Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is Club Space closing down?

Default Is Club Space closing down?

That's the rumor, according to Cool Junkie's Tweet.

Cooljunkie (cooljunkie) on Twitter

Oh God I hope not. That's the only good club left.

I heard the same thing from a thread currently going on the talknightlife website.

Some were saying it was for a 3 week renovation or something, still don't know the full story.

You might wanna check their website.

OMG, Labor Day closing party??? I'm gonna contact my friend who works there...this better not be true!

My theory is this is them following suit with a lot of other "season" clubs that have Labor Day closing parties. Gets a buzz going about the club it hasn't had in a while, gets people planning to go months in advance, and then they close for a couple months (Which are usually slow) and reopen right in time for Season. With more buzz.

Since the only rumors I've heard about it have come from the club, and not anyone who'd know if a license or permit had been revoked, or a lease expired, my guess is promotional stunt. Why would Space close? It's an institution by now.

Default Re: Is Club Space closing down?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    My theory is this is them following suit with a lot of other "season" clubs that have Labor Day closing parties. Gets a buzz going about the club it hasn't had in a while, gets people planning to go months in advance, and then they close for a couple months (Which are usually slow) and reopen right in time for Season. With more buzz.

Since the only rumors I've heard about it have come from the club, and not anyone who'd know if a license or permit had been revoked, or a lease expired, my guess is promotional stunt. Why would Space close? It's an institution by now.
    Simple, Guerra and Puig have mismanaged this club as they did with Parkwest. More and more downtown is becoming an 18 and over party scene. There is no money there since they can't legally sell liquor or boos to anyone under 21. You can't run a club on just cover charges, and having a super DJ every blue moon just doesn't cut it anymore. The club itself needs a major overhaul costing millions that neither Puig or Guerra want to invest in. They have also mismanaged promoters, people I personally know that did a terrific job for them and did not get paid. That hurts the club as well, people follow promoters mostly. Guerra has also invested his nestings into off shore clubs in Thailand, leaving most of the funding to Puig, which if anyone has ever worked for him, he is very cheap amongst other things. It would not surprise me that Space would be closing. Besides that they have about 20 or so law suits pending against them.

Well.. that sucks.

I am bummed now. Seriously, that means going out in Miami is just gonna be the glam of Sobe with bottle service and ridiculous door policies. Hmmm...

That's a shame that nightlife has had to go that way. Not that I've been to Space since 2007, but it was always nice to have the option.

I'm curious, though, if the clubs up at Hard Rock have more of that vibe that SoBe had until 5 years ago. Last time I went they did, but are those going the Douchebag Route too?

I blame LeBron. (This will be my new tagline to any complaints about changes in Miami. Much like people use "I blame Obama.")

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    That's a shame that nightlife has had to go that way. Not that I've been to Space since 2007, but it was always nice to have the option.

I'm curious, though, if the clubs up at Hard Rock have more of that vibe that SoBe had until 5 years ago. Last time I went they did, but are those going the Douchebag Route too?

I blame LeBron. (This will be my new tagline to any complaints about changes in Miami. Much like people use "I blame Obama.")
    Space is scheduled to close for renovation (let's see) in September and reopen in a month. 95% of the clubs that close for renovation never reopen. And come on, with permits and all...it takes longer to do a major overhaul of a club...one month is nothing and it would probably be the first floor with minor details...furniture (at least commercial grade) takes 6-9 months to make etc....the third owner is investing some money into it..thats Diaz...but hey....think about this...how does a club operate on 18 year olds, charging cover only...and is open only 4 days of the month...makes you think what else is going on there...well u know what I mean...

Haha. I know indeed. Although Space has closed for renovation before, even moved locaitons completely, and still reopened. Space is not "Trendy Club of the Month," either. It's an institution among locals as well as a tourist draw, so I feel like it has a better chance than anywhere else.

New User

Is Club Space 18 and up for guys and gals?

Oh and what is the dress code for guys?

*Sorry to jack your thread but it seems like you guys know what's up, LOL

I certainly can answer as I was there last night! Space is over 18 for girls. Over 21 for guys. Girls over 21 get a wrist band so they can drink alcohol (not that anyone does in that club).

Dress code is anything goes really. Last night was a beach party for example, so we went in bikinis and flip flops! Check their website to see what the night is before you go. And the one thing you will wanna wear... your sunglasses.

OK, I have found this out from the website, and it does make sense... after all, the week of closing parties in Ibiza are infamous...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    OK, I have found this out from the website, and it does make sense... after all, the week of closing parties in Ibiza are infamous...
    you do know the article was written by Space, not an independent magazine or newspaper... lol... I just don't trust them 100%...Ibiza and Miami are Worlds apart..what they want to do here...may not work at all...

Of course I know that, I took it from their website.

Fabian have you ever been to Ibiza? Not being rude or anything, but the clubbing is world class at both places. Obviously Ibiza is better, but Space Miami is not worlds apart from Ibiza. They are very similar, and one is based on the other. And yes, I have been to Space in Ibiza so I know.

This was my theory, that Space Miami was trying to emulate "closing parties" from clubs that are big summer spots then die down the rest of the year.

Except... it is kinda the beginning of our tourist season here, so it doesn't make total sense. Unless they reopen November time. I mean, Ibiza ends at the end of Sept and reopens in April as that is their season. Our season starts end Sept and goes till about April!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Of course I know that, I took it from their website.

Fabian have you ever been to Ibiza? Not being rude or anything, but the clubbing is world class at both places. Obviously Ibiza is better, but Space Miami is not worlds apart from Ibiza. They are very similar, and one is based on the other. And yes, I have been to Space in Ibiza so I know.
    It's okay, yes I have, years ago when I visited Spain, we took a flight over there. I am familiar with the concept, however I do not think it will work in Miami. In Ibiza, most or all the clubs close during that period, only Space is in Miami.

Season really doesn't get going until the Holidays and after, so if they close for New Year's or so, that would make sense. Of course, a lot of places aim to do that and they end up closed until Memorial Day. We shall see.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast