Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How sociable will locals be to a lone Brit tourist?

New User

Default How sociable will locals be to a lone Brit tourist?

I'll be in Miami alone in June and was wondering how sociable locals would be to a British guy on his own?

To put you into perspective I was in NYC and tried making conversation with random guys. Most of them reacted in some weird homophobic 'why-are-you-talking-to-me?' kinda way.

When I'm out alone I generally talk to everyone and am sociable. I'm not worried at all about people thinking I'm weird for being alone; I'm a tourist and thats the perfect excuse...beats staying at hotel alone all night.

I'll also add that I like to 'work' a room. What are some good small enough places (not too large) that I can do this? Some advised Delano and Plunge?
    Last edited by Bloke; 04-11-2011 at 08:49 AM.

If you want to meet people and not come across weird, hit up the local bars. Go to Waxys, Playwright and definitely Teds, sit at the bar and you'll get chatting to people no problem.

Now keep in mind, these bars are not the glam Miami places... if you want that maybe try The Clevelander but you may get the NYC reaction. And Delano and Plunge 100% you will. Stuck up bars bring in stuck up people.

Teds is your best bet, even I go and drink there on my own and it's no issue at all.

One of the friendliest bars I ever found on South Beach was The Room (100 Collins Ave.). It's just a big room with lots of varieties of beer. Since it's small, it's easier to get to know the people around you. Another bar that was easy to strike up a conversation in was Zeke's Roadhouse (625 Lincoln Road). Very friendly, none of that club 'tude!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, Bloke. Welcome to Miami Beach 411. Good question. My answer is no and yes.

From my experience, people in Miami don't go out of their way to be nice to strangers, which I suspect is a cultural thing, with so many people coming from other countries.

Then again, it's pretty easy to meet other people who are on vacation.

Here's an idea...

Rather than going to a bar, where people will often have their guard up, you might have better luck meeting new people at a Tweetup, or a social media-type event.

June is a great month to visit.

What are your dates of stay?

Yeah, going out alone here isn't that odd because we have a lot of visitors on our own. And I've had conversations with a ton of them just because it's interesting. Go to the spots Jess suggested and you should find at least a few folks to talk to. I wouldn't say we're necessarily nicer than they are in NY, but we are smaller. and a smaller town makes for slightly more talkative people.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you'll have a good time and find plenty of folks willing to talk. Foreign visitors on their own are the norm in Miami.

New User

Default Re: How sociable will locals be to a lone Brit tourist?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    From my experience, people in Miami don't go out of their way to be nice to strangers, which I suspect is a cultural thing, with so many people coming from other countries.

What are your dates of stay?
    You make them sound xenophobic! Or perhaps its just locals are tired of tourists trashing their city. I'm in town from June 8th - 19th.

Thanks for all the info, guys.
    Last edited by Bloke; 04-12-2011 at 06:24 AM.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I wouldn't say we're necessarily nicer than they are in NY, but we are smaller. and a smaller town makes for slightly more talkative people.
    I thought NYC was just like that cos it was the big bad city and as such people are always on guard when it comes to strangers. Miami on the other hand I always saw as a sunny place with great weather and fantastic beaches and beautiful people so all the more reason to be happy and friendly.

Bloke i will also be in miami in june, i'm from northern ireland and am a little worried americans won't understand my accent, i'm friendly and love to meet people so if u like we could have a drink together

i arrive in miami on june 26

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Bloke, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. When I said...

people in Miami don't go out of their way to be nice to strangers, which I suspect is a cultural thing, with so many people coming from other countries.
    I meant so many Miami residents come from other countries.

There is no backlash against visitors. Rather, just a cold shoulder towards anyone who is a stranger, but based on this introduction, you should have no problem hooking up.

If you're looking for things to do, the night you arrive, they're screening "Wizard of Oz" at the outdoor theater, next to Lincoln Road. Here is a link with the details:

Soundscape Cinema Series: The Wizard of Oz

In addition to the places Doug, and Jess mentioned, other good spots for meeting people are the Clevelander bar and the youth hostels in South Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    I thought NYC was just like that cos it was the big bad city and as such people are always on guard when it comes to strangers. Miami on the other hand I always saw as a sunny place with great weather and fantastic beaches and beautiful people so all the more reason to be happy and friendly.
    That is certainly the impression people get, and yes we do have great weather. But... we are like NYC and people here can be rude and abrupt. This is still a city, and a tough one to live in at that. Live here all year round and you maybe see the beach once every two months as real life gets in the way.

Miami is a thriving city like all others, but with that comes the homeless, rough areas of town and a real cultural divide. We just don't want you to be disappointed if not everyone you speak to is happy and friendly.

On a happier note, you are English and people tend to like our accents here so that should help you strike up conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    Exactly! The weather in Miami is great and lots of people are here on holiday, so they're happy and cheerful. In NY, chances are the person isn't mean, but if it's cold an rainy no one wants to stand on the street and chat no matter how nice and interesting you are. Plus people who work in NY are commuting and generally overworked...all they want to do is catch a train home.

Since the weather in Miami is amazing, people are happy to do a "stop and chat" as I like to call it. You'll only be in town for one month, so making friends with people even to just go out for one night should be easy. Play volleyball on 8th and Ocean, do meet-ups/tweet-ups like Gus suggested, go to the hostel bars where there are lots of solo travelers, the local bars like Jess mentioned, and I wouldn't discount the Delano.. although to stand there and have drink after drink it gets pricey. I met a really great couple from England and ended up going on a club with them one night. You can check out Mary Brickell Village ($28 taxi ride) where lots of Brickell locals go. Work the English accent and you're bound to make friends! I'm sure you'll have a great time here. And to meet people from this site, check back often to see when the next meet-up is.
    Gus likes this.

Hi Bloke! Welcome to the forums!

I just got back from NYC and Brooklyn and didn't find people that off-putting. It just depends. I went to a networkers though, where people were ready to talk and they were already inside a bar, coats checked and relaxing. You seem like me, able to work a room, so I think you'll be ok.

You may not always be sitting next to the right person to strike up a conversation with, but then again, you win some, you lose some and at least you're out and about, enjoying a beverage.

Add to your list: outdoor or indoor bar at Smith & Wollensky, Monty's (happy hour during sunset), The Abbey, Club Deuce. I'm a single, female local and have no hesitation going to any of these places. I generally end up talking to someone there. It's not even about picking up or hanging out. It's just passing the time.

I've also met great folks at the Delano before it gets all clubby at night. Sit at the back bar, by the pool.

You do realize my concern is the opposite of yours: "Will the tourists be sociable with a lone local?" -- I have NEVER had a problem with this in South Beach, provided I went to a place that had the right kind of vibe for me. You will also be meeting other tourists as well, which is fun. I like Monty's for that, and also, because it involves people from boating and sailing communities. Always interesting people but there's no attitude. And I have never walked out of Club Deuce without an interesting story to archive. One plus about the places I listed is that also, the bartenders are willing to talk to you as well. It's entertaining, at the very least.

PaulC, I'd say 3/4 of the people in Miami have unintelligible accents. Irish is probably one of the easier ones to understand. So you'll be ok.

i hope i don't have any problems matt, i love 2 take it easy on holiday, i considered going 2 spain but i didn't want 2 struggle to be understood

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
    i considered going 2 spain but i didn't want 2 struggle to be understood
    I am unsure if this is an innocent remark or a joke as you do realise Spanish is the number one language in Miami?!

I really can't add anything new to this forum, but I do agree with Jess that you should have no problem talking to people at sit-down bars rather than clubs or lounges with loud music where you can't even hear yourself talk.

I never had a problem in NYC either in bars.

It's just a matter of being natural about it. If it comes across forced, then it may scare people off.

Yeeeeah...Jess makes a good point. You leave the Beach and nobody's gonna understand you anyway. Because, for the most part, this is a Spanish-speaking city.

Hi PaulC, I was in a TV show with Daithi O Sea and worked with a production crew of four Irish guys -- I had no problem understanding them

My former client was Irish and I could only NOT understand him after he had a few pints. He spoke a language all his own after that ...

New User

Do people speak mostly Spanish or English in Miami? I mean will I come across people who don't speak English at all?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast