Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes

Thread: My 1st ( quasi ) Rave

Default My 1st ( quasi ) Rave

For a couple of years, I've had the desire to attend Ultra Music. Till now, I've been satisfied to be in Miami during the last three UMF's and enjoy it's sounds, lights and effects bounce of nearby buildings. I cover the little one's ears each time someone belches out, " Miami, are F'n ready ! " My little knowledge of these events have proven that DJ's need to get original and personal working up the crowd.

Have yet to pull the trigger and commit for three day pricing, when one or two days will do.

I have my favorites, and I have an opportunity to see Kygo next month. It's a strong enough urge that I'll might forgo options such as a meet-up at a bar for the game vs. Notre Dame or an (if necessary ) MLB playoff game vs. the Mets.

Never been to a similar event. I'm 53 and actually going solo. I get the jest of it watching videos while I treadmill, but any heads ups will be appreciated. The setting is assigned seating in a amphitheater setting, which contrasts to the norms I've seen. Here's an image of The Greek Theatre which I haven't visited since I had zits and saw Alice Cooper. Name:  greek.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  208.5 KB

As far as gear, a knit Trojan helmet with matching Cardinal & Gold sunglasses. Thinking about buying a rubber sword as an accessory. Oh... I'll be wearing cargo shorts and a T with a an Aztec image in head gear reading, " Unidos Somos Chingones." An obvious acronym for my U.

This is unchartered territory for me. Love Kygo's soft melodies, so this might be an excellent primer for the heavier energetic stuff as I like that too, in March.

All ears for insights, as I recognize Miamians are primed for this sh!t.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...176DE7E0962D46

Default Re: My 1st ( quasi ) Rave

You'd be able to buy a 1 day ticket for ultra on the day of, just by standing outside and asking around. Go!

You'll have a "seat" but I doubt anyone will be sitting. If you're ok with that, it should be fun. A different experience to say the least, though I think Kygo at the Greek will be pretty different from what you'd see at Ultra, so bear that in mind.

Oh yeah, good point. You'll be on your feet the entire time you're there. Arm yourself with a red bull...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Oh yeah, good point. You'll be on your feet the entire time you're there. Arm yourself with a red bull...
    I expected that. No worries. I have a penchant for not sitting. I'm looking forward to Kygo which is two weeks from today. Prior to that. I'm getting lost in nearby mountain ranges with an expected d 25 miles logged in . Knowing a seat is there is kind of reassuring, but I'm sure adrenaline will kick in. My first event of this genre, and couldn't think of a better artist to break me in.

As far as Ultra, I got in at $324. Unlike the previous years, Miami Open is just getting started when Ultra opens. That means I'll have a longer day in Key Biscayne and hit Ultra in late afternoon. All depends on the line-up.

If anyone is going, let me know and thanks for all the great advise.

Matt always goes, if I get a ticket I will let you know!

Yeah I'll hit you up for sure Blackford. And let us know how Kygo goes. Take pictures! (like we had to tell you that)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah I'll hit you up for sure Blackford. And let us know how Kygo goes. Take pictures! (like we had to tell you that)
    The Dodgers claiming home field had this choice easier and definite. That Saturday LAD is playing in NYM freeing me up from titter totter.

Yep, pictures forthcoming.

This concert was a nice experience, and Kygo lived up to what I expected. Gallant warmed up the crowd, which was, meh.

I didn't take pictures but I copied Jess and Matt in on my Instagram video.

LA is light years behind Miami. It looked more like a Barry Manilow crowd than anything else.

Yeah EDM and its assorted performances is something we really do better than anywhere in America. I saw a few shows when I was out in SoCal and none lived up. But I didn't have much expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah EDM and its assorted performances is something we really do better than anywhere in America. I saw a few shows when I was out in SoCal and none lived up. But I didn't have much expectation.
    It was a could thing, I didn't break out with my Fess Parker outfit for this concert. I'm saving that raccoon hat for Ultra.

Nonetheless, I wasn't disappointed and had a great time with two gals from Seoul that clung with me or I with them. We almost got kicked out of a booth, and the event because this guy donning a Mariachi hat thought me too boisterous at his arts and craft stall.... and I'm a tame guy.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to my first Ultra this March.

Though LA is a great venue for other genre, it's populace can't handle EDM.

Miami + 1

It's official. UMF is drawing ~$70 from an account for the next 5 months. Unless I default, I'm in.

As I said before, my expectations were let down when I saw Kygo in LA.

For three years now, I've been covering my daughter's ear every time ... " Miami are you F,n Rready " is belched. I also don't appreciate DJ's ( Guetta's and the like ) pleading to put your hand's up.

Anyways, in LA, I settled for shuttle parking at the pony rides in Griffith Park for $7. If you're familiar, it's behind the choo-choo train. LOL.

As soon as I stepped on the shuttle, I was so glad I didn't dress up as one of the 300. It was polyester white dudes with their arm around their Asian gf. Even a novice like me knows, Asians thrive for EDM. Used that to my advantage once at the scenario.

AS far as a venue, the Greek sucks. My only other time there was for a Alice Cooper concert.

You guys kinda of know me. On three occasions, ushers told me to calm down and chill. They didn't mention it to the two Japanese girls I was gyrating or " "Sexual Healing" with. That's probably why I never frequented The Greek eight blocks from where I lived.

UMF might be old hat for some, I'm looking forward to it in March.

POK... this weekend kinda of made it official. I went to EDC in Orlando.

Though my back was protesting, I ventured towards the stage as the dj's got better, especially Calvin Harris. Prior to that I was streaming USC football game and other stuff at this baseball stadium venue.

Unlike my dull audience experience at the Greek last week for Kygo, the sh!t walking and hanging on Brickell Ave. in the middle of the day during Ultra was in abundance at Tinker Field.

My note to myself is I need to get healthy for at least 2 of 3 days in March... and lose 20 lbs.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

I probably said this before in another ( I can't find ) thread.

My Ultra tix I gave away to my a political niece from Colombia. I holed myself up in Miami confines suffering a severe case of hives resulting from flea collars I bought in Costa Rica. We took in Lola, a beautiful Cockapoo, and she came with fleas.

Anyways, the niece didn't show up that Friday, so I went though I shouldn't have. It was a physical struggle. Kygo was a disappoint and a sneak -in change from Sat to Fri. As some do, I downloaded the Ultra app to plan and economize my schedule. It was way off, though after I handed the pass eventually to my niece, just afterwards I learned Deadmau5 was going to fill in to close the main stage on Sat. At that point, I already resigned due to health knowing I couldn't hit the ASOT stage on Sunday.

Hopefully next year, I'll have more hang time. As for now, I'm contemplating Sunset Music Festival next month. Tampa hotels are booked solid, yet I'll commit to two days and go one. It's only $159 for the two days. Accordingly some headliners, such as Hardwell and three others have committed to either Sat or Sun. The undercard has TBA. I know the principal is to go to the whole event which I'm not going to do .. even at Ultra. . If that group can't confirm which day REZZ is on stage within the next three weeks ( my main interest, ) I just might be sharing a Sex on the Beach straw with a sister from Atlanta during Urban Week.

Ultra is a long day, not everyone makes it to the end of the day unless they're on some hard drugs. Glad you went and finally saw it for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Ultra is a long day, not everyone makes it to the end of the day unless they're on some hard drugs. Glad you went and finally saw it for yourself!
    Thanks !

It was worth it, and better than 2015 when I only was able to hear murmurs ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/0yM7tWIY...blackfordoakes

So though I had physical issues to deal with, I liked the morsel I was treated to. More importantly, I believe EDM is musically principled and the best contemporary sounds being produced today.

Hopefully next year I'll have a bit of a longer hang time.