Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ultra questions

Default Ultra questions

I've never been to Ultra for starters .... continuing, I'll be 53 when it goes down in 2015. And I want to go.

I'm always in town for Ultra because of the Sony Open. For some reason, absent during other years, I got a peripheral taste. On my way to day sessions at Key Biscayne, I witnessed a parade of half naked women making their way across the river. It reminded me of those nights the LAPD was in cahoots with the pimps and the whole stable was let loose on Sunset Blvd.

Enough of that imagery. The honest truth is I was only seven during Woodstock. And till now there hasn't been an alternative to groove - if you will.

OK: here is where I ask the question on my needs. Before that, I noticed Ultra is scheming. They have three tiers of pricing. All of General Admission. Officially, you can buy a $549 pass today that gives you the same right as someone who bought same in April for $199.00. Then there is the second tier. All ready sold at $300 +.

That said, this is what I need or want to do; I only need Saturday night for two. Is this problematic because of the three day slate ? That's all I need. One night. The other thing I observed was the lack of boats in the bay all three nights. My Sunday plan includes having the skiff stationed as close to possible to the stage in the bay. I'm not going to deny my seven yr old or dog this opportunity.

To reiterate: I only need one night. Is this possible ?

Other option I've thought about is a North view with balcony at the Intercontinental and doing the Lux box thingy. My main balcony in BK faces SE.

I finally got a taste of Ultra last year because I was paying attention. This old geezer wants in.

Here are a couple of my Ultra posts from 2014 on insta ...........................

http://instagram.com/p/mJaEnLIYh-/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/p/mF7cUOIYnA/?modal=true

Default Re: Ultra questions

Hi Blackford Oakes!

I have been to 15 out of the 16 Ultras that have happened in Miami. I did not go to the 16th and will not go to the 17th due to the same reason. I feel that the presale early bird ( tier 1 and tier 2 this year ) ticket sales are a scam. If they even do exist, my best guess is that there may be 5-10 of these tickets for sale. Last year and this year when trying to get tickets I had five friends, including myself all on 4 different devices. We started clicking refresh every 3 seconds for 5 min before they were to go on sale. Within 1 minute tier one and tier 2 were sold out both last year and this year. Last year it was a mess of errors and servers locking up and this year they put people into a waiting room and when time was up for you to buy tickets they were all gone. Only one person has been able to show screen print proof of obtaining a tier 2 ticket. Ive never had problems buying the lowest price tickets any other year. If you were there buying tickets the second they went on sale, you got the lowest price.

So.. to end my vent and get to my point. If you want to go just buy tier 3, pretty much 99% of everybody is anyway.
    It's an amazing event with an incredible production that is fun for people of all ages ( glad its 18+ now though ) - although sorry your daughter can't check it out now due to this. Honestly when kids could go they should have made it free under age 5 or whatever. Bringing children to a festival can be controversial but to me its just an event. Earplugs may be a good idea to save on the ear drums though. But there is just a limit to how much I will pay. The year that it happened two weekends in a row for three days each weekend was $600 for me. So I refuse to pay almost $500 for just ONE weekend. In my book $100 a day is plenty to pay. It doesn't even start at noon all three days anymore. So $300 is fair and $400 is the max I'll pay. Will I try to get those early birds again next year. Sure, but I will not EXPECT to ever again.

I miss the first Ultra parties that were not so packed it was hard to move, was one day long and ~ $30 to get into.

It's up to you if $450 is worth it to you to go. I do think its worth going to at least once in life, but not for over $400. Again that's just my opinion. I've been going to raves for over 20 yrs and have been to over 500 of them ( I stopped writing the number on the back of the flyer after I hit around 500 lol ) I just wish I traveled more to some of the other huge electronic music event like all the good California parties and ones in other countries before I was tied down to two dogs and can't travel other than for work and I bring the dogs with me ) My girl would shake non stop in a kennel and my boy would try to kill anyone who touched him in a kennel. Sigh)) ... But again, Ultra Miami is def worth going to once.

To answer your other question - you can't buy a one day pass. The ticket has 3 barcodes on it. If you tear off one the whole pass is invalid. If you buy one from someone who only wanted to use day 1 or 2 etc.. it could be fake so that's at your own risk. If you do try that make sure they go with you up to where they scan the ticket to prove its real

Have you ever watched the live feed of Ultra online? If you don't go, it is definitely great. Especially with a large screen TV, music pumping and friends over for drinks ( the pre-game for going out to other www.wintermusiconference.com events leading up to Ultra. )

Also if you happen to be in the area doing other things and are not attending Ultra, the free metro mover will give you a nice view of it from above once you are approaching bayfront station.

Can anyone else comment on if boats are not allowed on the bay by Ultra? I never had my attention focused on the water then and was thinking of driving the jetski over there for the hell of it during Ultra.
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 10-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks for the feedback. I did smell a rat as all three pricing tiers are for the same product.

As far as boats, I did notice a few boats nearby during the day. Don't see a way that can be stopped. That might be my best option as the all or nothing ticket won't work for me.

I tried a couple of yrs back to buy early bird and they were gone as soon as they went on sale. I agree, it's a scam. A few yrs ago I bought my early bird ticket for $99 with no problems. I missed last yr as a friend was in town but I'd go again. But hell no it's not worth $500.

Sometimes on the day of you can buy a one day pass at their box office but expect to pay for it.

Maybe there'll be a stampede like last year when hundreds crashed the gate and got in free. LOL !

You know that won't happen again as Ultra has to clean up it's operation because of that almost fatal incident that happened last year.

If you remember, some time ago I asked for workout music recommendations. Electronic Dance Music has been in inspiration for my cardio workouts and is probably the best contemporary stuff out there right now.

I agree the $500 price tag is steep as I only want to go one night. I'll play it by ear.

Buying one day is tough, but you have to do it on the second hand market or at the box office day-of. You can't do it through Ultra itself.

You're right, I don't see a lot of boats tied up over there, my guess is that's not a coincidence so you may have to trek over. Though that would probably be further from Brickell Key.

I actually don't mind the jacked-up Ultra tickets as it allows them to make their money and not have as many people there. Honestly I wouldn't even mind if they raised it to $1000 for 3 days. And it's 18+ this year, which will be a BIG improvement.

2015 I will go, as I missed this year. I do like Ultra, but I just don't think it justifies $500.

I went to Ultra this year, it was a great festival, amazing stage and production, but prohibitively expensive. What I did was that I bought a ticket outside the gate on the 3rd day, from another ticket holder. He wanted $200 but I negotiated down to $150. A lot of people were doing this. I got in at 3pm and left at 11. I haven't been to many raves, but I've gone to several rock concerts, and the Ultra stage blew them all away.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I went to Ultra this year, it was a great festival, amazing stage and production, but prohibitively expensive. What I did was that I bought a ticket outside the gate on the 3rd day, from another ticket holder. He wanted $200 but I negotiated down to $150. A lot of people were doing this. I got in at 3pm and left at 11. I haven't been to many raves, but I've gone to several rock concerts, and the Ultra stage blew them all away.
    Mario, we pretty much fall into the same category. The nearest I can personally relate was the Stones concert in 88. It was an all day thing with six bands. Prince opened up when he was an unknown and got all types of crap thrown at him.

There are probably ticket holders worn out of two days of Molly and don't have enough juice for the third day, and want to sell the last bar code. I'll keep that in mind.

I don't fit the typical prototype for Ultra but I did become enthused last year. From the Island view balcony, that rainy Saturday night, I got to see lights bouncing of buildings and some semblance of the music. For some reason, any think said on stage with "F" was heard clearly. When the rain stopped, I took the dog for a walk and had a good view of the stage interplay from the SE corner of Brickell Key.

I recently taken to this music and this will as equivalent that Woodstock feel I'll experience in my lifetime. Two bills sounds reasonable for the last night. Isn't that when they save the best for last. I'll be aiming for David Guetta if he's a performer in 2015.

Lol, Matt Meltzer and I both agreed one Ultra that Guetta was the worst dj there. Never bothered to hear him since.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Last year I went to a boat party during Ultra and there were plenty of boats there, I think it's allowed but i don't think you'll have a good sound

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Lol, Matt Meltzer and I both agreed one Ultra that Guetta was the worst dj there. Never bothered to hear him since.

Wow ! I'm still a novice with these sounds and like Guetta's vibe as far as my workouts go .... and in general. . Still seeking other talent to listen to.

In you opinion: Who are the must see's / listens ? I'm like into that acid feel of Glasgow and symphonic beats.

My plan is either go on Saturday ( on-site ) if possible or at a minimum, take the skiff, which is docked in a KB Marina, after Men's Final of Sony Open.

The other possibility is having a BBQ in BK Saturday night and simulate the event on a feed. The stage would be within view and the play of the lights.. That's a possible cool meet-up option that might develop.

Name:  bbq.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  19.0 KB

Lol don't you worry about typical prototype. There are plenty of people over 40 who have been going to these things for years or are new to it. Guetta * cough sell out * He has some good tunes but hes just too mainstream for me. If you have the EDM channel on your tv listen to it, pandora website too. Search guetta on pandora and it will come up with similar artists and you can branch off fromthere to find other DJs that you like. Its hard to say who are the must see djs since it all depends on what you like. There are MANY different types of electronic music. Thats like saying, if i go to a candy store what are the must have candies to buy? I personally love ATB, 3lau, Deadmau5 and some oldskool DJ Icey and BabyAnne. I know a bunch of other djs from the raves back in the north east that most people don't know as well as others who are amazing but not as well known as these commercial DJs of like Venom, Micro, X-Dream, Howhard, Bam Bam, etc.. I mean the list can go on. You're best best is doing up the music channels and pandora website and let it give you a bunch to check out. Pump it while cleaning the house or whatever and you'll soon learn what floats your boat. Stay away from the dubstep type of electronic music though. YUCK hate the sound of that. The new jack kids seem to like it but to me it sounds like a robot having a seizure after a heroin overdose.

Here is my playlist on youtube to check out. Its has a lot of my favorite electronic music.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B7364BCB76746B

as far as the " molly " ya true about that with them being worn out by day 3. Drives me nuts that its even cool to call it molly these days. and that whole " have you seen molly " slogan. Molly is pure MDMA. its was hard to get back when I was messing around with that stuff and these days im sure its even harder to get now days. So those little ravers haven't seen molly either. Just stuff that is mo and more stepped on and pressed with garbage. Glad I go out of the experimental drug phase when I did.

start a techno conversation with a raver and the chat could go on forever LOL don't start going kandi on us now. Although I knew a super old skool raver named Eddie who was 62, hit all the raves in the northeast and wore tons of kandi. If you dont know what kandi is, google image kandi raver LOL. Its like a rainbow had a baby with caffeine and plastic.
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 10-19-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Guetta's set in 2010 or whenever it was me and Jess went was the WORST set I've ever heard at Ultra. He played Apple Bottom Jeans. End of story. He's steered away from incporating hip hop in his music and isn't as terrible as he was 5 years ago. I don't mind the poppy stuff as much as when everybody had a rapper in their song.

Blackford, when they announce the lineup we can give you some pointers.
    Jess and ShannonSoBe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Guetta's set in 2010 or whenever it was me and Jess went was the WORST set I've ever heard at Ultra. He played Apple Bottom Jeans. End of story. He's steered away from incporating hip hop in his music and isn't as terrible as he was 5 years ago. I don't mind the poppy stuff as much as when everybody had a rapper in their song.

Blackford, when they announce the lineup we can give you some pointers.
    I might be late into the this game. What I perceive here is Guetta is now playing the money game utilizing pop personalities. I'm going to have to agree with you there. Though listenable, I prefer his sound without Chris Brown, Usher or Minaj props.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

It was 2010. Wow. FIVE years ago!!!

lol Blackford up * cough sell out cough *

you're not late in the game unless you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post
    lol Blackford up * cough sell out cough *

you're not late in the game unless you're dead

Per your prior advise, today I tuned in my SiriusXM app on BPM and expanded the horizon a bit with different artists.

I'm also following Ultra on FB. They posed a question yesterday on who the public wants to see in Ultra2015. Guetta was rarely mentioned, and I got a list of peeps to tune into.

cool.

try pandora.com too it will give you slightly less commercial djs

for artists on pandora enter:

ATB
    Deadmau5
    Baby Anne

each one will lead you into a different techno sound direction
    if you don't like it just click down and it will bring you to the next song.
    if you click down enough it may ask you to sign up to continue but basic memberships are free

I'm always adding songs I love to my techno play list that I linked you to a few posts back so check it out when you're bored
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 10-23-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Cool !

In regards to my "'Molly" mention: I was only trying to be hip. LOL !

Back in the day, when disco came out, I was in my howling prime. Summer of 79.

As seventeen year old, that meant our group invading Geno's It was a gay club on Vine St ( Hollywood) till we got there. I don't know about today's acid. I was exclusively four way window pane that Summer. We eventually got certified and hit 21+ clubs and rock joints on the Sunset Strip...till one day. That was the evening we tried Red Dragon. The trip was so bad, I went home barefooted from the club. Don't know how that happened , but I wouldn't be surprised if I found out.

Luckily for me, dabbing in that stuff only lasted that Summer. It was a great trip and experience. I even penned a letter to Leonid Brezhnev while I was kiting and even answered every question on Jeopardy while coming down.

I mentioned that because there is a thing called " muscle memory." This awakened my liking to electronic music reconstituted that old feel and vibe. I'm older now and have graduated to Jazz and Vivaldi. Opera is next, but not right now. These Electric compositions of today are classical in nature. It draws me closer than whatever Katy Perry or top 40 today does. It's Tommy Dorsey without the brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast