Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miami nightlife on a budget

Default Re: Miami nightlife on a budget

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian G. View Post
    Please stop suggestiing to sneak in a flask. It's illegal first of all, and second would you want to take a drink from a flask offered by a stranger....I wouldn't...
    That's cute, Fabian. Trying to get your employers' money. But, while illegal, flaksing is the ONLY option for people who want to go out regularly to nice places who aren't rich. I do it EVERY time I go to a club. And, as a bartender, I do it while still supporting by service-industry brethren by tipping $2 on every soda I purchase. As a bartender, anyone who tips m3 2 bucks for pouring a soda out of a gun is fine by me. I could give 2 shits what they do with it.

I've actually started taking it one step further by sneaking in packets of Crystal Light and mixing them with tap water I get FREE from the bar. Again, I give the bartender $2. And, again, any time I pour somebody a water and they give me $2, I think that person is pretty cool. So the only losers here.....ready......the club owners who take themselves so seriously and think they're so cool they can charge me the price of an entire bottle of vodka for one drink.

I've been flasking it on the Beach for roughly 8 years. Never been thrown out once. As someone said, that's what they get for pricing people out. I would spend $50-60 in the club if drinks were a normal price. But since you wanna charge me like I'm some dumb tourist or some Persian douchebag trying to impress people? You get NOTHING! Good DAY sir.

Matt, what are you mixing the crystal light with? I've tried doing mixing diet lemonade, light cranberry juice, and cranberry emergen-C packets with vodka and it tastes so bad I can't drink it. Or are you just in the mood for lemonade when you're out?

Why is it illegal to sneak in your own booze? I brought in a small bottle of rum to Nikki Beach once, because I was convinced the drinks earlier in the day were weak..and I don't want to waste the calories/money/room in my stomach on 2 weak drinks, when I could just have one. However, all of a sudeen I felt drunk and just gave the rum away. Let me tell you Fanbian, people are very happy to get your bottle of booze.

I think it's fine if you're on a budget to byob, but I think you can only get away with it in the larger clubs when it's packed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Widmore, one of my social media clients told me that people complain about great $10 drinks elsewhere in the tri-county area ... can you imagine? Ten dollars seems like a steal.
    Haha, yeah it does compared to SoBe. I was out at a local place recently where the tiki bars set up around the place were only serving top shelf alcohol, and those were $9, while the normal setups had the well drinks for $4.50. I would feel a little better in the South Beach clubs if the $14 drinks were top shelf, but they sure as hell aren't. If I remember correctly, top shelf mixed drinks are usually $17.

Matt, you're hardcore on beating the system and I commend that. I would have no problems with giving the bartenders a really nice tip while flasking it. Never thought of the Crystal Light thing before. Sungal, I haven't had Crystal Light in forever so i don't remember how it tastes, but if doing it with the lemon flavor (or any of them really) maybe you could also ask for a lemon or lime with the water. Squeeze that in along with the Crystal Light and your alcohol of choice and I'm sure it'll enhance the taste a bit. However, I'm curious to know what Matt's booze of choice with the Crystal Light is too.

Sungal, there are very strict alcohol laws. Essentially, if you go in a place that sells booze to drink on-premisses, you cannot bring in your own. On the other hand, if you buy packaged booze from a store, like 7-11, you canNOT drink it on those premises. The laws are tax-related, mostly, though there may also be some sort of puritanical reasonings behind them.

And, if the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms catches someone with outside alcohol in a club, the consequences can be dire, not so much for the offending person, but for the club. Large fines and even closure can result.

This thread reminds me of the time Matt and I snuck in a 12-pack of beer into the WMV Awards Show. We saved loads of money that night.

Maybe these clubs implementing a corkage fee might be in order.

I've never had a problem with a restaurant charging me when I decide to bring my own vintage Malbec.

YES! Carlos, that was awesome! We need to do that again next year, but bring more next time.

Sungal, I typically mix it with rum, although sometimes vodka. Vodka and the lemonade is good, but Rum adds a sweetness that the CL lacks. And obviously water. Like mix the CL in the water, then pour some out and add rum/vodka. You typically have to tip the bathroom attendant too so they don't rat you out. But that still comes out to a lot less per drink.

Default Morton's Power Hour

Morton's isn't a club, but they do have great happy hour prices ... I just went to the Broward location recently. Morton's Summer Menu - FANTASTIC happy hour

There's a Morton's on Collins and 40th in the Crown Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    YES! Carlos, that was awesome! We need to do that again next year, but bring more next time.

Sungal, I typically mix it with rum, although sometimes vodka. Vodka and the lemonade is good, but Rum adds a sweetness that the CL lacks. And obviously water. Like mix the CL in the water, then pour some out and add rum/vodka. You typically have to tip the bathroom attendant too so they don't rat you out. But that still comes out to a lot less per drink.
    Hmm..rum and crystal light sounds wierd but I guess you have to bring a mixer that fits in your pocket. So the bathroom is where the drinks are made..I was wondering about that. Any ideas on how I could make a do it yourself margerita?

I have enjoyed this thread, and Matt I like your train of thought! I always take care of people in the service industry, whether it is leaving a few dollars in my hotel room for the cleaning crew or taking care of people in the food and drink industry. In addition to being the right thing to do, more often than not they go the extra mile to help you out if you need it.

New User

Default I concur

I agree Scot
    I've been on both sides (bartender) and I've always been a good tipper but I do beleive good services gets you a better tip. NO TIP= long wait and weak drink when I bartended in College that was how I made money and being chinzy doesnt get you good service.

Scot your from Greenwood, I live in Greenville!

Default Re: I concur

Quote Originally Posted by sophgrl10 View Post
    I agree Scot
    I've been on both sides (bartender) and I've always been a good tipper but I do beleive good services gets you a better tip. NO TIP= long wait and weak drink when I bartended in College that was how I made money and being chinzy doesnt get you good service.

Scot your from Greenwood, I live in Greenville!
    I am shocked to find someone from South Carolina, let alone an hour north of me on here! I dropped you a pm to say hello properly. It is good to see other local folks who love Miami.

It's funny, one of my best friends from UF is moving to Greenville from Gaiensville next month. What brings you guys to this site all the way from Carolina?

New User

Default small world!

Well I'm coming to Sobe in Aug. And I like to find out the "dirt" and "best of" from people who know. I travel alot and HATE being the un-informed "tourist" type.
    I havent been to miami since I was 18 but this will be my third trip to FL this year. Cant wait!!

Matt why oh why is your friend moving to Greenville? LOL

Hey Matt,

You will probably laugh, but one of my favorite television series back in the day was Miami Vice. I was in junior high and high school when it was on the air, and between watching the series faithfully back then and now, and one of my current favorites, Burn Notice, all of the movies shot there or set there and well, I guess you can see how Miami has become one of my preferred places. In addition, one of my favorite series of books is set just an hour north of you guys in Palm Beach, Lawrence Sanders' McNally series.

In a nutshell, I love sunny, warm places, palm trees (I grow quite a few in my yard), Hispanic food (especially Cuban and Colombian), exotic cars, beautiful women, and a happening nightlife. Miami fits the bill! Geez, I sound like a travel brochure.....

Scot

Scot in S.C.,

When are you going to move down here already?

Carlos, my parents and most of my family live here in South Carolina, so it may not be an option for me. I would love to at least live part of the year down there though. I have a friend who does that; he has a house in Hollywood, FL. and spends a lot of time there.
    Last edited by Scot in S.C.; 07-23-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Another option for the budget conscious is to simply avoid the club scene all together. It's designed to part you and your money. Matt wrote an excellent article a couple of years back about the dive bar scene in South Beach. A lot of the places weren't actually divey at all, but are a lot cheaper than the clubs and easier to talk to people in, too.

The Down and Dirty on South Beach Dive Bars - Miami Beach 411

Someone recently complained about the service at Finnegan's, but these are places locals often prefer to the whole club thing.

This one's for the ladies.

The WineRack

Turn an A cup in to double Ds AND sport your favorite beverage for yourself and your friends! Better than a Boob Job and Cheaper Too! Not to mention the savings on over priced drinks. And as a bonus, with a simple blow into the tube it's easy to keep that full look even as you drink from your secret stash.

Sporting the WineRack will even give Pamela Anderson a run for her money. The WineRack has been featured in PlayBoy (which means it must be good) and has been featured on TV and in the news.

Take a bottle of wine, a mixed drink, or even a fifth of your favorite hard stuff to the movies, concerts, ball games, even PTA meetings. Sporting a rack that will turn heads and serving a beverage that will have guys standing in line for a sip of your secret stash!
    Similarly awesome (though not quite convincing enough unless you take a time machine to 10 years ago... but that's part of the charm!):

Cell Phone Flasks

More of them

I think my favorite is the Wine Rack though!

From this article on sneaking stuff into sporting events:
    10 Ways to Smuggle Booze into Events : Crazy devices and contraptions - CHOW

Props to Matt for his latest article and thanks Doug for linking his old article on Dive Bars... I hadn't read that before!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast