Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Nightlife for Grown-ups

So as many of you know my dh and I are planning a move to Miami at the end of October. We currently have 2 pre-move visits scheduled and maybe 1 more.

We are 30 & 35 no kids. We enjoy going out, meeting people, networking, hanging out with drinks and good conversation. We aren't really into "clubbing" unless I am headed out for a girls night. So recommendations?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

35 years old is practically a teenager in South Beach.

What kind of recommendations are you looking for?

If you're looking for low key places to hang out, check out this article about neighborhood bars, written by Matt Meltzer.

if you are not looking for the club scene..even though you will see the same people at the places i am going to suggest so here you go:

club 50 at the viceroy - mia biscayne and lounge - stk - mokai - blue martini - epic river lounge - waxys -

Gus is right.

Are you looking for late night stuff? You like to party till the crack of dawn? Or happy hour kind of stuff? Networking? There really are so many different options and scenes in Miami, it would be easier to know more specifics.

Well the sad part is we've spend all of our married life in Boise, Idaho where the "scene" is practically non-existent. So I'm this is more what I think we would like I think happy hour/dinner/after dinner drink locations. My favorite places have great food, great drinks, great atmosphere. I love the idea of lounges (where you can actually sit and have a conversation). I do tend to to be ready to say goodnight by midnight.....occasionally later on the weekend. I would love to find great places to become "regulars". Oh and we do like to network considering we own our own business. The one thing I don't like is having to pay tons of $$$$ just to sit down...ala the club scene. We do visit vegas every year so we do have some experience with that kind of place and it sucked.

I appreciate the article and other suggestions. Going to read it right now. Is 35 really young in Miami? I always got the feeling that once you are out of that 25 and single scene you are old

So does that help?

<<..."Is 35 really young in Miami? I always got the feeling that once you are out of that 25 and single scene you are old "......."I do tend to to be ready to say goodnight by midnight.....occasionally later ...".. >>

You're only as old as you act and feel. People don't stop acting young because they get old. They get old because they stop acting young.
    I can't recall the last time I went to bed before midnight. I never understood the concept that says as you age you must go to bed earlier. What's up with that? .... Unless, of course, you have a job that requires you to be there particularly early. But, that applies to 25-year olds as well as 45-year olds as well as 75-year olds. Age is (or should be) irrelevant regarding when you go to bed.
    If anything, it seems that being a little older allows you to stay up later. When I was 22, I worked for the boss, and had to be at work early. So, late hours were tough. A decade later , I was working for myself, and since then, I have been able to adjust my work schedule a bit. Age has its perks.

Go out and have fun.

Glenn and Janet
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-26-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    <<..."Is 35 really young in Miami? I always got the feeling that once you are out of that 25 and single scene you are old "......."I do tend to to be ready to say goodnight by midnight.....occasionally later ...".. >>

You're only as old as you act and feel. People don't stop acting young because they get old. They get old because they stop acting young.
    I can't recall the last time I went to bed before midnight. I never understood the concept that says as you age you must go to bed earlier. What's up with that? .... Unless, of course, you have a job that requires you to be there particularly early. But, that applies to 25-year olds as well as 45-year olds as well as 75-year olds. Age is (or should be) irrelevant regarding when you go to bed.
    If anything, it seems that being a little older allows you to stay up later. When I was 22, I worked for the boss, and had to be at work early. So, late hours were tough. A decade later , I was working for myself, and since then, I have been able to adjust my work schedule a bit. Age has its perks.

Go out and have fun.

Glenn and Janet
    Nicely done !

Crcossel - I didn't start laying over in Miami with frequency till my mid thirties. Today, Im supposedly at the vespera of the Old age of Youth. As I near near threshold of the Youth of Old age, I realize I've been in the same stage for the last thity years. At thirty five, what should be on your mind is; How you're going to conquer the scene ?

The only old thing around here is the three legged man walking to a porto window to order his croquet with cafe cubano.

Hi Crcossel,

If you likey loungey atmospheres you'll love hotel lobby/pool bars. My pick for you would be the Delano Rose Bar or just lounge on a bed by the pool bar. If you leave by midnight you'll miss all the craziness. It's definately a chill, upscale atmosphere. I love it because of the decor and music, but the drink prices are high. If you avoid sitting by the speakers, Segafredo Espresso on Lincoln Rd. or Espanola Way is perfect. You get your own table, and it's a fun place to people watch. The roofdeck at the Gansevort is fun, just avoid Thursdays when it's busiest.

I would suggest Smith & Wollensky, it's a restaurant and great for Happy Hour on Fridays. It's definitely an older crowd, and it's right on 1st on South Beach. As far as bars, I'd suggest Felt, Playwright, Waxy O' Connors, Abraxas, The Room, Zekes ($4 beers - any beer, located on Lincoln Road). There are all of the clubs and lounges on South Beach as well - and it's always a mixed age group at the clubs.

I forgot to mention Finnegan's on Ocean Drive and Finnegan's 2 on Lincoln Road is also a great bar for older people and young people as well.