Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By durgaprasadzone

Thread: Adopting a Rescue Cavalier

Default Adopting a Rescue Cavalier

Hi guys,

I'm posting this because I know many of you love Ginger and know how sweet she is. Cavaliers are excellent pets if you're looking for a dog. Here's a link to many that are in need of rescue. Before buying that cute puppy in the window as a Christmas gift, think about rescuing one that needs a home. Also, puppies are so much work and adopting an older dog is actually easier.

http://lscr.rescuegroups.org/animals...le,Sponsorship

Default Re: Adopting a Rescue Cavalier

Great info, Christy!

My son has been asking for a dog and adopting will be an excelent idea. Now I need to check on the cost of having a pet.

How much do you think an average owner spend on their pets?

Hi Mirna,

Adopting a rescue is a great idea! How old is your son? If he's old enough to walk the dog than that's great and I'm sure it will teach him responsibility.

Costs of having a dog:

Initial expenses:

dog bed
    collar and leash
    vet visit
    brush/shampoo/scissors
    food/treats
    poop bags
    Heartguard (monthly heartworm protection)
    Comfortis (montly flea protection)
    book about the breed of dog you decide on

For 6 months of comfortis and one year of heartguard I just paid $158. I get the rx from the vet and order through Dr. Foster's and Smith. I got a nice dog bed from Petsmart for about $50. If you have a young dog you can use a large pillow or floor cushion but since my dog is older I got her a nice fleece bed with memory foam since it protects her from arthritus.

The largest expense will be surprise vet bills. Overall, I would budget about $50 per month, after an initial spending of maybe $300 for the items I listed above. Another big expense is having to board the dog if you go away on vacation or need a dog walker during the day. If you have a friend that can dog sit or if you take the dog with you on vacations then that saves a lot. I save money on grooming by doing it myself most of the time. I keep my dog healthy with quality dog food..I think the cheap stuff isn't very good for them..try Wellness or http://frommfamily.com/. Iams is good and not too pricey. Keep us posted on what kind you get!

Hey I thought U should throw my 2 cents here since this is a topic I love talking about. I think adopting shelter dogs, and rescue dogs is a great idea. I have volunteered at shelters, and all my dogs, except my first (I was 2 years old) have been rescues. I currently and the owner of Jane formerly known as Rido's Jane a Greyhound race dog. She had a long racing career of 77 races having won over 8 first place awards, and has been clocked at 47mph. Now she is the lazy princess who spends her afternoons on her bed staring at me while I work.

I have owned several breeds, and sized dogs, and have rehomed many strays. When I had moved to a small apartment I did my research on best apartment dogs, that were larger breeds (I hate bending over to pet my dog). Greyhounds were remarkably towards the top of the list. They are nicknamed the "47mph Couch Potato" because they really are. Jane is large for a female Grey weighing in at 73lbs (racing weight was 67lbs) and she is a little skittish around new people, but really warms up once you get to know her. Greys all have a great personality, and very unique ones at that. I know a couple other retired racing Greyhound owners and not one of our dogs look, or act alike. They come in all sorts of coats, Jane Black and little white, my friends' Greys are one brindle, and the other fawn.

Greys are considered special needs dogs due to their low body fat% they are prone to kidney problems, and bloat. And you can not rough house with them too much due to their reindeer like legs. They also require more expensive food that has to be high in protein. Their low body fat makes them prone to over heating outside, or freezing to death as well with a difficulty to regulate body heat. But they are good with kids, and become very attached to owners.

I think adopting dogs are great and it really gives any dog a second chance at having a great life. Do your research and meet the breeds of dogs you are interested in. And know that you are doing a great thing. AND neuter your dogs, I have seen so many dogs put down because there are too many pooches and not enough owners. Most rescues will include the neutering of your dog in the cost for adoption.

You guys rock!

I always have pets back in Argentina and I miss having dogs. My son doesn't stop asking for one. Thank you for all the info and I will keep you posted about our decision.

New User

Thanks for sharing information. Actually I had also the same question in mind for a long time anyways you started this thread & I am so happy.
    mirna likes this.