Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default "New kid in town"

Hey everyone.

I am so glad I found this website, I just went through a lot of useful tips for the last few hours.
    Thanks to the writers.

Anyway, here's why I'm posting here :>

I arrived a little more then a month ago in Miami Beach, I am coming from France.

I graduated in my french High School and as my father works at the MDC since a year I had the opportunity to come take my classes here for free. I couldn't miss this occasion !

I am 18 years old, and I'm a party guy.

In France or Ibiza (where I used to go in vacations) I was going to parties, lounges or nightclubs pretty often, and I really loved it.

The thing is, everything seems to be illegal for me here being 18 years old, and I don't want to lose my nightlife habits.
    For example, last week I went for dinner in the Nexxt restaurant and I couldn't even drink a Martini, that sucked.

My problem is I do not look like a 21 year old guy, so that could be an issue trying to get in clubs.
    When I wasn't 18 I would enter nightclubs in France without too much difficulty, but I guess in the United-States they are too much relying on the LAW. (and that's ironic when you know the United-States from another country's point of view)

I heard there was a nice party at the DeLano every Tuesday night. I was able to enter last week at roughly 11 p.m., and stay until 1:30 a.m., so I do not know if it is harder to get into other parties/nightclubs, if I was lucky, or if the 5 door-men where already drunk.
    Maybe is it because I dress correctly when I go out at night? (leather shoes, high-quality jeans and usually nice shirts, the kind of stuff you would find in Source or whatever nice shop on Lincoln Road)

I am majoring in Business Administration at the MDC (classes started last week), so as you can assume, there isn't much of people that have a night-life in my classes, so I figured I had to make some friends elsewhere.

My problem is... where?

I heard young people liked to hang out in the Malls during the days (LOL, what the fuck? this is stupid), so do you suggest me going there and... try to meet people?
    It's not really in my ethics, is sounds really weird to me, but if you guys say I have to.. Then I'll give it a try.

I went to the beach a few times but I couldn't help noticing there was almost no-one around my age (let's say 16-20). There were tourists with their kids or older locals, which isn't really interesting for me. Or maybe wasn't I looking at the right beach?

So yeah, as you can imagine, I am pretty much looking for advices and looking for people to hang out with, have fun, etc.

Oh yeah by the way, I am used to go to friends' houses for occasional parties (like New Year, birthdays, Valentine's Day, etc...) at around 9-10 p.m. and for the rest of the night, drink, have fun, meet friends of friends of friends, maybe sleep over and get off at noon with your hung-over mates etc...

Do Americans do that as well?
    And if yes, what are the general festive days of the year you like to make parties? (I hope my sentence was clear enough).

Thanks to everyone for reading ;)

Suzanne C

Hi FrenchFreshMan and welcome to the forums!

You sound like any other 18 year old in Miami. Having once been 18 in this town too I can tell you that not being local and knowing "people" is what's currently holding you back. Don't let the age thing be a deterrent though, you just need to meet some people and luckily you already know it!

With that said, please don't go to the mall. Yes there are huge malls with movie theaters and restaurants where people hang out (inside the restaurants and theaters 'cuz Malls usually close by 10PM) but why would you bother with that when you have the best opportunity right under your nose...Hello!!! MDC???

You're a college kid now and those other kids in your classes, the cafeteria, and even the library, odds are they're locals and some might even have their own apartments (i.e HOUSE parties). This is your "in" Frenchie. Talk to the girls. Here's a CLUE: use your charm. I suspect you have ze Frehnch accehnt? I was salivating over the whole "I party in Ibiza bit," imagine the 18 yr olds...and as far as the beach is concerned, only tourists and stay at home moms go during the week; everyone else is either @ school or working. Hit the area anywhere south of 11th (but primarily 5th to 10th) on the weekends for the real action and you'll be partying in no time.

Oh yeah by the way, I am used to go to friends' houses for occasional parties (like New Year, birthdays, Valentine's Day, etc...) at around 9-10 p.m. and for the rest of the night, drink, have fun, meet friends of friends of friends, maybe sleep over and get off at noon with your hung-over mates etc…
    That's what we do too- what exactly do they say about Americans over there?

And if yes, what are the general festive days of the year you like to make parties? (I hope my sentence was clear enough).
    This is Miami, Frenchie- we don't need a 'festive day.' For us, partying is a sport.

New User

Hello Suzy, and thank you for your answer :)

Well, first of all, I guess I might be a little bit disoriented in my own college (MDC: Wolfson), maybe because I'm not use to be the minority ethnicity?

About my accent, well, I try not to have a French accent and I do my best to have an American one, you will probably say I am dumb and I shouldn't do that, so I will have to consider it.
    I know my father has been working for years in America and still has his French accent and moans about it all day long so I guess this is why I'm trying not to have it.

About meeting people in MDC, you know, it seems like everyone wants to stay in his own bubble (it might my case as well unfortunately, unconsciously), and for the week of class I have been through, I can't say I have been talking to a lot of people.

Well, I hope the weather will be clever this week-end so I can go to the beach (note to myself: between 5th and 10th) and maybe see and meet some young people there (how do you call people between teenagers and adults? people that are around my age :p).
    Do they usually play Beach Volley? That would be a good way to be introduced, joining a game with a player missing.

So yeah, I've heard about fake IDs, saw some tips on that same website, but I think it isn't a good idea as people usually instantly KNOW I am not 21. Doormen aren't dumb, they know fake IDs are usual (I guess), so it could cause me more problems then it could help.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    That's what we do too- what exactly do they say about Americans over there?
    Well, you have to know the United-States of America is the most hated country worldwide.
    So yeah, in France like elsewhere, people tend to criticize, without even knowing if it's true or not. You know how Media brainwash people... You have the same problem here, and it's even worse :P

Everyone has seen American Pie or some other film where students would party all night long, so I wanted to be sure it was true. And it seems like :) So I'm really glad to be here.

Thanks for reading :)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, FrenchFreshMan, welcome to MiamiBaeach411. Thanks for posting your questions here.

Clubs in Miami are pretty strict in keeping underage people out.

I'm happy to hear you got to party at the Delano. I would imagine hotel lounges are easier to party at than night clubs. Did you happen to notice if the doormen at the Delano were carding anyone that night?

It sounds like you're doing your best to meet new people.

Starting around March and going through September, you'll find lots more people hanging out at the beach.

I was really enjoying your "Coming to America" story until I can across this..

Well, you have to know the United-States of America is the most hated country worldwide.
    Why do you think it is?

You know how Media brainwash people… You have the same problem here, and it's even worse :P

Everyone has seen American Pie or some other film where students would party all night long, so I wanted to be sure it was true. And it seems like :) So I'm really glad to be here.
    I guess movies can brainwash people, too. :P

We're glad you're here, too. Stop by anytime.

New User

Hey Gus, thanks for your answer.

First of all, I have to say I am not in the "hating America" category, otherwise I won't be living here, I hope your understood that :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    I was really enjoying your "Coming to America" story until I can across this..

Why do you think it is?
    Well, I do not think, I know.

You know how number 1 always gets criticized and teared down.

Well, it's the same with United-States.

Countries you're at war with hate you, this is obvious.
    All the other countries, that aren't at war, tend not liking you.

If you want me to be honest, I would say the main "image" that the United-States give worldwide is having a "dumb" president.
    I know a hole bunch of you guys do not really like him and make fun of him, but you have no idea how it is in other countries, they make fun of it even worse.

And when I say "Media brainwash", I mean that everything we hear in the Media worldwide is bad things about United-States, so the people that don't get, and don't want, to know a little bit more about just think the United-States are bad.

Like I said before, in France it's starting to get better since our new President is totally pro-American (I don't know if you heard about him, he came visit a couple of times New York and other big cities, came in vacations in your country, talked to your President and high-ranked people etc).

And for the "brain-washing" about American Pie, you maybe misunderstood me, but the reason why I came here was to ask if it was true. Maybe you missed my point :)

Anyway, I hope that helped :>

Coming back to my questions, thanks for saying it's easier to enter in a Hotel then in a Club, this helps me :) I am going back to the DeLano anyway tomorrow, there's a party or something I've been told.

Thank you for your warm welcome.

Have a nice day, and thanks for reading :)

Hey brother,

I understand your problem with meeting new people I moved to Denver when I was 19. Not exactly another country but certainly another part of the US. My advice is just give it time. It can be hard to warm up to people at school. Do they have clubs there? That can be a great way to meet people find something your into maybe a film club or amnesty international if thats your gig.

It sounded like there were a few people interested in playing volleyball on here last time someone suggested it. That could be a good way for some newbies to feel a little less like strangers. If you want we could post a date and see who shows up.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

FrenchFreshMan, I was just kidding around about "American Pie," trying to point out that those sexy, coming of age films can brainwash us into believing that's how partying and sex really is. Then again, my high school experience wasn't very different from the film.

Speaking of films, have you seen Michael Moore's documentary "Sicko" about America's health care industry? That movie made the French health care system look wonderful!

With the French government offering so many health care service, you'd think taxes in France must be really high.

In France, does the middle class complain of high taxes?

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    In France, does the middle class complain of high taxes?
    Of course, and it is actually the main problem since so many years.

In fact, the government even mentioned it wouldn't be impossible that the Health Care system would change.

Because our taxes in France are way to high, they are EVERYWHERE, and in addition, the government is in debt (well, not as much as the United-States, but still :D)

Our health care system is very good, yes, everyone gets to be taken care of if they are sick, ill, or got in any kind of accident, whoever they are.

That's the French mentality, but it is also true it has a slight chance to change in the upcoming decades.