Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clubbing tips

New User

Default Clubbing tips

The Clubs:

General: Speak to various people, locals who run decent clothes shops, concierges, other tourists as to where to go on which nights and then make your mind up. From what I can tell some clubs come and go, get renamed and if there newish then they will be busy.

Cameo: Attracts age crowd 20 - 25, Friday nights are hard hip hop - busy, Sat nights - dance / house, not so busy. People I found are generally easier to talk to. No attitude on the door about who they let in. How refreshing.

Mansion: Friday / Sat nights - always busy. Friday can be too busy, plays house, rock, hip hop and Mash ups. The latter if your not familiar is where the DJ plays a tune, and you think I love this tune, after 40 secs he they starts to play another one and you WTF. This is obviously popular in Miami I guess otherwise the DJ wouldn't do it. Again, crowd is 20 - 25. More attitude in here, its kinda of like I'm hot and I know it place. Very loud in main dance room, you can barely speak to anyone without shouting. You will have to wait to get in if your male

SET: 3 floors, if your guys, you have to wait, even if no one else is queuing, they like a strict 50-50 girl guy ratio. Attracts a mixture of people and ages, but tend to be 25 upwards.

Tantra: Awesome place on Mondays - get in there if you can. Go early, 10:30pm. For girls I suggest you get there early than most clubs as it's so small they may have to turn you down but if you're seriously hot I doubt it LOL. You won't be disappointed. Best DJ I've heard whilst I was in Miami and I should know I do most big clubs in Ibiza. Mixture of ages, though only saw one group of girls that looked under 23 and they kinda looked out of place.

The Delano: Go on to the Rose Bar for drinks until 1-1.30am on a Tues or sat / sun. Serious hot girls and guys. Its ultra chic. Try and get RSVP through hotel Delano (free obviously if your staying at the Delano) via your concierge to get you into the Florida rooms, the club round the side.

Mokai: 220 capacity, quite dark and loud, serious eye candy for both sexes. Good music on a Tuesday, good to go to, straight after the Delano.

Club Space: Only gets going 2am plus. When we arrived at 5am people were still flocking in. Go on a Friday or Sat only. We left at 7.30am and it was still rocking.

Nikki Beach: Ultra chilled, bit of the Ibiza vibe going on here during the
    day. We went off season (September), and it wasn't busy but I imagine in
    season this is awesome.

Hotel Gaansvoort: The rooftop party on a Thursday is supposed to be wicked. We never went as we had this night off.

ID requirements:

We had to carry our passports everywhere with us just in case and me and my friend are both 32 and 33! These are the bars / clubs asking for ID...

Mansion, Dolce, Wet Willies, SET, Mango's

...and those that didn't...

Finnegans, Playwright, Lost weekend, Waxy O Connors, the duece - all dive bars.

Clubs: Tantra, Mokai, Cameo and we were not asked at Dolce either. I think this was plainly because we look a lot older than 21. Some people clearly weren't though (i.e. had fake id probably) and thats why the door men had have to ask for Id I guess.

Getting in Clubs:

If your a guy or a group of guys to ensure entrance without queuing either have:

1) A hot girl on your arm, two is better.

2) Get bottle service

3) If in a group split up into two's and get to the big clubs early, 11ish

If your a girl, just get there looking hot, i.e. with your chest hanging out with a short skirt - don't worry you won't be alone in doing this, and its hot enough to do, then if you can catch the bouncer eye and say two girls, and heh presto you bypass the queue. If they try and charge cover, come straight out to the bouncer and say the covers too much to pay entrance. He will ensure you get in for free or at least cheaper. However its likely you won't be charged anything at all.

Cover (entrance) prices

Expect to pay the following if your a guy.

Mokai, Florida rooms, cameo, SET, Opium / Prive, Club Nikki / Pearl, Space - $20

Mansion $30

Tantra $40

No charges at Dive bars or places on Ocean Drive.

Drinks Prices

These are pretty much the same everywhere in the clubs / decent bars:

$8 for a Heineken, corona, $12 for a spirit and mixer, usually the same for a shot as well, cocktails $14 dollars. Red Bull is $9 a can in some place. WTF.

They will be a bit cheaper in the Dive bars, so go there first if you want a few drinks to get yourself in the mood. However one thing the English do not share in common with the Americans is that we drink in general far more, its in our culture. This means they will always be room to get the bar. Awesome!

Other tips...

1) If you need to draw cash out, don't do it in the big clubs, as ATM's have a limit of $100 or $200 and they charge a $9 withdrawal fee, which may be in addition to your own banks charge.

2) Get taxis everywhere, they are inexpensive if you are staying in South Beach and believe me you'll be sweating (if your used to the climate) by the time you've walked somewhere.

3) Stay on Ocean Drive if your can, Collins and Washington will be noisy with cars and trucks from 6am onwards, just as you want to go to sleep. That is unless of course you are staying a high rise hotel on a higher floor.

4) Speak to your concierge as they can provide flyers that help you skip queues or get you free cover entrance. We made this mistake and only asked him on our last night.

Food / restaurant

Go anywhere on Ocean Drive, look at menus, most places are reasonable for Sobe i.e. around $40 for a drink and a main meal for two people. Most places on Ocean Drive do happy hours every night on food and drink between 5pm - 8pm but this was too early for us to start drinking or to eat our evening meal.

If anyone needs any advice, please asked and I will do my best to answer.

Later guys and girls

Tequilaman X

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Awesome clubbing tips, Tequilaman!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

You're write-up is so good, I'm going to make it a sticky post.

"Speak to various people, locals who run decent clothes shops, concierges, other tourists as to where to go on which nights and then make your mind up."
    That's the secret.

New User

Glad I could help.

I re-read this, in my haste, I realise my spelling sucks in places. Oh well, party on Miami! We will return next year. I missed the $64,000 question:

Do I get bottle service or not?

Bottle of vodka in most clubs with taxes & gratuity is approx $400.

Answers / Tips:

1) If your with a group of friends - well worth it if your staying in a club all night.

2) In some clubs its a minimum of 1 bottle per 2 people, in others its a minimum of 1 bottle per 4 people. In Tantra you had to buy a minimum of two bottles regardless to even get a table so you need to ask and don't be surprised if after you have finished your bottle you are asked to leave the table for someone else. This is just business people don't take it personally.

3) If you don't know what the club will be like i.e. music, busy, then don't bother, you can always get in and then ask for it later. There may not be space though if its mega busy.

4) If you prefer to mingle with the locals and other tourists then forget bottle service because usually the VIPs are upstairs on in corners of rooms and bouncers do not let anyone else in these areas. I personally did not travel all the way to Miami to sit with my mate on my own talking to each other - We can do that at home! Thats just my opinion.

5) Check out the club you are visiting that night if you fancy bottle service by visiting their website and seeing where the exact location of the VIP is in relation to the main areas. You will either like the fact that its so close to the main area or you may find its secluded upstairs and you may or may not prefer this.

6) If you do want bottle service, you usually have to confirm this on the night by ringing the club before 10pm.

7) Take your credit card as they need to hold it as a retainer. Though you can still ask to pay cash up front, they may still want to hold your card, this is just in case later when your intoxicated you order another bottle. Yes its a bit concerning that someone has your credit card all night. However if there ever is any fraudulent activity on your card, then when you tell the credit card company, the contract is between your credit card company and the club to sort out, end of story. That's why I never use a debit card. You shouldn't have any trouble though in the big clubs with this kind of thing.

New User

That is alot of helpful information. My girlfriend and I are coming out in March from California. I don't think I have every waited in line to get into a club or bar here. My question is at what time do most of these clubs open? If we are one of the first ones there we shouldn't have to deal with any lines right? And, are concierge's the only way to avoid the cover charges?

Thanks for your time

Clubs normally open around 11:30-midnight. No, concierges are not the only way to avoid cover. If you befriend one of the main promoters of the evening, and you are good looking... They will get you in under their list cost free.

We can help you to the best of our ability in getting in contact with the right people... Many promoters are members of the forums and are more than happy to help you!

I know people with:
    Cameo - fri/sat
    Mansion - fri/sat
    Mokai
    Cabana One
    Space - Saturdays
    Aerobar
    Parkwest
    Prive - sat
    Shore Club - sun
    Karu&Y - thurs
    Dream
    Segafredo
    Badrutt's
    Liv
    Blue Martini
    .... I can't think of the rest but I think you get the point... if you need help, let us know. We'll do our best!

New User

Thank you so much Kristine, sounds like we need to figure out where we would like to go and take it from there. We are really looking forward to our trip to SoBe! I will be in touch, thanks so much again.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    No, concierges are not the only way to avoid cover.
    Not all concierges can get their guests in free; I'd say, very few can, for that matter.

A concierge at Eden Roc told me, back in the day, he could get his guests in free, but now he can't. However, he still can help his guests avoid the line at the door.

The Eden Roc is a major hotel.

People should not assume, just because their hotel has a concierge, they can help you avoid the cover charge.

Gus

Luvwine, what hotel are you staying at?

Where in California are you from.

I'm from San Diego, near Encinitas.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Luvwine, what hotel are you staying at?

Where in California are you from.

I'm from San Diego, near Encinitas.
    I am the friend going with luvwine, hence the name. We are from Sacramento area. We luv all the advice. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to having fun for one night so what to make the best of it.... Unfortunately we are only there for one night. Staying on a friend's yatch in Fort Launderdale... free accomodations and on a boat, can't beat that...My girlfriend and I love to dance...

New User

We are staying at the Doubletree Sufcomber, actually spending most of the time at FLL on a friends yacht, unless I can talk my friend in to spending more time in SoBe, I am working on it! I am from Nor Cal, Lodi, about 40 miles south of Sacramento.

Gus

Cool. I went to 9th grade 40 miles north of Sacramento in Roseville.

The Surfcomber is one of the nicer hotels in Miami.

Sounds like you both are planning a fun trip!

You can party/dance at all the clubs on the beach until 5am.

For after hours, go to Space in Downtown.

Or watch the sunrise on the beach.

For an early breakfast, News Cafe and 11th Street Diner are open 24 hours.

The yacht in Fort Lauderdale sounds dope!

New User

Thanks again Gus for all of your help. And if I am not mistaken Happy Birthday!
    Maybe I will shoot you an email or give you a call when we get into town.
    Have an awesome day...

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Cool. I went to 9th grade 40 miles north of Sacramento in Roseville.

The Surfcomber is one of the nicer hotels in Miami.

Sounds like you both are planning a fun trip!

You can party/dance at all the clubs on the beach until 5am.

For after hours, go to Space in Downtown.

Or watch the sunrise on the beach.

For an early breakfast, News Cafe and 11th Street Diner are open 24 hours.

The yacht in Fort Lauderdale sounds dope!

Yeah, we have the boat all to ourselves. Three rooms... We were trying to get them to let us take it to Miami Beach but no luck. So is there places on the beach that are happening? Maybe walking distance from our hotel? Thanks everyone for all the info. I am glad I found your site.

New User

Going to South Beach next week and I'm looking for good places to go. Also, how crazy is it going to be next weekend?

New User

This is some great advice, thanks! I am headed to South Beach for the first time from Atlanta with 9 other girls for a bachelorette party. We're headed to Mansion on Friday and if anybody has any hook ups for covers, that would be amazing. Just thought I'd ask :)

New User

i'm 23 and going to south beach on friday. my only form of a picture id is my passport. i have my credit, debit, and insurance cards though. will that be enough?

New User

Me and group of 4 girls are planning to be in Miami around March 20-22. We are staying on collins ave. Just wanted to know of some clubs that play hip-hop and some great dance music in the area. Also if you could help us avoid cover charge. Thanks.

Sarahmichelle,

As far as getting into clubs/drinking in bars and restaurants...I don't know. If you are American, they may wonder why you don't have a driver's license or state ID. How do you get into places where you currently live?

My guess is a waiter/bartender would be OK with the passport, but be prepared to explain why you don't have another photo ID.

WoW...many great advices. I'm going to SoBe in April, so I still have plenty of time to plan out my long weekend there! But all this information really helps...thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm so sorry that no one has answered these questions!!!

Let me sum everything up in one:

Bachelorette party: I have a contact at Mansion. If you all are pretty and look good, I can get you all in free. Only the entrance will be waived.... NOT drinks. I dislike saying the physical beauty part of it but it's true... if the group collectively is not attractive, the doormen will deny free entrance immediately and make you wait in line and pay! It's mean... but that's SoBe!!

ID Situation: DO NOT BRING YOUR INSURANCE, CREDIT, WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, MACYS CREDIT CARD, ETC. It'll do NOTHING. You mentioned having a passport, you will need to bring that. Miami is such an International city that trust me flashing your passport is not out of the norm here... Please, don't show up with an insurance card! Does this actually work in any country because if so, I need to move there.... if they accept any paper with a name, that's an easy place to get away with murder. (figuratively speaking of course). They will not question you about a passport, I had a friend from New York that did not have her drivers license so she always used her passport, no one ever cared or asked anything.

Hiphop ladies: Here's a thread with a bunch of hip hop spots.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast