Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: A New Look and Direction for MB411

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Re: A New Look and Direction for MB411

rk, you're right. At present, the relocation section is hard to find. I'll see if we can fix that. In the meantime, the best way to find those types of answers is by typing your question into the the search box.

Also, on the "Plan Your Trip" page, you can find a collection of some of our best articles, arranged by city, that all pertain to living here.

In Phase 2, we have more relocation info and tools planned for the website.

Looks Groovy !

The only minor issue I'm having has to do with the margin on both sides of the content. After I open a topic, it skews all the way to the left. Can this be because of how I have my settings ?

I am loving the articles in the Plan Your Trip section! Jess, great job on the article about how to get cheap hotel rooms! I had no idea you could call the hotel directly and ask for the discounted rate, but it makes sense. Can't wait to try that one out! Tons of great articles in that section!!

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Exactly, Forum is even better than Travel Forum. It conveys what it really is, a forum for advice about things relating to travel and more, such as relocation. Somehow the new design forgot to include relocation advice as one of the things to highlight. Maybe that can be rectified later?
    If I can say a few more words about the new name, these are the benefits I see:

- The name "Traveler's Helpline" conveys more meaning and sends a stronger message for a user to take action and click the link

- By not having a direct link to the forum in the main navigation, it's import to have a strong, easily recognizable name/phrase that will pop out in the sub menu.

- From my experience, the word "Forum" is not as globally recognized as we may think. I'm not saying, "Traveler's Helpline" is more widely known, but it does covey more meaning on what a user will can expect to find.

For a person who's never heard of either expression, what sounds more inviting?..

- Go to the forum and and ask question.
    - Go to the traveler's helpline and ask a question.

From my perspective, for a person who's a little shy to join and ask a question, a traveler's helpline sounds more welcoming.

At times, I wonder if there are some people who think the word "Forum" sounds dull, elitist, and for brainiacs only.

I'm not sure. When I hear the term "traveler's helpline" I might hesitate to click on it out of fear that it might be some kind of chat. Like it'll make a screen come up and someone will be like, "Hello? Hello? Why aren't you answering me?!" If you wanted to avoid the word "forum", you could call it the "communal cabana" or something social and tropical-sounding. I miss our skyline, too. That was one of the more striking things about the site. I know there's a new one at the bottom, but it's not as interesting or visible as the old one at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I am loving the articles in the Plan Your Trip section! Jess, great job on the article about how to get cheap hotel rooms! I had no idea you could call the hotel directly and ask for the discounted rate, but it makes sense. Can't wait to try that one out! Tons of great articles in that section!!
    Thanks! Yes, I am the Queen of booking travel, and all those things work. I booked the Catalina for one night last month at $79. Trip Advisor was selling it at $129 and the hotel itself at $150. So I used my cheap tricks

Those are some pretty good tricks Jess. That is a really good rate.

I like the skyline at the bottom. And I love the gradiant blue color..it's the perfect color and I like how it gets darker towards the bottom. I might have to have a new avatar that picks up on the new color.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I like the skyline at the bottom. And I love the gradiant blue color..it's the perfect color and I like how it gets darker towards the bottom. I might have to have a new avatar that picks up on the new color.
    A picture of Ginger by the sea?

I like the new skyline also, and I really like how the lower buildings are grey while fred's penthouses are in color.
    Michelle and Christy like this.

Yeah what IS up with the left alignment?

Im not sure if its been said or not as i havent read the whole thread but i got lost when trying to navigate the main page to the forums. Personally i think a forum button should be there.... luckily i can just type the letter 'f' in my browser and it brings up the forums.... otherwise i would have been lost since i hadnt seen or read this thread before the change :p

Gus

Hey wpns4l, sorry we got you lost.

To get to the forum from the homepage, or any other new page on the site, you need to click the "Traveler's Helpline" link.

I hope people will get used to how to get here, but if we get too many complaints, we'll consider adding the forum link back to the main navigation.

Gus, I think we should feature one of the travel tip articles on the home page..sort of rotate the new articles that are on the site now.

Gus

Good suggestion, Christy. Right now, we have a rotating banner on the homepage. The 3rd banner in rotation features a funny article about tips to destroy your vacation. We're going feature a different tip, every few weeks. The really good tips will get bumped up to the 1st rotation slot.

Gus

wpns41, we're listening to your suggestion. On the homepage, we're going to add a prominent link that reads "Forum" in the next few days.

Thanks for your feedback.
    rk and Matt Meltzer like this.

Gus

Hope you all don't mind, but I'm going to move this thread back to the Announcements category where it started.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    wpns41, we're listening to your suggestion. On the homepage, we're going to add a prominent link that reads "Forum" in the next few days.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Great, please don't forget my request to add a "Today's Topics" link on the Forum page. I miss many posts without it. I know there is such a link, but it is useless for me as you have to be logged in to see it in its present incarnation.

Gus the Helpful Links page is awesome! Links to traffic cameras, currency converters, cab fares, accomodation sites, blogs... it has it all.

Gus

Thanks, Jess. We have the traffic cameras site open all day. They got 5 cams, just along the MacArthur Causeway.

FYI, this morning, we added a "Forum" link on the homepage. Mike also has a note to add the same link on the forum sub menu.

You beat me to that link Owl.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast