Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Roth or Hagar?... Just kidding. The real question is Lennon or McCarthy?

Default Re: Roth or Hagar?... Just kidding. The real question is Lennon or McCarthy?

I actualyl never got the appeal of the Beatles. Like the music seemed too soft for Rock and Roll, too loud for easy listening. I know I'm in the vast minority on this one. I was once lambasted by a group of Hipsters in Brooklyn for saying as much.

Default Re: Roth or Hagar?... Just kidding. The real question is Lennon or McCarthy?

Gus: I was just trying to be cute with the Beatle side-bar. I have yet to see that publicized doc on the Beatles that was to come out ... and Lord help us from Beatles2. The offspring is trying to reconstitute.

Having said that, Kool and the Gang warmed us up nicely in Tampa. Be sure not to miss then out at Summerfest.

As far as Van Halen, I have to agree with the rave reviews of the tour. It was totally awesome.

Even though Eddie has half a tongue after his cancer bout, his solo amplified the concert. He licked it like an old cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I actualyl never got the appeal of the Beatles. Like the music seemed too soft for Rock and Roll, too loud for easy listening. I know I'm in the vast minority on this one. I was once lambasted by a group of Hipsters in Brooklyn for saying as much.
    Sorry to hear they did that to you. I bet after that you liked The Beatles even less..!

How can one argue with or trying to debate someone's taste? Liking a certain type of music is, well, a preference one has. There's no right or wrong. I think a lot of our music taste has to do with what we grew up with. It's like comfort food. You like what you liked when you were a kid and that which fulfilled your needs under the given circumstances.

In the possession of "The Complete Beatles Collection for Piano", The Beatles have taught me a great deal of English, lyrical wit, and the appreciation of harmonious chords when I played the piano as a 13-year-old. I loved sound (music, language) - hence my needs were met.

I don't think you are in the minority though, Matt. See how few people had anything to say about Lennon and McCartney really. I'd say an interest in rock music is more present here. But do note that this thread has had only male participants (besides me).

I tried to make that point to the hipsters, that music is like food or women, we just all have a certain taste and you can't really argue "good" or "bad." They didn't seem to agree. Then again, they're hipsters.

@ Ingrid, "Julia" is one my favorite Beatles songs too, along with 'Oh Darlin", and "Eleanor Rigby". And yes we prefer the music we grew up on, or what was popular when you're about 12-14, which is when you start developing your musical tastes a bit more. When I was growing up, Alternative rock was the rage.

@ Blackford, A few weeks back I caught Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Bank Atlantic Center, the place was packed and the Peppers rocked. I'm sure Van Halen got a lot of folks too. Many South Floridians, including Hispanics who grew up in that era, like Van Halen. If it were 1984, the concert would've been at the Orange bowl.
    Ingrid likes this.

I'm sorry I never saw a concert at the OB. I think Metallica played there when I first moved here. How was it, Mario?

Both Janet and I are not Beatles fans, either. So, chalk up 2 more non-Beatles fans Also, what is a "hipster"? I think I have an idea, but not sure.

Glenn

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

This is as good a definition as I could give. Williamsburg and the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles are the two most prevalent examples of place I've found them.

matt- I didn't get that your Silver Lake reference......
    It was always a gay refuge and it got too hip for me during Reagan,.. somewhat a hot spot like Echo Park today.

I was never a Beatlenick. Remember my parents heading off to the Hollywood Bowl to catch their act as a kid.

I'll give then their due. Dear Prudence always resonated with me and Glass Onion epitomized their anthology
    better than any other number. My favorites change with my mood.

Even though I like the Beatles, I'm really a Led Zeppelin dude.

MARIO : As far as Miami concerts, Mana is due in town next month.

That date is formidable at the moment, but I'd really like to go...

I actually never got... the Beatles.

To quote John Lennon, you are "The Eggman"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpil_pRUiw
    Last edited by fredgarvin; 04-21-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Blackford, next time you're out in LA go hang out in Silver Lake. SUPER hipster. Culver City is getting more and moreso as well. It's actually where I've hung out the last couple of times I've gone out in LA. Not bad for a night.

I'm sorry I never saw a concert at the OB. I think Metallica played there when I first moved here. How was it, Mario?
    It was pretty good. The Peppers played at least 2 hours and most of their hits.

Matt: What part of Silverlake ? I'll safely assume it's not on Hyperion for the obvious reasons.

I love the resorvoir area, but suspect you are referring to the area where Santa Monica Blvd merges with Sunset or a bit eastward. Ya...that area has transformed nicely during the last 12 years. Eventually it will merge with Echo Park,which is also enjoying a renaissance.

I used to live on North Hoover between Los Feliz and Silverlake. I used to enjoy walking on Hyperion a lot. It's a really cool little peaceful enclave in the chaotic sprawl of LA. What were the obvious reasons you didn't think Matt would hang there, Blackford? It's a very diverse area, upscale, lots of restaurants, Trader Joe's, etc. Even some remnants of the original Disney studios are there, I believe. They were turned into apartment buildings.

Yeah actually that's about exactly where I was referring. The far eastern parts of Sunset over there where it kinda bends around. By the exit off the 101 to Silver Lake. I'll go check it out again next time I'm out there, but when I went 2 years ago it was HEAVILY hipstered.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I used to live on North Hoover between Los Feliz and Silverlake. I used to enjoy walking on Hyperion a lot. It's a really cool little peaceful enclave in the chaotic sprawl of LA. What were the obvious reasons you didn't think Matt would hang there, Blackford? It's a very diverse area, upscale, lots of restaurants, Trader Joe's, etc. Even some remnants of the original Disney studios are there, I believe. They were turned into apartment buildings.
    I didn't think Matt would be a a client of the Frog Pond or other gay establishments on Hyperion. They are cleverly stealth and look well maintained. Even I was a patron of Body Builders.

Growiwing up I spend alot of time near Hoover. Cousins lived on Virginia, a few blocks from Thomas Starr King Jr H. Even tossed an accordian after lesson at El Cid. It earned me a whipping.

As far as the hipster elememt, that was long in comming. I used to hit that Silver Lake laundry mat on poetry night.

Before I left, it was a neighborhood on the up and up - that includes Echo Park.

Just today I caught a video on LAist.com that was anti Echo Park/Silver Lake Hipster. Busted me up.

Thats all cool...but if I lived in Silver Lake, it would be definitely near the reservior.
    That's always been hip( my terms) and close to everything.

You might educate me on the remnants of the old Disney Studio. Interesting

Just blocks away on Hyperion, turning N of Griffith Park Blvd, just past John Marshall was his house.

The major bail bondsman in LA, Ed Nardoni bought the place. Lucky for me, Lisa and Lori Nardoni were my friends growing up. We tore that place up in 79.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12