Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Matt Meltzer
  • 2 Post By Marc Middleton

Thread: Obesity has absolutely zero excuses in tropical paradise!

New User

Exclamation Obesity has absolutely zero excuses in tropical paradise!

Since moving to Florida, I have seen too many obese people and I am absolutely disappointed! South Florida's tropical climate is perfect all 12 months a year for bicycle riding, swimming, roller skating, jogging, and lots of other things. It is also perfect for growing bananas, coconuts, pineapples, oranges, grapefruits, broccoli, lettuce, basil, and lots of other healthy fruits and vegetables. All of which can easily be found right at any South Florida Home Depot or Lowes store.

I you are a visitor from up north, your obesity may be excused. But if you are a year round permanent resident of Miami, or really anywhere in the State of Florida especially south of Highway 70, you have absolutely no excuse at all whatsoever of being overweight or obese! And that especially goes for permanent, year round residents of such cities including but not limited to Miami, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie, Kendall, Coconut Grove, Homestead, Key Largo, Islamorada, Marathon Key, Big Pine Key, Cudjoe Key, Key West, Marco Island, Naples, Bonita Springs, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, Sanibel Island, Captiva Island, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, and Sarasota. Anyone who relocates especially to one of those cities who is overweight or obese needs to change their lifestyles immediately! Get on that bicycle! Go jogging! Go to the beach! Go swimming! Plant some fruit trees in your yard! Lay off those bratwursts, lay off the sausage, lay off all that unhealthy fat and grease! Mix healthier fruits, vegetables, olive oil, oatmeal, and such into your diets! Lose that weight!
    Last edited by Tommy Vercetti1; 09-27-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Default Re: Obesity has absolutely zero excuses in tropical paradise!

I don't see a lot of obese people around here. Not like when you get up into the South, or the midwest. Or at Disney. Traveling around the US I've noticed we're definitely a lot more fit than other places. But then again you gotta remember some people have to work 2-3 jobs to get by, and eat shit food because they don't have time. So it's not as possible for everyone as it is you or me.

And what Home Depot are you finding that sells broccoli??
    Jess likes this.

Florida (the entire state, not just Miami) is ranked 27th for obesity. Not too bad..

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120...ngs-no-winners

I hardly see ANY obese people here. Like Matt says, you don't see any 'My 600b life' stars from Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti1 View Post
    Since moving to Florida, I have seen too many obese people and I am absolutely disappointed! South Florida's tropical climate is perfect all 12 months a year for bicycle riding, swimming, roller skating, jogging, and lots of other things. It is also perfect for growing bananas, coconuts, pineapples, oranges, grapefruits, broccoli, lettuce, basil, and lots of other healthy fruits and vegetables. All of which can easily be found right at any South Florida Home Depot or Lowes store.
    Most of the obese people in Miami are those that spend all their time listening to rap music. It makes you obese because all you want to do is drink and party & live an unhealthy lifestyle.
    Matt Meltzer and Martin F like this.

I'm a year-round resident 20 lbs overweight. Some people like to induldge. I happen to like suds.

Anyways, I'm loafing at gate 23 at MCO waiting to board a bird that's going to take me to a more tropical place than Miami. I biked 15 miles earlier this morning and I'm gping to partake on some mountain trails, including Volcan Turrialba that exploded last week. That's not going to stop me from eating a pile of Chicharones and rinsing it with Cervesa Imperial.

Just the other day I mentioned I lost 10 lbs the last two weeks. Hopefully I weigh the same after five days and resume my weight loss regimen. The planned hikes am sure will burn 1.5K calories each.

In general, i don't see too many obese people in Miami. The further west you go, diets change to native country habits. White men don't dig pits to roast a pig but it's very common in Miami. Why do you think Latinas have a cushion ?

I try to buy into the gepgraphical arguement as the "winter coat" theory. Not so sure and maybe that's whay you're inferring with warm weather active life style - that helps. A lot has to do with culture and local offerings. One thing I can say as a native Californian, noboby forced Alfalfa down my throat.

New User

Obesity is insane in Lee, Collier, and Charlotte counties! Bars, nightclubs, the beach, concerts, strolling through downtown, strolling through Edison Mall and shopping centers, and even at most churches, I've seen women that are easily in excess of 300 and even 400 pounds! Even during June, July, August, and September when I can guarantee no less than 98 percent of the people here are permanent, year round locals.

Many times, I even pipe dream of putting through weight loss regimes. Serving them fruits and vegetables (coconuts, oranges, fresh bananas, broccoli, lettuce, olive oil, and such) and putting them through exercise starting with swimming, either at the beach or at any swimming pool/aquatic center nearby.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    I don't see a lot of obese people around here. Not like when you get up into the South, or the midwest. Or at Disney. Traveling around the US I've noticed we're definitely a lot more fit than other places. But then again you gotta remember some people have to work 2-3 jobs to get by, and eat shit food because they don't have time. So it's not as possible for everyone as it is you or me.

And what Home Depot are you finding that sells broccoli??
    In South Florida's tropical climate, you can plant and grow a whole lot of healthy fruits and vegetables in your backyard. You can plant and grow bananas in your yard. You can plant and grow coconuts in your yard. You can plant and grow oranges, grapefruit, and pineapples in your yard. All very healthy. And picking them off the tree and eating them, you'll get them fresher than at even the most expensive grocery store. And you don't have to pay a single penny for the fruits.

Al Home Depots sell at least lettuce, basil, tomatoes, and often broccoli, and of course the ones here in Florida also sell tropical fruit trees.

Senior Member FredTheCatTravels's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Vercetti1 View Post

Al Home Depots sell at least lettuce, basil, tomatoes, and often broccoli, and of course the ones here in Florida also sell tropical fruit trees.
    Home Depot sells produce?

I see a lot of obese people in Broward. They always seem to be cruise passengers.