Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: I've made up my mind. It's Romney !

Default Re: I've made up my mind. It's Romney !

Well, another reason not to vote republican/tea party:

The head of the tea party thinks people who rent instead of own their property don't deserve to vote. Nice!

Here’s the full quote, from Tea Party Nation Radio:

“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Ewww, that, along with the incident in the Republican debate the other night in which the audience cheered the idea of letting an uninsured person die, really makes it obvious for me who not to vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Well, another reason not to vote republican/tea party:

The head of the tea party thinks people who rent instead of own their property don't deserve to vote. Nice!
    Have nothing to do with the Tea Party but I've been saying that for years. The time I did mention it here, got scolded by Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Have nothing to do with the Tea Party but I've been saying that for years. The time I did mention it here, got scolded by Matt.
    And rightfully so. Few people want to live in an oligarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Ewww, that, along with the incident in the Republican debate the other night in which the audience cheered the idea of letting an uninsured person die, really makes it obvious for me who not to vote for.
    The plant in the audience is not running for office.

The video says otherwise. The "audience" did not "cheer". A couple individuals shouted out. .. about 0:38 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJpo...eature=related

Also, an audience member, who was interviewed today, said that people in the crowd turned around in anger looking for who shouted out, "Yes".

Plants? Good possibly.
    A whole audience cheering? Not at all.

Thank goodness for youtube and alternaitve media. In the "old days", we had to trust the old stodgy "mainstream" media to hopefully report accurately on things like this. ... And, many times they didn't.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 09-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.

That might be so G, but I hated the idea that this was a " Tea Bag" sponsored event.

As I was switching back and forth with MNF, I didn't catch the ground rules. Unless it was in CNN's political interest, cheering should not have been allowed. It's always frowned upon in these type of debates. These " tea sacks" cheered everytime Perry or Bachman opened their mouths.

Nevertheless, Romney didn't cower to that particular group and was his own man.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    That might be so G, but I hated the idea that this was a " Tea Bag" sponsored event.

As I was switching back and forth with MNF, I didn't catch the ground rules. Unless it was in CNN's political interest, cheering should not have been allowed. It's always frowned upon in these type of debates. These " tea sacks" cheered everytime Perry or Bachman opened their mouths.

Nevertheless, Romney didn't cower to that particular group and was his own man.

Looking more and more like Romney will eventually get the nomination as Perry and Bachman beat up each other over the Gardisil vaccination issue. Perry is on top now, but he will implode sooner or later. Bachman is already toast. Brylcreem man will be left standing.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    The video says otherwise. The "audience" did not "cheer". A couple individuals shouted out. .. about 0:38 into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJpo...eature=related

Also, an audience member, who was interviewed today, said that people in the crowd turned around in anger looking for who shouted out, "Yes".

Plants? Good possibly.
    A whole audience cheering? Not at all.

Thank goodness for youtube and alternaitve media. In the "old days", we had to trust the old stodgy "mainstream" media to hopefully report accurately on things like this. ... And, many times they didn't.

Glenn
    In the clips I saw, people were cheering. "Yeah!" is a cheer. Not the whole audience, but a few vocal members of it. Even those who weren't actively yelling still adhere to the belief that that uninsured people should have no tax-supported recourse for hospital/health care. Ron Paul himself suggested those in need turn to churches for help. Most churches I've been to have few ministries in place that support the outside community. The Catholics and the Seventh Day Adventists are the most generous I've seen in this regard, but even they are limited when their congregants can't make a living wage.
    Last edited by Doug; 09-16-2011 at 08:52 PM.

In the clips I saw, people were cheering. I wasn't taking someone else's word for it. .

That's why you can't trust much of the "mainstream media". They're more interested in sensationalism. The clip I linked was a raw clip taken directly from raw debate, as seen on live TV....taken by someone straight off their TV.
    You likely saw clips "put together" by some media group trying to sensationalize the story. They do this a lot. They'll show one clip and insert sound from another clip, or try to take it out of context. Don't trust "media clips" that are put together by news organizations after the fact.

In the video above, which was taken straight from the debate, watch it again. There was no cheering after the question about letting the guy die, except for the couple yahoos (or plants?) yelling "yes" at 0:38. Blitzer asked at 0:35 if we should let him die. The couple yahoos yelled at 0:38. In the video above there is no cheering in that section.

By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm not a Ron Paul fan. He's too flaky on his gold standard rants, and too weak on one of the area where the federal governemnt actual IS supposed to have power....national defense.

You're right about Catholic charities. I didn't know about 7th Day Adventists. I'm sure both of those groups are more efficient than the Fed Gov, who only gives 28 cents of every dollar to the actual recipient, and wastes 72 cents of every dollar. The private charities are much better. I'd be all for a tax reduction where even half of that reduction is required to be given to a legit charity such as those you mentioned. The taxpayer would keep more money, ...the charity would get more money, .... and the needy recipients would get more money. The only loser would be the wasteful beaurocrats. It's a winner for everyone else.

Whaddayasay? You in for that plan? No real downside except for the beaurocrats who insist on Big Gov control.
    You can bet a lot of politicians would reject it. For them, it's as much about the control of people as it is about the money itself. They want to control an entire dependent class.

Glenn

Glenn

I didn't see the debate, because, really, this is like getting all excited over a pre season football game or Spring Practice.

BUT.....

End of life care is actually one of the HUGE reasons health care is so expensive. If we just let people die when they're terminal, instead of keeping them alive on all these machines and treatments and doctor time, we might actually save some money. It's essentially spending a lot of money to keep people alive longer than they need to be.

If that was the point they were making, I can get behind that.
    GandJ likes this.

There is a church-run clinic in DeLand called the Good Samaritan Clinic. You really have to be poor in order to get services there. Fortunately, I was poor enough. I needed a colonoscopy and they arranged it. I'm all for empowering these kinds of organizations in addition to public option health care. More choices is a good thing, and a public option keeps the private insurers' prices down.

Glen, I remember George W was big on partnering with faith based organizations. If I also remember correctly, Obama supported that as well. I'm wondering if this is even functioning, or did the ACLU sent their wolves.

In regards to the debates, there has to come a time when you just can't clutter the stage. There must be a standard: If you ain't polling at a certain percentage, you watch it on TV.

As far as Paul goes, he's developed a cult following, but his only function in these debates is to act as a court jester. You do have to admit, he deals some truthful zingers.

I like the old man but he tarnished himself in my eyes with the questionable response. Even if you hold that conviction, you can't be stupid enough to mouth it. The sadder thing is nobody on the stage took advantage to take on the compassionate view. Romney missed a hanging curve ball opportunity.

If you noticed in the first debate, the crowd cheered widely when Perry defended his Capital Punishment position. That was a more unison reaction from the crowd than what happened in Tampa. Both instances turned me off. I don't make a big stinkl about about it, but I'm against abortion. I just believe if that if it's part of your core internal platform, you must protect life in all forms and be consistent.

Let me just say: If those arse wipes the other day that egged Paul on don't believe in abortion, and want a sick person to die, they're hippocritical confused cretins.
    Doug, laurab and Matt Meltzer like this.

I'm not sure about faith-based organisations getting involved in people's health.

Everyone should be able to get independent advice, given without agenda, on matters such as abortion, contraception and fertility, and these religious bodies can't give that. It's fine for them to be involved if an individual has sought them out, but like Doug said the key thing is choice - those without insurance should have secular organisations to turn to as well.

I'll readily admit to being uncomfortable with the ease of access to abortion in some states (though not the practice itself), but I'd be far more uncomfortable if women or couples in that situation had nowhere to turn to for unbiased information.

Ikon, even though some of our best hospitals have a religious iffiliation. I interpreted Paul's comment more as a " comfort issue" then a medical solution.

If I remember correctly, the question in the debate brought up an example of a cancer patient.

Doug -

You lived in DeLand? Did you ever visit that funky town nearby (forgot the name) with all the psychics? Saw a TV show about it. Looks kind of creepy, but at the same time, I want to check it out.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    End of life care is actually one of the HUGE reasons health care is so expensive. If we just let people die when they're terminal, instead of keeping them alive on all these machines and treatments and doctor time, we might actually save some money. It's essentially spending a lot of money to keep people alive longer than they need to be.

If that was the point they were making, I can get behind that.

Totally agree. if I get to that stage some day, pull the plug. The ride is over.

Glenn
    laurab likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    Totally agree. if I get to that stage some day, pull the plug. The ride is over.

Glenn
    Whoa, this seems like a pretty abrupt turn around from the Obama death panel concerns expressed by Sarah Palin and her fellow conservatives a while back!

Glenn, I lived in DeLand for about 16 months and used to go to Cassadaga frequently. I even wrote an article about it for Miami Beach 411 here. It is a beautiful town and some of the mediums are very gifted. And some are just trying to make some money! I recommend it very highly as a place to see.

Concerning the fallout over the "let him die" issue at the Republican debate the other night, this lady offered a sobering perspective:

I'm not sure what turn-around you are referring to. I don't believe I have doscussed that topic on this forum before .
    To be clear, pull the plug if I'm end-stage / terminal. Not where I don't fit the Gov's cost/benefit actuarial table. Big difference. This is not Amsterdam. But yeah, don't leave me plugged in as a vegetable racking up medical bills. As for Palin, she needs to go away and take a rest. She has turned into a publicity whore.

Cassadaga.....That's it. Okay, they are "mediums". I was trying to think of that term earlier. Reminds me of the old silly joke:
    What do you call an escaped criminal dwarf?
    A small medium at large.

Regarding the fellow named Steve mentioned in the video clip, what happened to him is a tragic example of the beaurocracy F-ing him over. He paid into Medicare all his working career (not by choice, but he was forced to pay into it), and now they tell him he "doesn't qualify" because of some clusterf*ck governement rules! ...(he's too young). Imagine, just imagine if he was able to take even part of that money that he was forced to give to the government all those years and put it toward a long-term disability policy. It would have cost less than what he had given to the gov all those years in FICA taxes, he would extra money left over, and he would be covered. With the good 'ol inefficient money vacuum Big Gov plan, he got screwed.
    Braver politicans say Medicare needs to be reformed. And wow are they right. Steve is a good example of why. Many chicken out when people start squaking, "Don't touch Medicare!". So, they don't touch it, and we end up with situations like Steve's.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 09-17-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Twentynine Palms? I didn't know anyone actually LIVED there.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast