Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Rio Olympics Opening Ceremony

Default Rio Olympics Opening Ceremony

I'm a huge Olympics fan. So much so, I think it's time to get the mafia out of it a return the games, like the Elgin Marbles back to where it belongs - Athens.

Nonetheless, with that hope, I watched the opening ceremony. When I visited Rio, I confess I attended Plataforma which is a touristy thing. Last night was a technical version of Plataforma until it decided to go the political route and address Global Warming. I found it unique a queer as the messenger is a major culprit of Global Warming. Part of the intent on educating a universal audience was a factoid that the Brazilian Amazon land wise would be the 9th largest country based on land mass. What wasn't said is that 20 years ago it would have placed 14th. Aside Brazil, I visited the Amazon in Peru and Colombia, the former has not been a good custodian. With that out of the way: what did you think when Florida was featured in the presentation ? Miami got wiped off the map, along other coastal cities in FL.

There is no doubt the planet is getting warmer. The causes lead to political arguments which isn't the point. Brazil is the least qualified messenger as 80% of it's sewage gets drained at an athletic venue, body parts included.

I love the Olympics and hope they pull it off. Looking forward to Djokovic/ Del Porto Tennis match and 16 USC Trojans on schedule today. UF is being well represented with 31 athletes, so we have that local component to cheer on. USC again leads with college representation with 44. Gold Medal streak since 1912 not threatened in Rio. That said, though I mentioned tennis match, I hope these games recoup system wide to only include amateurs. Not W/NBA stars opting for a $13,000 per head weekly rate on a yacht far away from Olympic Village.

Default Re: Rio Olympics Opening Ceremony

Something I forgot to mention about the ceremony; after each countries delegation paraded through Maracana, unlike previous Olympics, the athletes were instructed to settle in their designated area...... in other words, not mingle. A true violation of the spirit of the games.

Witnessing ten events at the 84 games is probably my best sports experience ever. Jimmy Carter violated that pact and the manifest of the spirit of the games, and the Soviets responded in 84 and also boycotted. It was still awesome.

Despite what your party believes, global warming/climate change is not a hoax invented for the Chinese. Its real and Miami Beach is front and center.

There is ZERO debate among scientists that its real and man is ONE of the causes.
    Jess and jwisdom789 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Despite what your party believes, global warming/climate change is not a hoax invented for the Chinese. Its real and Miami Beach is front and center.

There is ZERO debate among scientists that its real and man is ONE of the causes.
    l

Let's also not forget bovine fatulation.

Marc - thanks for your tweet regarding April Ross. I saw the match replay at 3A. Seems like Jennings-Walsh made a wise choice selecting her new partner. I noted there is fantastic chemistry among the two. Aside that, not sure what you have against USC. It's not if you're a fUCLA bRuin. Anyways it's the Olympics and I cheered on the gal from UCLA in the women's volleyball match vs. Puerto Rico.

I'm not a UF fan myself but they have good representation in Rio, and I'll be rooting for them. That aside, USC athletes won a Gold and Silver yesterday, so the gold streak since 1912 continues. It's tough not to be the most decorated Olympian college when you own the Coliseum the 1932 Olympic pool alongside and hosted events on campus. There are 44 Trojans, most of any college competing in Rio. UF 3rd at 31.

Brazil warning the world about global warming is kinda like McDonald's dispensing nutrition advice. Typical Brazil, tell you what you want to hear to your face and then do the complete opposite behind your back. Worst relevant country in the world.

Enjoying the Olympics so far.

Marc, I did drop my goo in the middle of WVB match vs. NED. Thought we were going to lose until the Dutch caption twisted her ankle and then we came back to win in 5 sets.