Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

this is why so many ppl hip flask it or go to dive n local bars. its insane

New User

Default Re: Drink Prices in Miami Beach vs elsewhere

I can not say for SoBe, because I have not been there, and will not until March. But I do know from when I bartended at the Castle in Ybor. That almost all the money from the door went to the DJs, and to pay the employees that night. The Club got most of there revenue from the liquor sells. And when I talked to other club owners in Ybor it was the same. As Fabian said when you go to a club, or bar you are going for more than just a drink. You are going for atmosphere, selection of liquor, entertainment, and etc. I stay home, or go to a friend’s house to drink, because I am not shopping for any of the above things. So why would I pay more for the liquor. It is just like if you are going to a restraint. You could eat at home for cheaper, but you want the selection, atmosphere, entertainment, etc.

I can see places like Mondrian and the Delano charging a lot for drinks because you're in beautiful surroundings. The Mondrian has amazing views and the Delano has a sophisticated, unique atmosphere. And the drinks are good quality. The Fountainblu lobby is nothing special, but I guess they have to pay for those tacky 3 million dollar renovations somehow.

The thing is when tourists come for a bachelor party or a girls weekend they plan for the outlandish prices, and it's a once a year thing. But for locals, it sucks. I think locals should have a card that gets them drinks for 40% off all the time, at the pricier tourist places.

very true zack, but many of the bars here don't have entertainment, no frills, just basic bars and the prices are still through the roof. It gotta be a combo of the high rent prices, and knowing that tourists will pay it.

this is why so many ppl hip flask it
    haha yup. I "soda bottle it " Pretty much just on the way to the bar though :p

also, I have read articles about bars putting cheap liquor in top shelf bottles. I guess it goes on all over the country but some bars in South Beach have been ticketed for it. I wish I could remember the names. I guess if you want to drink top shelf and KNOW its top shelf, drink it at home for the pre-gaming

... and good idea Christy! I vote for 25% off and at EVERY bar in SoBe hahahha :p Oooo I just had an idea for a bar / club in South Beach! One that has a discount card like this for locals and lots of games there (Tourists VS Locals) Would just have to show your ID for the ref to place you on either team.
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 02-25-2011 at 11:41 AM.

New User

Ya, do not get me wrong. I do not think the prices are worth what I am getting. And ya, I would say that the locals are getting the short end of the stick. But that is all in how you look at it. I know a few people that would love to be able to walk out their door and be at a place that people have to travel a few hundred miles to get to. Me, I did not like all the tourist and high prices in Orlando, or California so I left. So it boils down to if you feel it is worth it. But from what I read on this Forum there seems to be several good places that are not too expensive. Oooo… and when I say entertainment I was summing up people watching, dancing, picking up people, etc.
    And ya some bars are jerks, and try to cheat there customers. But usually word gets around and the close.

It may be too early, but is there anything non Ultra music festival to hit March 24-26?
    Any place that will have good Techno or Electronic Music.

It's pretty simple, really...if you're a local and you want to go out and not break the bank, you go to your cheap, local places. And quite honestly, the clubs here aren't even good enough that many locals feel like we're missing out on anything by not going. Why I say the nightlife is actually BETTER in Ft. Lauderdale, since you have the same weather, the same closing times, but none of the overpricing BS.

Point is, we can bitch on here about drink prices, but at the end of the day we all know how to avoid them so it doesn't much matter.

haha. that's cool cuz im thinking of moving to Ft Lauderdale :p

Non Ultra? well that week over than ultra there is : Miami Music Week / Your source for parties during the week of Ultra Music Festival as far as things going on that are electronic music

know what is a really cheap drink that will get you buzzed AND taste good? Mike's Harder Fruit Punch. $3 big ass 24oz can and you can get it at the little market on washington between 16th and lincoln across from Radio Shack. 8% alcohol and its like having 3 drinks. Def not good for the diet though. Lots of calories. I drink it as a treat from time to time
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 02-25-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Shannon are you really thinking of moving to Ft. Lauderdale? I've heard nice things about it but never been. I think it has a good young, professionals scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Hahahahaha.

And sorry Fabian but I don't buy it. I know how it all works... I know the mark up on drinks and the cost prices, I know what clubs pay to have dancers, djs, etc and how booking a big name can make them no money but it is worth it to have the PR of so and so playing at Mansion etc...

Basically it is a business, and Miamians get ripped off a little bit more than the average consumer because they have the privilege of drinking their drink in South Beach.
    if you say so... lol

Quote Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
    this is why so many ppl hip flask it or go to dive n local bars. its insane
    true

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    In other words, if you don't drink overpriced booze, then you are not doing your civic duty.
    didnt say that.. but sometimes you guys take this overboard.. basically if you cannot afford a $20 drink, then dont go to a place that sells one.. go to the other places..that is all i am saying. no need to complain about pricing of drinks in miami.. its like that everywhere else in the world as well. the nice places charge more, the not so nice places charge less.. its the same with movie tickets.. why do we pay $15? (its rhethorical.. i know the reasons)...

so anyway....

yes Christy, but only if I want to become " tied down " My " steady-playmate" I guess you could call him / good friend works in Ft Lauderdale and wants me to start a relationship with him and get a place together. He found a large 2 bedroom / 2 bath for $925 and splitting that would be way cheaper than the $700 I pay for my studio with much more space.. however... i dont really want to leave sobe AND I dont want a relationship so who knows... maybe in the future... but I have been apartment hunting online for him up there and TOYING around with the thought of it. :p Right now the thought is in the TOY box though :p

It's price gouging, preying on tourists who have saved up all year to come for a week or two in the sun.

Let's just call it what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    It's price gouging, preying on tourists who have saved up all year to come for a week or two in the sun.

Let's just call it what it is.
    One of the easiest concepts I learned in college was, " dollar votes."
    Each time you spend on something your voting on it's worhtiness and value.

Personally I don't give a fuck about a dj's take home pay or some half naked bitch doing gyrations on a raised platform. Just get me a drink at a fair price and let me go back to what I was doing. Like something I could be doing without visual and audio aides. I still prosper the same without those props.

or some half naked bitch doing gyrations on a raised platform.
    hahaha I think if the dive bars in South Beach just added a few comfortable couches and little coffee tables it would be awesome. All you really want to do is kick back when u have a drink, not always have to sit on a hard bar stool :p

Without rehashing my pricing rant in another thread I'll point out that...

- "Tourism" doesn't explain stupid drink prices outside South Beach (Coconut Grove, Brickell, etc.)
    - "Tourism" doesn't explain stupid drink prices at so-called dive bars in Wynwood and elsewhere
    - "Tourism" doesn't explain stupid drink prices relative to those in Key West, Vegas, and other tourist hot spots

I think the best explanation for inflated food/drink prices is the high price of real estate zoned for nightlife use. I'm no real estate expert, but it's typically very hard to develop new restaurant/bar/club space in any densely populated area (like nearly all of Miami). This means that restaurant/bar/club owners must compete for a finite amount of property, which consistently increases in value (and rent) even if residential property values hold or fall. The same phenomenon drives the food truck scene... good chefs can't always afford a proper kitchen and dining room.

All told, we pay stupid prices for drinks because the rent is too damn high:

YouTube - The Rent Is Too Damn High Party's Jimmy McMillan at the NY Governor Debate

Yeah, well it's like in New York, there's no a glut of cheap dive bars either. Again, boils down to real estate cost and that.

But Fabian is right. along the lines of what UTS says. If you "shop" at the overprices tourist traps, then you are validating the pricing. If you don't, well, then you're voting with your money. As soon as a business pisses me off I stop "shopping" there. Forever. I think if everyone actually did this you'd see a lot better customer service.

Zeke's has $4 beers and tons of variety. Most all of the fancy drinks at Segafredo Lincoln are $9.50, including martinis, and I think wine and beer are less than that. Someone check the drink prices at Ted's, The Deuce and The Abbey for me, but I bet they are all reasonable.

The problem is, you are comparing apples and oranges and your subject line is misleading. It should have read "Drink prices in high-end hotels vs neighborhood bars." That is what you are really comparing.

I was at a bowling alley in some very small town in mid-America a couple months ago and 5 drinks, including 1 apple martini which we had to teach the bartender how to make, came to $13. We almost died. Annette had out two $20 bills in preparation for the tab, and when the guy told her how much it was, she was so dumbstruck she stared at the bills in her hand for a good 5 seconds trying to figure out what to do. It was really funny. Of course, I'd rather stab my eyes out with a dull spoon rather than live there, but the drinks were damn cheap (good, too).

If you would like to do a reasonable comparison, go to the highest-end, most expensive hotel you can find in Orlando and have a drink at their best bar. Then see how much it is. Yes, it is still likely to be less, but not much less than Fontainebleu.

Remember that one reason why prices are high in Miami & Miami Beach is that land prices are high. One reason land prices in Miami are so high is because it is a bounded city. We cannot spread east because of the ocean. We cannot spread west because of the Everglades. Of course, Miami Beach is even worse, because it is a very small place that cannot expand at all. So, land is a premium here. That drives up land prices, which drives up the cost of everything else.

Orlando, on the other hand, is a big sprawling place in one of the worst climates in Florida. Land there is much cheaper.

One thing we could do to mitigate the prices of things in Miami is just to drain the Everglades and expand west. Personally, I'd rather pay the higher prices. The other choice is just to find the less expensive places to drink and frequent those.

interesting Coach, true.

dive bar here, rum and coke $7. dive bar and other cities in the us, rumand coke $4. so even if you are comparing the same "level" of bar the prices are almost double here. I know why they are double, the rent, the land and the tourists will pay it, however ya, im all for the " local's discount card" that is such a great idea i think more bars should have locals nights too w/ good prices. does anyone know of what bars have " local's nights w/ discounts"? it seems like it would be a good spot to meet more locals too

I don't know that any have locals nights specifically, but many have happy hours. I agree that a locals night would be cool. And you are right that even comparing apples to apples, prices are higher here than other places. I still think it is worth it, which is why I do not whine about it. I'd rather pay a little more to live in paradise than save some money and live in an armpit.

There is a locals discount card for Miami Beach called the INCard. At least, I think they still do it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast