Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How sociable will locals be to a lone Brit tourist?

Default Re: How sociable will locals be to a lone Brit tourist?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    I mean will I come across people who don't speak English at all?
    Ohhh yes...

Miami is predominantly a Spanish speaking city. That is the first language. As in, you will be at Publix buying food or getting on the bus and ask for something simple, and the checkout person or fellow bus passenger will not understand a word you just said.

You are going to hear Spanish all day long, and come across many people who do not speak English at all. Welcome to Miami!!!

Hi Bloke, I think we are all assuming that you will be staying in South Beach, right? Because if that's the case, you will not be in Miami.

As someone who speaks Spanish and is completely bilingual, I can understand how my non-Spanish speaking friends feel. But I have to tell you, I go for DAYS without speaking Spanish at all in everything from the smallest business interaction to socializing at a big event. It just depends on what section of Miami you are in and where you go, what circles you mingle in. I actually have to make an effort to speak Spanish. I'm talking about Miami, mind you, not South Beach, which is its own self-contained animal.

So bottom line, when people say Miami is predominantly Spanish speaking, you have to ask yourself, which section of Miami are you referring too?

You'll meet people from all over the world in South Beach, so it will be international. I wouldn't worry about it.

Miami is a true melting pot, so you will meet people from all over the world. That's one of the things that attracted me to South Beach in the first place. It felt like it was a real world culture. Even though many of the people will speak Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Haitian as their native languages, most of them speak English as well. The Jazz on the Beach hostel was one of the friendliest environments I've found in any city. It's a great place to meet people.

I've been to places where they did speak a completely different language, like Italy and Germany, and I was surprised to find how well I got along there, even though I can only manage a few words and phrases in those languages. It was fun to be "the foreigner" and I instantly had an air of exoticness I didn't have back home!

begin with a question that doesn't imply you are a tourist.

Yeah, but in South Beach you will still meet a ton of workers who speak zero English. Jess, for instance, rarely leaves the Beach and runs into this all the time. I leave the Beach every day, and run into it even more.

So, basically, yeah, you'd probably be better off coming from Spain if you wanted to communicate easily here than Ireland.

Except for the stupid lisp they have.

Jess, can you share with us the story of the Carnival cruiser?

New User

Default No worries bloke

People here are friendly compared to new york i was there alone i got scared how unfriendly people are there . I speak with strangers all the time if there looking at a map or need help with direction I always help those in need . Mostly Spanglish a mix of spanish and english . No worries most of the people here are friendly .

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Jess, can you share with us the story of the Carnival cruiser?
    The complaint when the woman wrote to Carnival complaining that she flew into Miami airport and would never cruise out of Miami again as no one spoke English?

Which is totally a true story btw.

Some of my friends suggested Miami is dangerous.

Any big city could be considered dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
    Miami is REALLY big. When people refer to Miami, they mean the county, not just a small city boundary. You really need to speak of which areas are dangerous or not. Just like any big city, there are some sections that are better than others.

I think the notion of Miami being unsocialable is over exaggerated. If a prick doesn't want to say hi or whatever, that is not a ME problem. It is the same in all big cities ( can't believe I just inferred Miami as a big city , but you know what I mean).

Miami just may have a few more wary people running from the INS and avoid any unnecessary contact.

In Miami, it can be a little worse than just not saying hi. It's the only city I know that has sidewalk rage.

Some people here in Northern Ireland are so rude but I just ignore them because there are others who are friendly and kind. I guess its the same in Miami.

There has been a history of terrible violence in my home town of Derry, this is where 30 years of the troubles in the north of Ireland began.

Indeed Paul. That is a different kind of violence altogether and we are fortunate to not have a region in strife like that.

Default Make Friends

Will u be in Florida late june/early july Maria de los Angeles? I would love to meet you! Do you use facebook?

Hi Paul, yes I'll be here! I always love to meet our forum members. It's part of my hospitality.

Maybe we could get a group together at Monty's so you can meet me and the others here. Let me know your dates.

My facebook name is the same as here.

Montys at sunset is the best

keep us posted Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
    Hi Paul,

I would worry more about how dangerous the sun will be for your Irish skin than being a victim of a crime in Miami. The only real dangers are at night..getting things taken at a club if you leave them out of your sight, restaurants on Ocean Dr. overcharging you, or going swimming in the ocean at 3am and a pickpocket making off with your valuables.

Thumbs up June 20

i will arrive in miami international airport on june 20(and leave florida july 4), still need to decide if i will camp or stay in a hostel. The cheaper option is probably the best.

i would like to add you on facebook Maria de los Angeles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast