Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Is Miami Beach sinking?

Never seen it before: the tide along the canals is rising more and more, so much so that now I can not ride my bike on the road and must look for alternative routes or simply turn back. Needless to say, the salt water ruins your mechanical components and forces you to buy another bike.

This happens just as the super storm hit NYC and they suffered catastrophic damage. Maybe from a car is less noticeable or you assume that is just rain water, but it ain't. This is the real thing, we are sinking or the sea is rising, however you want to put it. I wished the ocean rose in this calmed fashion so I can put in my kayak closer, but the next storm may be the final proof of Climate Change.

Are we still looking for proof or just pretending it doesn't exist?

Default Re: Is Miami Beach sinking?

My bike is hating the salt water! I have ridden through floods knee deep, it sucks!

Miami Beach is sinking in my opinion. Never seen such flooding to carry on the way it has, over weeks and weeks. I think it is a combination of high tide, full moon, and tropical storm Sandy.

Too much building too. Remember, this was all march island 150 years ago. It wasn't meant to be built up like this. We may now be seeing the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    My bike is hating the salt water! I have ridden through floods knee deep, it sucks!

Miami Beach is sinking in my opinion. Never seen such flooding to carry on the way it has, over weeks and weeks. I think it is a combination of high tide, full moon, and tropical storm Sandy.
    Well, Sandy is gone but the floods are still around. One day I was going to WholeFoods, which sits in the middle of the flooding, and came back, just went to Publix and came back. I try to stay away from any pool of water. If it gets on the chain try to rinse it with fresh water or, like I said, buy another bike.

If it gets in the hubs where the bearings are, you'll really need another bike.

I know, I am already on an entirely new wheel, and they aren't cheap! I have an Electra beach cruiser, it's like the BMW of bikes... Expensive parts!

One of the ironies of Climate Change is that it floods WholeFoods first. They have installed solar panels and are very progressive about the environment, and somehow people are kept from accessing the store by bike.

I would show my commitment by showing up on paddle board...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/10/3...neath-the.html

Drivers are generally unaware of their driving through sea water, just as they are about pollution, but sooner or later they'll pay the price. Another irony is that perhaps SUVs negotiate the rising waters better. Where's the law of karma?

It's kind of like during blizzards. SUVs handle the best. So occasionally I suppose they are functional. Functionality might account for 5% of SUV purchases (other than moms who need it to lug around kids and all their stuff). But still, they do have a use in times like this.

The similitude to the Titanic can not escape my imagination. They thought it was unsinkable and then the iceberg struck... Actually the iceberg never struck, it was that they were on the wrong course. That's an important clarification.

It could be like a category 5 hurricane hitting an already flooded area. I would be celebrating in Lincoln Road along with the upper crust. I think the sinking of the Titanic was done in great style and the relationship between the rich girl and the poor guy is just romantic. They wouldn't have made a movie if such sinking ended as a free-for-all and the rich escaped first. Did the rich escape first? Anyway the captain of the boat went down with it.

Someone is always responsible for a sinking ship... But is someone responsible for Climate Change or we just blame the crew and the passengers?

Deep, deep question.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    It's kind of like during blizzards. SUVs handle the best. So occasionally I suppose they are functional. Functionality might account for 5% of SUV purchases (other than moms who need it to lug around kids and all their stuff). But still, they do have a use in times like this.
    One possibility is to use an SUP instead of an SUV. That's also known as a paddleboard and it can take you above and beyond what any SUV can over flooded streets. If you can't stand up, don't worry. Kneeling often does the job as well. You may even lie on it and swim if you find it uncomfortable.

I find them the best invention since the kayak. Some may say they are better, but that's only a matter of choice. I like them both. I don't have an SUV but I got two SUPs.

The paddleboard may have being used by the primitive man and ironically by the last man on Earth. Some find it nice as a vehicle for meditation and relaxation. Perhaps better than yoga classes. Well, you can do whatever you want on them.

Look at this awesome view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quC5qBYNMGY

I mean, they're fun. But highly impractical if you need to bring anything with you other than a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I mean, they're fun. But highly impractical if you need to bring anything with you other than a paddle.
    Wait, I have found that placing a cooler on the paddleboard and then sitting on the cooler is a great way to travel. You can bring your sixpack and more. You won't see the winos doing that trick though. It takes a real beach bum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTibetanMonkey View Post

The paddleboard may have being used by the primitive man and ironically by the last man on Earth. Some find it nice as a vehicle for meditation and relaxation. Perhaps better than yoga classes. Well, you can do whatever you want on them.
    I know the guy who posted that you tube video!

I agree, I get the most relaxation from SUP. It is on my wish list to own one.

I totally would use it to get round SoBe too.