Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Little Havana

Default Re: Little Havana

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    You also don't live in Miami.....so there's that...
    When I'm there I am ... just like Al Capone and Shaquile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Miami is nothing like the rest of Florida. In fact most Floridians you meet refuse to come to Miami or have never been. We are an entirely different world down here.
    Living " mainly" in Central Florida, I come across that mindset alot. If you're a travel agent, I assume you have to qualify the consumer if they state they want to go to Miami. I'm slowly comming around and liking it more, but when people back west tell me they want to come down to Miami, I'm going to say more than half would like it and I give the others alternatives. On the other hand, when a Floridian mentions to me they're going to Venice Beach, I'll say .... " HELL NO ! - DON"T GO !"

MATT: Aside the brief shot of St. Pete, that ad was all Miami. The rest of the state got the shaft on that one unless it was one of a series off ads. Orlando get's 5x the visitors Miami does and it also would have been inappropiate to focus on amusement parks and hotels.
    When that ad empasized hotels, it was an instant failure. Florida is an easy sell because we have the weather market pretty much cornered. Everyone knows where the only state with two coastlines and miles of excellent beaches. The ad would have been more effective introducing the consumer to activities that are apparently not well known.

Using Pit Bull is probably as alienating as the Anita Bryant ads selling Florida orange juice I saw as I kid 2200 miles away.

In a way, this discussion and ad has completed a circle. We're not growing because all people think about when imagingining Miami are beaches and Calle Ocho. That's something I wouldnt want to hang a hat on.

"We" need to grow. Marc's last post gave hints that changes are coming about ... and I'm encouraged. At the same time I get scoffed at, or I don't live here, like I don't have a right to voice a concern or opinion. I don't even have to opine. Miami is probably the most unafordable cities in the country. Few good jobs and development continues grow verticaly for international consumers and not Miamians.

It's just my opinion that Little Havana is viewed as a sacred cow and untouchable. That's valuable land that currently is a dump. Too perfect a location to let it exist in it's current form. Why should a city focus on history instead of focusing in the future ?

I got a sense of hope on my recent visit to LA. On the NW corner of Western and Hollywood Blvd, there was a place that has prepared some type of food for 40 years. I lived 4 blocks N where Western Ave rises 38 degrees and turns into Los Feliz Blvd and continues east. So I patronized this establishment a few times a week, after that six block area became Thai Town, including the location I'm mentioning. One day I asked the propietor why the giant plater Hot Dog on his roof still exists. The city forbade him to remove it because of it's historical value. Ten days ago, I rode by and that structure has been demolished and it's now a Petco.

Nothing is sacred in the pursuit of progress. Miami is not there yet. Until then, if I run out of Faboluso or Lysol ( what a metaphor) Sedano's is still there - for awhile.

RAZE IT !

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
    You also don't live in Miami.....so there's that...
    I'm sure there is moral this snap.

You can call it a luxury, but I choose not to "live" in Miami ~ eight days a month. If that inhibits me from knowing the essentials of Miami,,, and more, I give you the keys to the (305). I've enoyed my moments there for almost three decades and I'll continue to do so. You live there. That makes you a bad arse in some sinew of your brain. Congrats !!! You're a " made" man. An Untouchable. LOL !

I hear this criticism often, even from Jess. The funny thing is I got a skiff parked at a Key Biscayne marina and a decent dwelling close by , and I get this nonsense from transplants like myself, left and right. Never from a bonifide Miamian .... #onlyinmiami but it really doesn't matter. Miami is a dummy down situation for me just love Sea Oats. It's a simple elemtary solution. It's not that complicated as some portend here. It's a continuation for the most part of 3rd World extention including the oligarch under different fairer terms. Miami is 70% Hispanic It's Managua with Russians.

There is special place in my heart for Miami. For the majority, it's largely a weigh station for better opportunities inland. Some transplants call home.,,, then others get bold and get territorial I say I don't acknowledge I live here based on their conceptions, Luckily for me, I'm not grouded and have air under my wings in search for an isthmus. When I'm in Miami, I'm there. When I'm not, there's a reason and better motive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12