Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Pool Read ( Miami Babylon )

One of my biggest regrets on this site is not attending the meet-up at Nikki Beach. The idea was it was a " book club meeting" Gerald Posner's Miami Babylon was to be addressed. Even though I knew I couldn't be there, I read it. Though the critics slammed it for plagerism, it was a worthwhile read. It pretty much covered when MB got lifted beyond what it was .... Jewish bretheren housed in art deco buildings waiting for their number to be called. Gus hooking me up at the Sherborne made me relive via screams of past ghost screams permeating through the walls during the gentrifaction of that era.

Weeks later, I hosted a tailgate at the venue they now call Hard Rock Stadium and I whipped out the hard cover version of the book. It was ignored andthus I continued basting of the ribs. Nobody read it. That said, it's still a worthy read if you want to understand the transformation of MB.

So that's the read I'm hauling to the pool. The adendum I'd like to add is Matt barreling through 23 kids for a foul ball. if it wasn't lost, during the taigate I threw out LA Dodger inscripted balls to kids in the parking lot.

Seeing Matt fight for a foul ball was epic as perhaps his engagement with the German mogul who transformed SoFi. I'm jumping straight to that decadent chapter.

Obviously, it's not like that anymore. #goodtimes

Default Re: Pool Read ( Miami Babylon )

I remember that meet up I do not recall it being for a book club though. Just brunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I remember that meet up I do not recall it being for a book club though. Just brunch.
    It went down .... Starting a book club

Anyways, hitting the pool and re-reading selected chapters.

Aww what a fun thread. #tbt

Those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Those were the days
    Was it you that went on a bike ride with that German that transformed SoFi back in the day ?

Those were the days and I absolutely wish I was around for part of those chapters in the book.
    Last edited by Blackford Oakes; 09-16-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackford Oakes View Post
    Was it you that went on a bike ride with that German that transformed SoFi back in the day ?
    Thomas Kramer you mean? Built SoFi with stolen money. He's broke and has to pay it all back, but at least SoFi is the nicest part of Miami Beach now, instead of the worst like in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    Thomas Kramer you mean? Built SoFi with stolen money. He's broke and has to pay it all back, but at least SoFi is the nicest part of Miami Beach now, instead of the worst like in the 90s.
    That name rings a bell. He's broke ? I'm sure that doesn't matter in Miami and he probably lives on Hibiscus Island.

i found the link .... and fk'n Meltzer ! SOB got everything covered. Awesome !

http://www.miamibeach411.com/news/thomas-kramer

The article is dated and suggested trouble. That usually means Carte Blanche in Miami but maybe Matt can give us Krammer's current status.

He, Tara Soloman and maybe one or two are the only true MB pioneers in my book. All others snooze me.

Yeah Kramer got run out of the country a few year ago. Deleted all his social media too, and I have some great stories about him I'll share when it doesn't involve typing the whole thing. Suffice to say. the guy stole a lot of money from a lot of people and nobody's heard much out of him in a while. That said, yes, you can thank him (and the people he ripped off) for much of what SoFi is today.