Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Weight loss secrets

Default Re: Weight loss secrets

I'm listening to the doctor on this one. I think he knows best.

Carbs are not bad, people never seem to understand this. If you are an active person, they're actually crucial. If you're burning 2000-3000 calories a day during your workouts and not eating carbs your performance will suffer.

Doug the only times I've lost weight not during a training cycle was when I cut out alcohol. It's amazing how an 8 hour drinking binge can quadruple your daily calorie intake.

Oh, and not smoking weed helps too. I've noticed even the most stringent dieters seem to not care what they're eating when they're high.

I thought my nightly 2 glasses of wine might interfere with my weight loss, but I notice I'm still losing weight at the right pace as long as I remain under my maximum calorie intake for the day. I started on Jan 28 and less than a month later, I'm down 9 lbs. I don't really want to lose weight any faster than that, because I could lose muscle mass. Using the calorie counting website has given me the structure I need to accurately gauge my daily calorie intake.
    Christy likes this.

I've lost almost 20 pounds since October without working out at all by making some simple adjustments to my diet.

I don't have strict guidelines but I basically eliminated bread, pizza, pastas and fried food.

That's not to say I don't occasionally indulge, just not nearly as much as before.

I used to wake up in the morning, then go down to Sergio's for breakfast where I would eat buttered Cuban toast and croquetas with Cuban espresso loaded with sugar.

Now I make myself a protein shake using hemp, frozen berries, chocolate and almond milk. That keeps me full for a few hours.

For lunch, I used to either go down to Sergio's and get a Cuban steak sandwich or make something equally greasy at home.

Now I just eat handfuls of pistachos or berry trail mix, both which I buy at Costco.

For dinner, I used to cook up all kinds of greasy, starchy foods in my kitchen, now I try to eat a salad with protein, either steak or chicken breast.

I cut out beer and now drink wine or vodka, which although might have the same calories as beer, doesn't bloat me as much.

I also munch on celery or carrot sticks for snacks.

And I also try not to eat anything with wheat in it.

I basically eat little snacks throughout the day. I don't starve myself.

And as I said, I still indulge in bar food and beer every once in a while, but even then, I don't go crazy with the fries or bread.

And I also weigh myself regularly. I went to a Superbowl party where I drank beer all day and night and ate lots of chips and sweets and gained five pounds, so I made sure to eat very lightly the next two days and I quickly dropped those five pounds.

I was never a soda drinker but I used to drink loads of cranberry juice, which is supposed to be healthy but also is packed with sugar and carbs. I now drink water instead.

My goal was to make adjustments that I could permanently live with. I didn't want to go on a crash diet, lose a bunch of weight, then gain it all back after going back to my crappy diet.

So now instead of beer and bar food, I go down to Sergio's and have a couple of glasses of wine with tapas, which include shrimp sauted in garlic oil and chorizo cooked with wine. The portions are small and tasty and the carb factor is low.

I was at Monty's last night and ordered some conch fritters and fried dolphin fingers and really didn't enjoy them. They tasted so greasy.

So my taste buds have changed because before I would have devoured those portions and ordered more.
    Gus and Christy like this.

It's all very simple when you think about it.

Jess and Christy like this.

That's more or less true, but keep in mind that even if you eat "more (healthy) food" if you go over your maximum calorie intake, you'll still gain weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That's more or less true, but keep in mind that even if you eat "more (healthy) food" if you go over your maximum calorie intake, you'll still gain weight!
    It's about eating until you're full, which doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself but also means you don't have to starve yourself, because that just makes you hungry and miserable and liable to eat twice as much during your next meal.

I also now use an exercise ball as my office chair, which allows me to bounce around and burn calories.

I started on Jan 28 and less than a month later, I'm down 9 lbs. I don't really want to lose weight any faster than that, because I could lose muscle mass. Using the calorie counting website has given me the structure I need to accurately gauge my daily calorie intake.
    Congrats Doug! I think you found your weight loss secret is keeping a tally of your calories on that site.
    Doug likes this.

I am enjoying reading everyone's diet secrets!
    Doug likes this.

This news article talks about how scientists are perfecting the perfect calorie counter, where you put in your name, age, weight and fitness goals, and it tells you how many calories you need to get there:

http://news.yahoo.com/everything-kno...110802511.html

That's exactly what I'm doing with the calorie counting website. I use one called myfitnesspal.com. But there are several others:

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/calorie_counter.asp
    http://www.fitday.com/
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/
    http://www.caloriecontrol.org/healthy-weight-tool
    http://www.mynetdiary.com/-kit
    http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/
    http://cronometer.com/

I've been on a quest to shed a few extra pounds. Currently I'm watching my calorie intake, doing at least an hour of walking every day, and logging what I eat and how much exercise I get on an online calorie counting website. Have any of you found a secret to losing weight? What have you found that really worked well for you?
    I stopped eating meat, except for once or twice a month if something special comes up. Also, I joined Planet Fitness for the cheap access to 30 min circuit and bikes. My next step is to cut down on happy hour and hopefully I will be spinning again and back in a bikini by this summer.

I also have 10 minute trainer and P90x but they are difficult to do correctly if you are not already in shape. Good luck. Getting back in shape stinks.

Preferred Member

Quote Originally Posted by youwishyoulivedhere View Post
    I stopped eating meat, except for once or twice a month if something special comes up. Also, I joined Planet Fitness for the cheap access to 30 min circuit and bikes. My next step is to cut down on happy hour and hopefully I will be spinning again and back in a bikini by this summer.

I also have 10 minute trainer and P90x but they are difficult to do correctly if you are not already in shape. Good luck. Getting back in shape stinks.
    I also joined planet finess a couple of months ago. The gym has real good cardio and weights. The only negative I can think of is it being super crowded after the hours of 4pm....

Quote Originally Posted by moltobene View Post
    I also joined planet finess a couple of months ago. The gym has real good cardio and weights. The only negative I can think of is it being super crowded after the hours of 4pm....
    It is still crowded but I wonder if it will still be in May, after many people have had their resolutions fade away. Still, for $10 a month I'll find something to keep me there for an hour.

I used to belong to Planet Fitness when I lived in DeLand. It's a really great deal, and the gyms are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Miller View Post
    It's all very simple when you think about it.

That is awesome.

My worst problem is eating late night. Often I don't get home till like 11pm or midnight have had, at best, a few snack stuff since around 11am. So, I'm hungry. I eat and then go to sleep around 2am. Well, that's just not so good for the waistline.

Wait, I totally found your weight loss secret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knjf3ABPc0E

(I know it's a Geico commercial, but tell me that wouldn't work.)

This weight loss app is working great! I'm down 21 lbs as of this morning (Since January 28)!

Wow Doug! Congratulations That app seems to be working!! Take a pic; I'd love to see it!
    Doug likes this.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Doug , Carlos, way to go! Your commitment to loosing weight is inspiring. I've seen some recent pics of you both on FB and you look great.
    Doug likes this.

21lbs!?! Wow!!! Congrats!

I have discovered a secret that might help me shed some lbs I just can't stick to it. I have to stop eating ALL THE TIME, and I think it might work.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast