Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Drink Prices in Miami Beach vs elsewhere

Not too long ago I went with a girlfriend to the Blue Bar at Fountainbleau. We each ordered a vodka cranberry. The bill came to $45. I kept that receipt for a long time, just to remind myself to never drink there again.

This weekend I went to Orlando and went to a great bar named Ember with 4 others. I ordered 2 beers, a red wine, a vodka redbull, and a blueberry martini for myself. When the bill came, it was $25. I laughed so hard the barman asked if everything was all right? I told him yes, I'm just from Miami and these prices are ridiculous.

I saved the bill but can't upload it as it is it too large. If I ever figure it out I'll show you all.

Wow, that's $5 a drink. Was it happy hour? You're all about blueberries in your drinks these days!

Nope, not even Happy Hour. Regular Saturday night prices..

Yeah, shockingly $5 a drink is considered AVERAGE in most cities. Unless you're going to like the highest-end places in mid-range cities, your average bar won't charge you more than a 5 spot.

Truth be told, there's actually a lot of places in South Florida like that, you just have to get off the Beach and venture into the city to find them. A round like that at the Doral Ale House would probably be comparable.

You think that was laughably cheap, Jess, try Gainesville. Spending $30 on a night out there was a challenge. And I'm not even female...

New User

Default Re: Drink Prices in Miami Beach vs elsewhere

In the college towns near me the average price of a basic mixed drink is probably 4-5 bucks. In a nice place a quality drink averages about 10. One nightclub I went to in Charlotte, NC had $4 Patron shots on Friday nights. Since tourism drives Miami they can stick it to everyone and continue to thrive, it takes planning to drink on a budget there.

Planning and lots of locals do power hour...

Read it and weep Miami Beach locals...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    prices vary from city to city and place to place and liquor you drink. perhaps what you did not know is that the price is calculated on surrounding competition on the style of venue.. the rent that is paid, the liquor license...the staff..security, marketing, dj/music, equipment, etc.. just dont look it at like man i can buy a bottle for the price at the store.. yeah i can buy a bottle for that price but that won't get you everything else that you went to that bar or club for..

i do agree that some places are overpriced compared to others. nuff said.

btw your receipt says well vodka....says it all.. thats the cheap stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian G. View Post
    prices vary from city to city and place to place and liquor you drink. perhaps what you did not know is that the price is calculated on surrounding competition on the style of venue.. the rent that is paid, the liquor license...the staff..security, marketing, dj/music, equipment, etc.. just dont look it at like man i can buy a bottle for the price at the store.. yeah i can buy a bottle for that price but that won't get you everything else that you went to that bar or club for..

i do agree that some places are overpriced compared to others. nuff said.
    Fabian, actually I DO look at it like, man I can buy a bottle for... I couldn't care less about the price being based on surrounding competition and their rent. I am the consumer, and all I care about is the price I pay. I get that you're a promoter but let me tell you, no one cares about the reasoning for the prices. We just don't wanna pay $45 for 2 drinks.

Fabian, actually I DO look at it like, man I can buy a bottle for... I couldn't care less about the price being based on surrounding competition and their rent. I am the consumer, and all I care about is the price I pay. I get that you're a promoter but let me tell you, no one cares about the reasoning for the prices. We just don't wanna pay $45 for 2 drinks.
    Amen! I couldn't agree more! I went to key west for the night last year and was shocked how much cheaper the drinks were there than in South Beach ( i figured a tourist kinda city was going to be $$$$ either way )

A little thing about well liquor (the cheap stuff) VS. the good top shelf stuff. The difference is pretty much just taste. If you are going to do a straight shot, you probably want the more expensive stuff if you don't want it to taste horrid. If its in a mixed drink, there is nothing wrong with getting the cheap stuff. It does not make you any less drunk and it is just a myth that it gives you a "worse hangover" I know someone who was a bartender for years and is now a doctor and they said, not true. Hangovers come from drinking too much, dehydration, lack of sleep and sugar overload sometimes. Also dark liquors have slightly more toxins in them than clear ones so they tend to make you feel a little more hung over too. Pace yourself, have water inbetween each drink, don't drink a ton, and get 8 hrs of sleep after your night out and u should be fine What annoys me is when a bar charges $18 for a " well liquor " long island iced tea. C'mon now :p Soon after I moved to South Beach, I just bought a bunch of bottles for my apartment. I'd rather pre-game there, maybe play a short drinking game, then go out and sip ONE drink at the bar and some water too. I'm not rich but I like to have a good time

New User

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post
    Amen! I couldn't agree more! I went to key west for the night last year and was shocked how much cheaper the drinks were there than in South Beach ( i figured a tourist kinda city was going to be $$$$ either way )

A little thing about well liquor (the cheap stuff) VS. the good top shelf stuff. The difference is pretty much just taste. If you are going to do a straight shot, you probably want the more expensive stuff if you don't want it to taste horrid. If its in a mixed drink, there is nothing wrong with getting the cheap stuff. It does not make you any less drunk and it is just a myth that it gives you a "worse hangover" I know someone who was a bartender for years and is now a doctor and they said, not true. Hangovers come from drinking too much, dehydration, lack of sleep and sugar overload sometimes. Also dark liquors have slightly more toxins in them than clear ones so they tend to make you feel a little more hung over too. Pace yourself, have water inbetween each drink, don't drink a ton, and get 8 hrs of sleep after your night out and u should be fine What annoys me is when a bar charges $18 for a " well liquor " long island iced tea. C'mon now :p Soon after I moved to South Beach, I just bought a bunch of bottles for my apartment. I'd rather pre-game there, maybe play a short drinking game, then go out and sip ONE drink at the bar and some water too. I'm not rich but I like to have a good time
    Shannon you're right about the hangover causes. With some liquors the cheap stuff can contribute to a worse hangover but it's due to the reasons you listed. Low quality Tequila isn't made from 100% Agave and to comply with Mexican law it has to be at least 51%. The other 49% is usually just cheap sugar alcohol so the added sugar content will contribute to a worse hangover. Cheap Scotch is the same way. There's virtually no difference in Vodka other than a slight different taste. Same with rum. The only times you should order good liquors would be if you're sipping it on the rocks or mixed with other high quality liquors and fresh fruit. Anything mixed with more than 50% mixer doesn't matter what kind of liquor you get. The whole point of a shot is to get it down quickly and move on to something else, I'd never shoot anything good because I wouldn't have time to enjoy it.

As far as the prices in Miami vs. everywhere else, I understand the costs to operate the clubs are higher than about anywhere in the country. Unless the employees in Miami are making a killing (which I doubt), the only cost that would be significantly more than anywhere else would be rent. Liquor is pretty much the same everywhere. The furniture, A/V equipment, and building materials are about the same throughout the country. Local taxes may add a chunk but State & Federal taxes, and ABC license won't be any different than anywhere else. So unless the employees are making a killing the clubs are raking it in. I can't blame them one bit for the prices they charge if they can get it. If there were no tourists in Miami they would all be forced to lower their prices or go out of business. Few places cater to the locals because they know where the money comes from. Tourists will continue to go to the most expensive clubs and pay thousands for a bottle. The club owners know this and take advantage of it, it may not be right but it's business.

Very true D-carrot.

Ale House in Coral Gables has $5 drinks. Not sure if it's every night, but I was there one Sunday with Carlos and we definitely took advantage of the prices!

Flanigan's in Pinecrest (and I believe all of them, actually) has 1/2 off EVERYTHING after 9 PM. Not pitchers but drinks. So you can order premium and get half. I've had martinis there for $3. I have to double check if it's only Mon-Fri though.

Monty's sobe does 1/2 4 to 7 PM Mon-Fri ... great happy hour.

I know there are more ... I'll chime in later.

The Loggerhead, which is also a Flanigans, doesn't have the half-off deal because they are the most popular location being in the Grove and all.

But they still have very good prices.

And we were at the Ale House on a Saturday night, not Sunday, so yes, they have excellent prices. And the food is not bad either.

well i am a consumer as well.. and a smart consumer knows what he is paying for.. we live in miami.. and the taxes generated by liquor alone in miami beach paid off the free wireless internet on the beach and all the new palms trees.. so you may not care, but i do.. and it has nothing to do with being a promoter.. i look at how everything has an effect on our economy, my wallet, and the well being of our city.... maybe you didn't care to know why, but i am sure there are other people that don't understand why??

i think you can tell from the ambience and look of a place what to expect.. if you want the cheap stuff go to a bar or a venue that is not so sophisticated... i am not defending the bar at the fontainebleau as i dont work there nor promote for it.. but I did provide how and why so perhaps the person spending has a better understanding of why they spent that and should seek to drink elsewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonSoBe View Post

sorry but cheap vodka gives me a headache.. and its not because of the reasons you gave.. its because its not distilled well enough and does not have the better grains being used.. my uncle is in the vodka making business.. the more distilled a vodka is, the less after effects one has...

pregamming is good..

well Fabian, all the power to ya if you can afford to drink where ever you want and afford the good vodka too. * cheers *

Quote Originally Posted by Fabian G. View Post
    well i am a consumer as well.. and a smart consumer knows what he is paying for.. we live in miami.. and the taxes generated by liquor alone in miami beach paid off the free wireless internet on the beach and all the new palms trees.. so you may not care, but i do.. and it has nothing to do with being a promoter.. i look at how everything has an effect on our economy, my wallet, and the well being of our city.... maybe you didn't care to know why, but i am sure there are other people that don't understand why??
    In other words, if you don't drink overpriced booze, then you are not doing your civic duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    In other words, if you don't drink overpriced booze, then you are not doing your civic duty.
    Hahahahaha.

And sorry Fabian but I don't buy it. I know how it all works... I know the mark up on drinks and the cost prices, I know what clubs pay to have dancers, djs, etc and how booking a big name can make them no money but it is worth it to have the PR of so and so playing at Mansion etc...

Basically it is a business, and Miamians get ripped off a little bit more than the average consumer because they have the privilege of drinking their drink in South Beach.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast