Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Miami nightlife on a budget

Question: if flasking is an illegal activity, then what is the punishment?

I think Matt should start a blog called Flasking is Not a Crime.

New User

Default Whew!!

yall have been busy...Is it hot in here or just me.

Although I see both sides of this agruem...I mean discussion; Flasking it is NOT a new idea. Nor have I ever heard of it "bringin down a club". I have Flasked it before and probably will again. I agree with Maria 14-17 dollars for a well drink (when I can buy the brand of liquor thats in it for the same price) is outlandish, and you are paying for the atmosphere. But I look at it in the same respect as taking food to the movies. I paid to get in and occasionally I will buy a concession BUT really 4 dollars for bottled water? Really....come on.

But everyone is entitled to there own opinions and the right to express them; whether it is self rigtheously motivated, done to ruffle feathers, or just purely freedom of speech.

Default Re: Miami nightlife on a budget

I can smell a tout from miles away. Never trust them.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 07-25-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Ok, let's have a contest of who can come up with the best flask drinks. Mine is:

1. Melt down frozen cranberry juice concentrate.

2. Mix 2 parts vodka and 1 part cranberry juice concentrate in the flask.

3. Order an ice water, dump half out and add the flask mix.

You could also do this with frozen lemonade concentrate. What about a flask mojito?

Now that I'm thinking about this, it's really only suited for guys. Girls would have to wait in a 15 minute bathroom line, so it wouldn't make sense for us.

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Ok, let's have a contest of who can come up with the best flask drinks. Mine is:

1. Melt down frozen cranberry juice concentrate.

2. Mix 2 parts vodka and 1 part cranberry juice concentrate in the flask.

3. Order an ice water, dump half out and add the flask mix.

You could also do this with frozen lemonade concentrate. What about a flask mojito?

Now that I'm thinking about this, it's really only suited for guys. Girls would have to wait in a 15 minute bathroom line, so it wouldn't make sense for us.
    I dig how you switched the gears on this thread. Matt has been offiicially validated

Kudos !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sungal: back in the day, a fask wasn't even an issue. It was a matter of how much waddage the underbelly of a tongue could support.

And I gotta add, having been out with Matt and the boys on nights when they have done this, the drinks were pretty dam good

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian G. View Post
    my bad...how about water in the flask...i will provide the liquor...lol...
    Hah, this just got me thinking... water in a flask isn't that outlandish an idea. Have any of you ever been to a club, gotten super dehydrated from lots of drinking and dancing... and then had the bartender refuse to give you some tap water, instead saying that you must buy $5 bottled water? That practice is infuriating and is the kind of lame practice that will make me unable to have any sympathy for the same club losing money in any way. I wouldn't care too much if the same club charged me $1 - $2 for a cup of tap icewater, but outright refusing to serve it when we all know they have it and instead forcing patrons to buy bottled water is not cool.

New User

it is down right ridiculous to FORCE someone to drink bottled water. I've always appreceiate places that give free water more. It should be free, obviously you need it to rehydrate or sober up. Which should be seen by the club as a good thing.

Sungal- Thats why you carry a BIG purse. LOL U can mix inside of it.

Wow take 2 days off

@sophgrl - My friend's family lives in Greenville, so he is moving back there after graduation. He's originally from Hollywood, but the fam moved so so is he. I told him I'm probably not going to come visit. I did party with some DGs from Fuhrman over Spring Break, though. Fun girls.

@FABIAN - I owe nobody an apology. I made a living (literally) making culturally-offensive comments and I have zero plans to stop. People are too f-ing thin-skinned and need to just own up to their culture's stereotypes and deal with it. Jews are cheap, pushy, short and kind of obnoxious. And you can go ahead and say it too and I won't be offended. Furthermore, you 100% validate my mission of flasking it when you say "I'll host girls but dudes can fend for themselves." Ok, I'm fending for myself. Since nobody's giving me anything, I'll take whatever I have to. So thank you.

And when the Opium Group decides it wants to go back to letting more people in clubs and replacing tables with dance floors, and even offering the occasional loss-leading open bar, I'll be happy to stop flasking it. Though, yes, I have been doing it for years, it hasn't been a regular thing since this "cooler-than-you" style of nightlife became popular. I remember a day when I could go to Level at 10:30, walk right in, have an open bar for an hour or so before anyone else got there, and then buy 2-3 regular priced drinks to take me through the night. When we can go back to that, the flask goes away. Your admonition is also cute, a lot like the people who tell me the odds of drunk driving are against me. Been doing that one longer than I've been flasking it.

@Fred - Thanks for sticking up for me, but Fabian doesn't owe me an apology. He disagrees with me, and that's fine. I took his "you write when you're drunk" thing as hyperbole pointing out the perceived insanity of my comments. Although, really, have you EVER met a Persian guy on a night out who DIDN'T wear the entire Macy's fragrance counter?

@Sungal - Bringing in mixers is pointless and takes up too much room. And can get messy. Conserve your space and just smuggle in the booze

@Jess - Though me and Fabian disagree, why are you asking him to "look after you?" Do you think you deserve free stuff cuz you know this guy online? I don't even give you free drinks at Finnegan's, and we're actually friends. Just because you were earning free drinks the old fashioned way at Gatecrasher for much of the 2000s doesn't mean ANYONE in Miami is giving you sh!t for free. You can pay or flirt with unattractive guys for your drinks like everybody else.

@Wildmore - I have refused to give tap water because people don't tip on that. If you tip on tap, no problem. But when you have paying customers who WILL tip you, you're not going to give out stuff for free if you're not making money. This is probably why the bartenders refused. Everyone else ruined it for you.

Without having read every response, I just need to put my 2 cents in...Coach & Fabian.

Regarding liability...how legal is it for a club to extend a 4-bottle minimum to 4 people? Seems like they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit for just suggesting that it is ok for someone to drink a WHOLE BOTTLE of liquor before leaving the club.

And regarding bottles being barcoded and such, I have worked at PLENTY of restaurants that pour Smirnoff into those Grey Goose bottles and can GUARANTEE that if a restaurant does that and gets away with it, clubs definitely do it.

So maybe when the clubs stop trying to "rape people's wallets", then the locals will stop trying to beat the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    @Jess - Though me and Fabian disagree, why are you asking him to "look after you?" Do you think you deserve free stuff cuz you know this guy online? I don't even give you free drinks at Finnegan's, and we're actually friends. Just because you were earning free drinks the old fashioned way at Gatecrasher for much of the 2000s doesn't mean ANYONE in Miami is giving you sh!t for free. You can pay or flirt with unattractive guys for your drinks like everybody else.
    Matt, I don't think Jess meant that she expects free drinks from Fabian. "Looking after us" means that we wouldn't have to wait in line and he'd make sure we were having a good time. Fabian's a promoter so I'm sure he has his own table with plenty of bottles, and would be happy to give any of his guests drinks at his table. Oh, and plenty of good looking guys offer girls free drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria de los Angeles View Post
    Question: if flasking is an illegal activity, then what is the punishment?
    You are taken to the proverbial back room, tied to a chair Vegas style, and have to watch as some guy with a drill makes Swiss cheese out of your flask.

Yeah, come on people, when have you ever known me to expect or blag free drinks? I am one of the only girls in Miami who refuses drinks when they are offered to me. I buy my own. Matt, you even used me as an example teaching with my theory of, why should I accept a $17 drink and then waste 30 minutes of my night out talking to some guy? I'd rather spend my own money and talk to my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Yeah, come on people, when have you ever known me to expect or blag free drinks? I am one of the only girls in Miami who refuses drinks when they are offered to me. I buy my own. Matt, you even used me as an example teaching with my theory of, why should I accept a $17 drink and then waste 30 minutes of my night out talking to some guy? I'd rather spend my own money and talk to my friends.
    I think its clear to me that Jess was meaning 'take care of her' just like he would any other customer. I would find such a report on Jess' experience, if this ever occurs, very helpful as I am still not sure what Fabin could do for me (or any other 40 yr old guy) that we couldn't get by making reservations with the clubs directly. When we had the get-together at plunge, reservations, bottles, etc were set up with them directly--it was pricey but reasonable for all the people we had and service we received. Plunge is not a club in the LIV sense, but I don't see a huge difference. So, hearing directly from a paytron about her experiences (albiet from an attractive and much younger person who is not male), would be very helpful and likey insightful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The night is too short to talk to someone you don't want too. I agree!

Solid point, Jess. I was just recalling an earlier disagreement between you and Fabian regarding his making you pay for something. I don't remember it exactly, but you remember what I'm talking about?

Boy this is so complicated. Why not just sneak in some Mad Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by sungal View Post
    Coach, I don't think Matt is a criminal...and I don't think the Opium Group counts as "entrepreneurs". However, if there is a lovely decor, a great crowd, and good music at a club all of these things are club expenses. They obviously have the right to charge more for alcohol than Walgreen's or Ted's. Have you ever heard the expression "you're paying for the atmosphere"?

Let's say someone can afford to go to a club once every two weeks..if they flask it, they can go three times a week. Isn't that better for the club to have an extra body those two additional nights? Especially during the summer...

Clubs are concerned with getting sued, drugs, sometimes shootings, bad press, but not necessarily searching for the one or two people "flasking it."
    Clubs should be 10 times more concerned about shootings, as many club-goers won't risk going back to places that have witnessed shootings. There was a club called Metropolis in Downtown, that opened back in 2005. It was similar to Space, with several rooms and a variety of music. Then a shootout happened (and the place wasn't necessarily ghetto), and the club closed down.

I'll ask the question again - if it is "illegal" would flaskers be prosecuted? It's not like they are carrying illegal drugs; they are just breaking club "rules" that aren't even spelled out before you walk in. Flaskers are doing something similar to folks who bring their own wine to restaurants, except that they're sneaking the booze in and not paying a corkage fee.

In any case, this isn't the same "crime" as serving alcohol to minors.

Carlos?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast