Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dylan
  • 1 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Is Craiglist reliable to find an apartment?

New User

Default Is Craiglist reliable to find an apartment?

Thanks =)

No. Especially in Miami, it is full of scams. I mean, you might find a decent place or two, but craigslist here is particularly scam ridden. I'd avoid it at all costs if I were you.

It's a good place to find realtors, not apartments. Find a good realtor then deal with him directly.

It can be. I found my current place via craig's list.

I saw the listing, called the number, and scheduled a viewing with the person who placed the add, which was a realtor.

As with any online stuff, you just have to be smart about these things. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

yah i've had good results using Craigslist also -- you do have to really pay attention and do your homework/legwork in checking the stuff out.... but if you are smart and willing to do the research, it can be a good resource...

Default Re: Is Craiglist reliable to find an apartment?

If its a professional looking listing, its done by a realtor and 99% of the time, its not their listing and they have no information about it...Deposit requirements? Pets? "Oh I don't know, let me find out" and never hear back.

There are private owners on there and for the most part, they are very nice and easy to work with if you aren't a scumbag. I've met lots of nice private owners on there, but I spent literally hours a week sifting through all the b.s., scams, etc.

Rule #1: if its too good to be true, it is
    Rule #2: if they won't meet you at the place, they are a rental agency which is usually full of time-wasters and scammers (see my blog about rental agencies: http://sobespace.com/Rental-Agencies-FAQ )
    Rule #3: If the phone number is in the title, its probably a rental agency]
    Rule #4: No phone number in the ad is usually a good sign of a private owner
    Rule #5: always run the address in the miami dade public records to see if its in pending foreclosure. If it is, your rent money is going straight to their pockets and you'll be given a nice 30-day notice to vacate one day from the local sheriff

u can just use caution. it doesnt cost u to use a realtor so mite aswell take advantage of that

i found realtors to be more of a pain in the behind than worth it. It sounds like a great deal, but in the end IMHO they're just a waste of flickin time - waiting on a "middleman" to do stuff I can do myself more quickly and thoroughly.

the first two I called (both rental agencies) couldn't even be bothered to even slow down and talk professionally, or even ACT like they cared about doing business - both sounded like they had better things to do; gave a fast rundown, and rushed me off the phone. since they clearly did not need any business, LOL, i didn't use their services. others i contacted via e-mail replied asking for my specifics; then also never followed up with me once I replied to them with my info. The one that did reply sent a bunch of listings that totally did not fit what I had requested....

I met with the third one I called, who was much better on the phone, and for the hour we spent together going over listings, he was indeed very helpful.... although i expected them to have listings i would not find on my own, but they didn't have much that I had not already seen listed on Craigslist/MLS/Hotpads/Oodle/Herald Classifieds. he sent me out to check on one place to see if the parking situation would work for me; i notified him in the affirmative, after which he was to follow up with me for an actual appointment to view the place -- never heard another PEEP from him, despite two followup voicemails from me .....and the next day that same place was also posted on CL.

so really they did not do anything for me that I couldn't do myself, except annoy the hellouttame.

in the end it didn't matter cause i found my place by walking around in person --

but IMHO the realtors on CL are a waste of effin time. Conversely, i HAVE had consistent positive results on CL when i've trolled thru the ads for private owners and dealt with them directly...... re-iterating the previous caveat about doing that research, public records search, etc.

Personally, my experience has been that taking my own responsibility for the research and legwork has yielded much better results than anything realtors can do. it's way more satisfying -- and way less annoyance & wasted time waiting on boneheads - if i just do it myself.
    Last edited by Catt; 08-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobespace View Post

Rule #5: always run the address in the miami dade public records to see if its in pending foreclosure. If it is, your rent money is going straight to their pockets and you'll be given a nice 30-day notice to vacate one day from the local sheriff
    Best advice on here.

This is a MUST. It has happened to me, and many I know. Always check!

I have never gotten a place off of Craigslist but I also have never gotten ripped off from Craigslist.
    Mario likes this.

Well here we are 1 year later. I've sinced moved again and decided enough was enough.

I'm now a licensed Real Estate agent in Miami Beach and am going to do my part to 'change the culture' here on the beach. I still work at Doral (Pending trump take over) so I'm hoping in 4-5 months I can be doing this full-time. Already in my first week i have 1 rental completed and 2 more people to meet with so things are going well. Amazing how the clients say to me "You've been so nice and easy to work with". Amazing what having manners will do for you.....and in the rare case I actually 'miss' a call, I return it immediately.

So if anyone needs a friendly, reliable, real estate agent for buying/selling/renting, let me know and I'd love the opportunity to change your mind about Miami Realtors!
    Matt Meltzer likes this.