Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

oh ya i have heard of that, thanks for the reminder about it, ok i just looked up and signed up for it. it has free admission to mangos 7 days week, woot

Im glad to be living in the paradise instead of the armpit myself :p
    Last edited by ShannonSoBe; 02-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Default Re: Drink Prices in Miami Beach vs elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post
    Im glad to be living in the paradise instead of the armpit myself :p

The worst is near us in the Metro Washington, CC area. It's an armpit, AND the prices are high, AND our traffic is worse than Miami's AND our drivers score the WORST in the nation!

The only reason to live around here in the DC area is the job market. It's the nation's best job market. Fairly recession proof, as DC has a gun to the heads of the rest of the country that says, "Send us your (tax) money." It props up the economy of the whole DC metro area.....unfortunately at the expense of the rest of the country.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-28-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Are you saying DC has the best market or Miami? I heard Miami had the highest unemployment rate of any city in the country!

Are you saying DC has the best market or Miami? I heard Miami had the highest unemployment rate of any city in the country!

The Miami job market is pretty bad. The DC metro area (where I live) has the nations best job market. That's about the only thing good about the DC area.
    Overall, the DC area is pretty lame and boring. Lots of stuck-up, stuffed shirt types here. That's one reason we try to leave the DC area and visit the Miami area frequently. We'll be back down in the Miami area in a few weeks.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 02-28-2011 at 02:45 AM.

If you would like to do a reasonable comparison, go to the highest-end, most expensive hotel you can find in Orlando and have a drink at their best bar. Then see how much it is. Yes, it is still likely to be less, but not much less than Fontainebleu.
    The Orlando example is not going to work. Aside from being a more expensive location to vacation, the liquor revenue stream is way down in importance compared to Miami Beach.

That damn Mouse already has robbed you blind way before you even think about ordering a drink.

Oh ok Glenn, I gotcha now. I've been to DC once for a rave in like 2001 at the edge night club. It was a cool place but seemed like it was in a shady area. I took a bus all the way fro NY. Longgg ride.

UnderTheSun, i'd rather be robbed by Mickey Mouse than a club. At least he provides me one of my favorite things.. (adrenaline pumping rides) Um,, I mean from his amusement park, not him. LMAO

Wink Re: Drink Prices in Miami Beach vs elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah, well it's like in New York, there's no a glut of cheap dive bars either. Again, boils down to real estate cost and that.

But Fabian is right. along the lines of what UTS says. If you "shop" at the overprices tourist traps, then you are validating the pricing. If you don't, well, then you're voting with your money. As soon as a business pisses me off I stop "shopping" there. Forever. I think if everyone actually did this you'd see a lot better customer service.
    thanks MaTT.. YOU KNOW...what is ironic.. i went to LIV on saturday for CEdric.... and I paid $88 for 6 drinks.. 2 grey goose and red bull, 3 russian standard vodka and cranberry, and 1 bacardi light and coke.. no i did not know the bartender, I rarely go to LIV.. $88 for 6 drinks thats less than $15 per person.. so i dont what that other person was talking about... and no tip was not included.. i kept the receipt just in case anyone wants to get smart on here..

Good for you Fabian, glad you got a good deal

Good for you Fabian, glad you got a good deal
    thanks! Here is the receipt..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jess, bring in that receipt for a refund!

J.R
    New User

I have to say as a 'Brit' and from the most expensive city over here I found this thread a good read. Especially as this time next month I'll just about be leaving your fair city.

For me, having lived and worked here all my life, and visited a few more expensive locations in the world, I've not heard this complaint from 'locals' before.
    I think that's because, in Miami when it comes to SoBe especially there's no middle ground, it's either top end, or, well, not. I dunno if that's fair, you guys can tell me.

Here you can expect to pay $15 for a spirit and a mixer (that's total, we don't add 'tax' on after the total over here! ) and that's in the 'higher end' clubs, the places that charge more than that are frequented by celebs as their 'local' (ie. 'pub round the corner') or the occasional tipsy royal might be in attendance so you either simply CAN'T get into them, due to not being on a guestlist, OR, you know you're spunking a weeks salary if you do. THOSE places are the ones where a 'table' (or what you guys call 'bottle service' make financial sense), aside that there's no reason, it's just greedy promoters trying to con you into thinkin you have to pay a premium premium to get into somewhere.

I feel for you, I too live in a tourist trap, the difference here is, people aren't here for the nightlife, and that means that for every 'West End' club there are 2 bars nearby picking up the strays, and for every 1 of those there is a 'just outside of town' like 'Shoreditch' where people of the same level of affluency can party without the 'ars3h0le' persona on permanent display.

Now... with all of that said... any chance of a ranking of clubs vs value from money from you locals?, I'd be interested to see how many places come in say, a top 5, and if there are any similar views...?

p.s. Thanks to Shannon, I'm deffo visiting that market for that drink, 3 drinks in 1, yes pls!

Christy, back me up, our 2 drinks were $45!

Fabian, I wonder why they didn't charge you tax, grat etc...? that's weird?

And anyway, I am not arguing the case about drink prices, I am just saying I had a very pleasant surprise buying that round in Orlando, as I am used to SoBe prices.

Yes, the vodka/cranberries were $45 total! And we didn't ask for special vodka. I think it may have to do with it being a Sat night..maybe he thought we were tourists. I could see the former Versace mansion inflating drink prices because of the atmosphere-but this is the Fountainblu lobby. Total rip-off.

The other issue with Locals nights is how are they going to keep track of who is a local or not? They just have to lower their prices in general for a few hours.

Ember is a fun spot to hit in Orlando, I have heard they have good food there too but I haven't tried any personally.

$45 for the two vodka/cranberries is blowing my mind right now though. Even if you had top shelf that's still stupid.

Is Ember in downtown ?

I need a good place to wet my beak tonight before I pay for $9 beers once inside the Amway Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Is Ember in downtown ?

I need a good place to wet my beak tonight before I pay for $9 beers once inside the Amway Center.
    Yep, it's smack in the middle of downtown pretty close to I4 and about 4 blocks from the arena. $9 beers in the Amway? Sounds like you'll be getting a little taste of South Beach pricing right there in central Florida! I haven't made it to a game there yet, I really want to check out the new arena.

Yeah Ember is downtown. It may be a restaurant during the day? I have only been there on nights out in the evenings when the DJ is playing. The outdoor area is really nice.

Oh, and did I mention $25 for a round of 5 drinks?

It's $10 a beer at the Heat game.

This Sunday, I think I paid $8 at the Braves game at ESPN / WWS / Disney. At least they still don't charge for parking. The Mouse is slipping - LOL !

The new arena is totally awesome. Better than Staples in some aspects, but totally blows out the AAA in Miami. I usually only go to one game a year ( the Lakers ). This is my third visit already. Not a downtown fan, but it sure is improving.

It's funny when you fly out of Miami after being so used to the drink prices. They announced on the plane, "We offer beer, wine, and margaritas for $6". I did a double take. Since when does the plane have happy hour? Are they trying to get people drunk?... and then realized that these are normal prices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast