Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: How is the life as hired on a cruise ship?

Question How is the life as hired on a cruise ship?

Soon I will work as a waitress on a cruise ship in USA.Somebody knows how is the life there?How is the work on a cruise ship?Someone can tell me?I know,the american people are so friendly but I don't know how is the life in America,what you like,how have to be a waitress in your country.I wanna be good in everything I do.I like to work with people,I have experience but just in Europe.European peoples are diferent ,we have another type of rules,another life,another style.If you know somethings about this job,please tell me.Tks

Default Re: How is the life as hired on a cruise ship?

Life here is like a canvas. It's a matter how you stroke your brush. It could be very good, very bad, or anything inbetween.
    Suppose that's how you define " Freedom."
    rk likes this.

Blurya -

Unfortunately, most cruise ships do not operate under the American Labor laws. Most ships are registered in other countries. Even for "American" cruise companies such as Carnival, their ships are registered in Panama or Bahamas, so are not subject to American labor laws. What this mean for you is that ypu will not be experiencing anything that is typical of the American work experience. Some people enjoy working on cruise ships. For others, they have reported very difficult working conditions. I hope it is good for you, but you might want to keep other option open if it does not go well for you.

Best luck with it.

Glenn

The passengers will be American, but not the crew. The crew will be from all over the world. Depending on the ship it will be 2 or 4 in a cabin in the crew decks.

I worked on a ship once and had the best time ever. No better way to see the world, unless you're a millionaire. You are getting paid to travel, it's awesome.

I would love to get work on a cruise ship. I know a couple of them hire on dive instructors but most require that you have a 100+ certifications before they hire you which i dont have. I would also love to get into private yacht crewing. Good money to be made there since usually all housing and expenses are paid while at sea so everything you earn you save for the most part.

rk

All good advice above. You will be working on a ship with most of your fellow employees from Europe, Asia or the Caribbean. Most of the passengers will be Americans on vacation, and compared to Europeans, you will find them more friendly, outgoing, gregarious, generous, unassuming, and easy to talk with. This is of course, in general, not for every person. If you remember to smile and have a can-do attitude you will have no problem. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Blurya -

Unfortunately, most cruise ships do not operate under the American Labor laws. Most ships are registered in other countries. Even for "American" cruise companies such as Carnival, their ships are registered in Panama or Bahamas, so are not subject to American labor laws. What this mean for you is that ypu will not be experiencing anything that is typical of the American work experience. Some people enjoy working on cruise ships. For others, they have reported very difficult working conditions. I hope it is good for you, but you might want to keep other option open if it does not go well for you.

Best luck with it.

Glenn
    Thank you.I go to work with my husband,I'm not alone on the cruise ship.I hope will be the great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    All good advice above. You will be working on a ship with most of your fellow employees from Europe, Asia or the Caribbean. Most of the passengers will be Americans on vacation, and compared to Europeans, you will find them more friendly, outgoing, gregarious, generous, unassuming, and easy to talk with. This is of course, in general, not for every person. If you remember to smile and have a can-do attitude you will have no problem. Good luck.

Thank you so much.I am a person who loves work with people,all my life I worked with people.I see here ,in this forum ,how are the americans,you guys are friendly, happy all the time.Everybody makes me feel so good here.

Yes,I know,how I told you,we have chosen this job because we love travel on the sea ,we live in a big city port of Romania,we needed money for our family and for a house,we don't have a house.I'm not so happy because I have to stay away for our daughter for 6 months,but for her we do everything in this life.