Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
    New User

Default 18th Birthday, need ideas for going out in South Beach?

my 18th birthday is coming up and i would like to know what clubs are 18 & over. i

will be with someone that is over 21. i would greatly appreciate the help!!
    Last edited by Jess; 04-11-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: retitled

Hi! Welcome to 411!

First question I have is are you male or female? This makes a difference...

New User

im a female

Space allows females 18+ in. I dont know about any clubs in South Beach that do though. Jess would know more about that.

I think Mynt allows 18 year olds in, seeing as how there are always college kids there.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    I think Mynt allows 18 year olds in, seeing as how there are always college kids there.
    No club on the beach allows 18 and over. You are not suppose to be on the beach if you are under 21, its a law, unless you are accompained by your parent or having dinner during normal hours..yeah some of you forgot about that one... if you want 18 and over, you will need to go to downtown or the grove... sorry.

There is a law that says you can't be on the beach if you are under 21 after a certain time?

That law would be extremely unconstitutional. I doubt it exists.

rk

I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but such laws are extremely common, something like 400 cities have them. As far as I know Miami Beach used to have have their own law, but it was dropped in the early nineties when the countywide teen curfew came into force. The current county teen curfew applies to ages 17 and under, and prohibits being out without an adult after 11 PM, and midnight on weekends. The one new thing is that the City of Miami plans to start enforcing it after May 1. Here's a link to the Herald article:

Miami to start enforcing teen curfew next month - Edison / Liberty City - MiamiHerald.com

and one from NBC:

Curfew for Miami Teens Goes Back to the Future | NBC Miami

An excerpt:

"
    Beginning May 1, the city of Miami will begin enforcing a controversial Miami-Dade County teen curfew that bars people 17 years and younger from being out on public streets after 11 p.m. on weeknights and after midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
    Parents will feel the heat too. By the fourth or fifth time a police officer cites a teenager for violating curfew, mom or dad could face a fine up to $500.
    The county's teen curfew ordinance has been on the books since 1994. Thanks to Miami City Commissioner Richard P. Dunn II, city police will enforce the measure throughout Miami.

"
    The above enforcement efforts for are for Miami, not Miami Beach, though the curfew technically applies to all of Miami-Dade county.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but such laws are extremely common, something like 400 cities have them. As far as I know Miami Beach used to have have their own law, but it was dropped in the early nineties when the countywide teen curfew came into force. The current county teen curfew applies to ages 17 and under, and prohibits being out without an adult after 11 PM, and midnight on weekends. The one new thing is that the City of Miami plans to start enforcing it after May 1. Here's a link to the Herald article:

Miami to start enforcing teen curfew next month - Edison / Liberty City - MiamiHerald.com

and one from NBC:

Curfew for Miami Teens Goes Back to the Future | NBC Miami

An excerpt:

"
    Beginning May 1, the city of Miami will begin enforcing a controversial Miami-Dade County teen curfew that bars people 17 years and younger from being out on public streets after 11 p.m. on weeknights and after midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
    Parents will feel the heat too. By the fourth or fifth time a police officer cites a teenager for violating curfew, mom or dad could face a fine up to $500.
    The county's teen curfew ordinance has been on the books since 1994. Thanks to Miami City Commissioner Richard P. Dunn II, city police will enforce the measure throughout Miami.

"
    The above enforcement efforts for are for Miami, not Miami Beach, though the curfew technically applies to all of Miami-Dade county.
    You're talking under 18. This guy is saying under 21. There's a big difference. Minors have no rights.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    You're talking under 18. This guy is saying under 21. There's a big difference. Minors have no rights.
    That's right. Fabian must've been thinking of clubs and bars.

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l View Post
    Space allows females 18+ in. I dont know about any clubs in South Beach that do though. Jess would know more about that.
    For under 21, it is only Space as far as I know. Heathrow on the Beach is the most horrendous s**t club to go to, but it does seem to have underage people in there. So you could try that if you are desperate to go out on SoBe. But downtown and the Grove are your best bets. That, or a really good fake ID. Borrow someone's who is over 21, looks just like you and memorize the details. I have been quizzed over my ID before and it's my own! Point is, they asked my star sign and if it's not your ID, you're gonna get caught out...

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    That's right. Fabian must've been thinking of clubs and bars.
    well actually both...but yeah its the curfew law that i was thinking about... anyway anything under 21..its a no no..lol - clubs on south beach - 21 and over only.