Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh I just remembered, the Clevelander honors it too. 20% off drinks.

The rest is 10% off food and drink, except nikki, where it is only off food.

Default Check-out the website!

It has all the answers:

INcard - Miami Beach

Default Re: Finally someone that cares about the locals!

Quote Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
    with such a large focus on the tourist markets when it comes to sobe n goin out, the locals do tend to get shat on. the clevelander have set up a locals membership that gets u cheap drinks n meals during the nfl season. they had a launch last sunday where all locals got 2 free drinks n free food in there special upstairs area. bout time someone cared about the local market n not just the tourist dollar!!! i kno its no live or mansion but those guys will neva give a shit bout the local market

<<..."when it comes to sobe n goin out, the locals do tend to get shat on."...>>

How is it that the locals "tend to get shat on"? They aren't being kept out of restaurants and bars. They aren't being charged a higher price for food and drinks. Are you saying that if the locals aren't given special treatment with discounts and other freebies, then they are not being treated fairly?

In the DC area, where I live, locals pay the same prices as tourists at restaurants and bars. Are we DC locals being crapped on because we're not getting special treatment?

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 11-29-2010 at 11:40 PM.

The prices of the nice restaurants and bars in SoBe are equivalent and higher than NYC, DC prices. So while people visiting from cities on the east coast have no problem with the cost of things, most Miami locals earn way less, so going out really puts a dent in your budget. The only other city that has higher restaurant/nightlife prices is Las Vegas.

One example is as simple as Starbucks. The one in the Mariott on 2nd and Ocean used to be my local Starbucks. The prices there for everything are most other Starbucks, because it's in a hotel. To counter that they give a 10% off discount card to locals. So yes, if locals don't get little discounts every now and then our money just disappears. Although instead of having impractical discounts like become a member at the Standard Spa for $100 less they could offer more practical things like maybe discounts on taxis, dry cleaning...

I've never used my IN card and just noticed all the restaurants I've been to accept it. Oh well! It pays to ask when you're out.

Someone I know figured out that the Starbuck's on Lincoln charges up to $2 less for the same coffee purchased at the Marriott Starbuck's with the discount ... so that 10% locals discount is a bit of a sham.

I never noticed their inflated prices until Jess pointed them out. No, the price difference on the items is more like 50 cents..It's about $2.89 or so for a large coffee, so then that would make the one on Lincoln $0.89. I used to go there too and they just have normal prices.

mansion strikes again. use there card last min. skip the line but pay 30 cover as they made sum bs up again. in there an hr and get pick pocketed of my 3g iphone. saw him run off but bit hard to catch someone on a crowded dancefloor. may have or may have not been extremely drunk lol

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    So while people visiting from cities on the east coast have no problem with the cost of things, most Miami locals earn way less, so going out really puts a dent in your budget...
    If I understand, you're advocating means based pricing. This would be great for people like me who subsist hand-to-mouth, but forum member fred will be hard-hit.

Except for drink prices, Miami is pretty inexpensive compared to Washington, D.C. A big ticket item, like a house for example, where you spend a significant part of your income, is less expensive in Miami on average.
    I can't feel sorry for locals who live in an area of high drink prices. Drinks and going out are luxuries, and not a necessity like shelter.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 11-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.

mansion strikes again. use there card last min. skip the line but pay 30 cover as they made sum bs up again. in there an hr and get pick pocketed of my 3g iphone. saw him run off but bit hard to catch someone on a crowded dancefloor. may have or may have not been extremely drunk lol
    You lost your iPhone? Oh that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    If the peasants don't have bread....

let then eat cake!

$2 for a cup of coffee.......... $12.......... or $25 what does it matter if I don't have to wait or go out of my way to get it!

As 'rk,' you see, its all about ME!

Boy I guess if you have the $$$$ that rk has, the world is good and discount cards aren't needed! I bet he has his own permanent private table at the new club in the fountain blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    You lost your iPhone? Oh that sucks!
    definately didnt lose it! i felt it gettin pulled from my pocket n them runnin off. i remember seeing a bulletin someone about mansion and some other club having a higher than normal case of pick pockets. i am the sort of person that NEVER loses anything even when im on a bender. only ever had stuff stolen. oh well. new sim shud be here tomo

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Except for drink prices, Miami is pretty inexpensive compared to Washington, D.C. A big ticket item, like a house for example, where you spend a significant part of your income, is less expensive in Miami on average.
    I can't feel sorry for locals who live in an area of high drink prices. Drinks and going out are luxuries, and not a necessity like shelter.

Glenn
    The home prices in certain parts of DC are higher than certain parts of Miami, but it's because DC has a great job market, complete with high paying cushy federal jobs. So the home prices should be higher.

It's really the whole price of going out in Miami that's expensive if you decide to do a nice dinner and a club...not just the drinks. If a local decides to do the same thing a tourist does, it hurt's the local's pocketbook more. So the little discounts are nice. Even nicer are doormen/waiters who remember you.

definately didnt lose it! i felt it gettin pulled from my pocket n them runnin off. i remember seeing a bulletin someone about mansion and some other club having a higher than normal case of pick pockets. i am the sort of person that NEVER loses anything even when im on a bender. only ever had stuff stolen. oh well. new sim shud be here tomo
    That sucks, Bob! I had my phone stolen on the beach once, too. Right before my eyes. Crazy.

Yes, from now on when people ask for relocation advice we need to tell them to get the full insurance for their cell phones. I left mine unattended at Mynt and it was gone. But I'm happy I did- my new phone has a better camera and connects to the internet faster. I pay $6 extra per month and I'm protected from water damage, loss, theft..it's worth it.

It's sad that there are a lot of thieves who see people partying and making out on the beach as their way to make money. With the doormen and entrance policy at clubs you think they could weed out the riff raff.

You know, that's a good point Christy. With all this focus on "exclusivity" and "getting the right crowd,' how is stuff still getting stolen. When they were actually letting people into clubs, I could see this happening.

Maybe the fact that you have to get $400 worth of bottle service to get in has driven people to thievery.

Applied for the card in November when I saw this post.

Still haven't received one in the mail. Anyone else received theirs?

It shouldn't take that long! I'd re apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    It shouldn't take that long! I'd re apply.
    I did in January and still haven't received anything. I have tried to e-mail Valeria Raskin whose name and number are listed on the site and don't hear back from her.
    Last edited by SoBeCane; 03-22-2011 at 12:30 PM.

How strange? Maybe she no longer works there? I guess re apply again, or next time you go, ask at the door to speak to a manager and ask them. I got mine in 3 weeks but that was a long time ago, maybe two years now, and to be very honest, I never used it once. Opium Group clubs just aren't my scene.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast