Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackford Oakes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer

Thread: UMF and Coachella

Default UMF and Coachella

It was brought up here by more than. That "early bird" Ultra deal for $249 looms larger than a Las Vegas teaser. This Monday, at 1PM with 10 seconds, I made the attempt to get that deal. Yeah, right ! Got invited to the privilege to pay $329 - up front. No reason to give these wretches full payment. I'll await the installment plan.

As for Coachella, that scene never interested me. Previous to this year, the first weekend was dedicated to old stick ups and rock and pop, while the 2nd weekend leaned on EDM. They F'd up this year and offered a mix on both weekends. Anyways ..... the pertinent news to us in Florida is that Coachella is expanding to guess where ?

It sounds a bit queer, but how does Coachella Orlando sound to you ? I read a bit on two local sites today and since then, they have been taken down. It was advertised for Summer 2017 in " nearby Orlando." I'm thinking a cattle rancher is going to rotate his herd elsewhere and make space available. I can't verify it, but a friend from CA texted me and he expects room and board next Summer, so this is floating around. If true, they'll definitely keep the current format and I'll probably pass.

Default Re: UMF and Coachella asides ....

They do EDC in Orlando and it's not bad. Though Coachella is a place, so it would be tough to have it somewhere other than, well, Coachella.

I'm headed to the Hangout Festival in Gulf Shores this weekend. I think it's the best festival in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    They do EDC in Orlando and it's not bad. Though Coachella is a place, so it would be tough to have it somewhere other than, well, Coachella.

I'm headed to the Hangout Festival in Gulf Shores this weekend. I think it's the best festival in the country.

I heard it's going to be called Coachella Orlando

Have fun in Gulf Shores. This past weekend I watched USC Woman's Beach Volleyball beat FSU for tile #101. We got #102 right after in Water Polo. Still a few behind fUCLA for most NCAA titles. The beach looked awesome there in Gulf Shores. Is this festival on the beach ?

I saw the line-up. Looks pretty good. I'm still deciding on Sunset Music Festival in Tampa . If I go, probably just for one day.

How was it ?

I was on the fence about Sunset Music Festival, but got order just now before sales were finalized. The clincher was they at the end allowed one day tickets. So I'm going this Saturday. Was ready to pluck the two day price and just hit one day ...so I saved a bit. Mapping out my stage strategy and looks like last three acts on main stage are solid. Only conflict is REZZ over Pierce Fulton at a lesser stage and a 90F Tampa.

Let me know how Sunset is. I've heard it skews VERY young.

Hangout was great. It's right there on the beach and as much about spending a weekend on the sand as it is the music. Panic at the Disco and Grimes were probably my top 2. Heard the Weeknd was awesome. Lenny Kravitz was a total diva, no love for that guy. It's really a festival you go to for the entire thing, since Gulf Shores is pretty tiny. But it's a great time.

Let me know how Sunset is. I've heard it skews VERY young.

Hangout was great. It's right there on the beach and as much about spending a weekend on the sand as it is the music. Panic at the Disco and Grimes were probably my top 2. Heard the Weeknd was awesome. Lenny Kravitz was a total diva, no love for that guy. It's really a festival you go to for the entire thing, since Gulf Shores is pretty tiny. But it's a great time.
    I youtubed past performances of SMF and looks like you're right. A bit of buyer's remorse is setting in ... + a storm is going to fall upon the event.

Going to make the best of it as I'm meeting friends around my age group. Arriving late and I only got REZZ, 3LAU, GALANTIS & HARDWELL ( only one stage change ) on my list then I'm done.

Matt: I'm giving SMF a passing grade. Enough that I'll want to do it again next year.

Not only do I enjoy the music, it's great interacting with happy festive people. Lot of peace and love. Unlike Ultra, I tried to take a snooze next to the only outlet I could find to charge my phone. Instead of getting pissed on ( remember that ? ) several scantily dress women tapped me on the shoulder to check if I was alright. Great well behaved crowd enjoying the kick-off of Summer. Got me phone charged enough till some gal yanked my phone because SMF wanted to force me to buy a phone charger for $15. The signal at Raymond James was worse than Ultra.

I only attended Saturday, and though I awoke from siesta at 4P, I caught REZZ at the halfway point of her set. She alone was worth going.

Unlike the feel at Ultra ( ..and I'm no authority, ) it had a more local feel to it. Most everyone I talked to lived in the central gulf area. That young skew you mentioned wasn't that noticeable.

This festival was a learning curve for me and a template for further festivals. The reality is my hang time has a low threshold. Went hard the last three acts and acted like a 23 year old. I'm still recovering ... so if I do Ultra next March I'm limiting myself to 3 hrs. a day.

In all, a great time I'm touting REZZ more than ever. Love that gal. The most legit EDM performer out there and she's only 20 or 21 y.o..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_PiO6o...blackfordoakes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGAujLko...blackfordoakes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCEj4iI...blackfordoakes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF_qY2uI...blackfordoakes
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 05-30-2016 at 10:11 AM.
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Default Re: UMF and Coachella

Thanks for the report, Blackford. Good to get the perspective of someone a little older since everyone I know who's gone is like 23-26. Sounds like a smaller, better EDM experience than Ultra was.

Thanks for the report, Blackford. Good to get the perspective of someone a little older since everyone I know who's gone is like 23-26. Sounds like a smaller, better EDM experience than Ultra was.
    The good thing was I didn't feel I was an anomaly because of my age. I feel 54 today more did I did Saturday. LOL ! Remember, I was too young for Woodstock so this is my compensation. More importantly, I'm not like most people of my generation that wants to bring back the 80's. And I'm one who was there present at the old Starwood Theatre when Van Halen and The Knack before they broke out along other acts. That was then. Today the science of sound production and electronics exponentially offers different experience and retraining of the inner ear. I appreciate that some EDM artists maintain some decorum in the classic tradition and I'm all in on that. A dude that throws a bucket on his head and thinks he's a Marshmallow is where I draw the line and bail.

Just like Miami a couple of years ago, the mayor of Tampa wants to eliminate SMF. Two youths met their fate and the local hospital got over taxed treating induced and hydrated ravers.

http://admin.aws.dancingastronaut.co...stival-return/

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Just like Miami a couple of years ago, the mayor of Tampa wants to eliminate SMF. Two youths met their fate and the local hospital got over taxed treating induced and hydrated ravers.

http://admin.aws.dancingastronaut.co...stival-return/
    So ridiculous. The irresponsible few shouldn't ruin it for the vast majority who know how to handle themselves. RIP Four Loko.
    Jess likes this.

So ridiculous. The irresponsible few shouldn't ruin it for the vast majority who know how to handle themselves. RIP Four Loko.
    I myself didn't witness amphetamine behavior. Would have easily scoped that out as I Window Pane'd during Disco era.

Get the correlation with the drug use. Sad that there now are too many EDM festivals which dilute the music and the quality of attendees. No reason to get fried if the music alone is intoxicating. Doubt Odysseus popped a tab when the irresistible "Sirens" tried to lure him in.