Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: No truer Miamians like Maria and Carlos

Default No truer Miamians like Maria and Carlos

As a a participant in this foroum for three + years, I have become reserved about all that is Miami. In fact, I share that same misanthrophic vibe about the city as our beloved Matt Meltzer. Today, I have more reason to be be pessimistic about the (305). It's been over a month,and neither Maria or Carlos has been on this site since Februrary 20th. Murmurs tell me that they are no longer associated with MB411. To make it clear, I have not had conversations with either - though we will always be friends. That's the taste I'm getting from other SM and the right side of my brain. I have no qualms breaching this subject. Gus and Michelle are wonderfull people. I especially appreciated the manner, in the monetary sense, Gus handled two meet-ups that I suggested. Always felt welcomed at their home and always had a good time in their company. I consider the lovely couple my friends. If Maria and Carlos are no longer part of of MB411, we at least deserve an explanation. It's the practical business thing to do. Because of this site, I'm glad I have befriended Maria and Carlos. Outside the scope of this site, me have developed a friendship. I'm sure I'm not the lonely one. That will always continue....... As a believer of: ONLY NATIVES REALLY KNOW, I truly believe the site has lost it's soul. We lost are only natives - Transplants rule -
    rk likes this.

Preferred Member

Default Re: No truer Miamians like Marira and Carlos

Loved all the stories Carlos and the others had contributed to Miamibeach411.. This site allways has great info on news ,travel, and many other events relating to Miami... Hope nothing else changes...

Blackford Oakes, thank you for hanging out on the site for so long; it's been great to get to know you online, and in person.

Thank you for your kind comments, moltobene!

There never is an easy way to announce something like this, and it's natural for people to wonder.

2012 started out as a challenging year for Miami Beach 411. We have a lot of employees to support, both in the office and on the road, and needed to make some tough decisions.

We offered Maria another position with the company, but she felt it was not suited for her. She promised to keep in touch on the forums so we hope to see her again soon.

Carlos has written some great stories for the site but was finding it difficult to keep up with the forums.

Gus and Carlos thought it would be best for him to take a break while we work on the new site layout.

The good news is, we hope to launch the new site this Wednesday, and get back on track.

Both Maria and Carlos have been a wonderful part of our team for many years, and they will always be considered friends.

rk

Sorry to hear that. Maria and Carlos are two of the pillars of this site, and I hope they come back very soon.

Good luck with the new site, hope to see it in action soon.

Rest assured Blackford Oaks there are still some natives left. I was born and raised in Miami and if you start craving some crazy Miami stories I can provide you with a few. They were great to have on the site, but I'm sure we can keep the Miami vibe up.
    Michelle and Mario like this.

Default Re: No truer Miamians like Maria and Carlos

There's plenty of native Miamians around (a few adopted Miamians too). Granted, there aren't many "old school" Miamians like Carlos (not that Carlos is old...)
    Gus likes this.

Michelle: Thanks for your explanation.. I only wish I wasn't so sarcastic, so others can chime with in their comments on how this native duo were so appreciated.

As you explained this was a " mutual" arrangement, I'm glad they didn't get the axe. That wouldn't have been a smart thing to do, though I trust how fine way you guys have run the site. Because they are my friends, I got their back. Remember how Carlos had mine at the baseball game ? That felt like family.

I haven't spoken to either, but I see them busy at other mediums. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they reappear.

Though I know there might be other natives about on this site, Maria and Carlos are they only one's I know that have lived through the city's transformation. I'll add that my daughter is a Miami native, but she'll only get the 411 by the likes of Maria and Carlos.

That's what I love/d about this site. I'm not into what jeans or shirt to wear at a clubs or where to watch a English Premier League game. That's is info a transplant figures out quickly on his own after two days. Not that I want to discount that information to those that ask, I was drawn by Maria's vast city history knowledge and writing skills, and Carlos's hard nose pizzazz journalism

Maybe my thread might not be the most apppropiate, but I hope everyone that has encountered Maria's or Carlos's contribution to this site lets them know.

Along with RK, I'd like to wish MB411 continued success.

We'll all miss Maria and Carlos on the forums! If you want to keep up with them you can follow them on facebook. Carlos recently posted a story about that disturbing shooting of the black teenager in the gated community. So sad!

I'm sure they'll continue to be around in one capacity or another. Like Blackford says, "They're family!"

Business decisions are always hard, I guess. I will say I've thoroughly enjoyed working with both Carlos and Maria, and getting to know them both a lot better. Especially in the past year or so.

Optimistically, I'm hoping to work with them again in the future. I think covering the events I've covered over the past year or two would not have been the same without Carlos. And the stories DEFINITELY wouldn't have been the same. So I'm going to break with my usual trend of doom and gloom and hope they'll be back at some point.

The forums are free, anyone can write on here if they choose. While Maria and Carlos may not be working with Gus anymore on stories, let's hope that they'll pop by every now and then to still write Key West stories and the latest in the news

To MB411 Team, I'm sorry to hear things have become challenging. Here is hoping to an awesome 2012! (Even though we are already a few months in.)

First of all, I want to thank Blackie for the kind words and huge vote of confidence. He's right, Carlos and I combined have probably more years here in Miami than other former or currently paid staff at Miami Beach 411. We're in our mid 40s, so we've been around a long time to see so many changes and keep up with the ever-evolving South Florida communities. Carlos and I were also the only paid professional multi-media journalists on this website who actively wrote in other outlets as well. (Exception of Bill Cooke.)

But things change ... the offer I was given would have had me working in a different aspect of the business than the forums, where I loved to be for over 6 years. The role I was offered just wasn't something I wanted to do. And also, it wasn't financially feasible for me. I have to take care of my physical and mental health as a freelance entrepreneur, making sure I don't exhaust myself, not to mention that I no longer work under certain limited fee structures, based on how far I've come in my career. So it is what it is ... Gus and Michelle have always been kind to me, they are friends and wonderful people. I am proud to have been part of this community, but the time came to move on.

Jess, I manage other projects and I simply can't come back here just to pop in and say hello after I was so deeply involved and helped so many members both here publicly and in private messages and often beyond the call of duty in person. Even after leaving the forums, I am still meeting with people. I still have people contacting me privately asking me if I am going to become a realtor and if they can get my advice. (At this point, I have no intention of becoming a realtor, by the way.) Either I am in this forum all the way or not at all. Also, I do not have a full-time job to fall back on. I have to hustle and I am professional content producer who cannot afford to get lose quantity over quality. I hope you understand.

Anyway, I am now doing some corporate blogging about Miami for a luxury real estate company who reached out to me before even knowing what was going on here. And I am also being hired to manage and/or train people in online communities. And as some of you may have heard, I won a grant to make short films.

I am also involved, on a volunteer basis, in some other neat projects that help our community for charitable and environmental causes. I am still 100% Miami born and raised and deeply involved in things I love about this town.

So work is interesting, but I do miss the forums.

I am sorry if I'm not here so much anymore, but I count ALL OF YOU as great friends and am extremely grateful for you being part of my life for nearly a decade. You know how to reach me if you follow my links and please, please reach me if you want to stay in touch. Again, it has been a wonderful run and I wish Miami Beach 411 continued success in its new redesign and regrouping as a travel center. If things change I hope to be back, but in the meantime, I've moving on, focusing on different aspects of my career and evolving my own place in the world as a travel writer.

With love to all,

Maria

Last edited by Maria de los Angeles; 03-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Blackford Oakes, rk and Perri like this.

Maria, I have a read a few of your articles for Sotheby's that you posted on facebook and they were wonderful!

Best luck, Maria! You and Carlos are definitely missed here.

Glenn and Janet

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Maria,

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

I hope you don't feel like we let you go. Michelle and I love you very much. When business started to slip, we couldn't think of just cutting you loose, so I asked you to help us with with public relations. I didn't put any guidelines on how much we expected you to work, so you had the opportunity to earn more working from home, without having to put in any extra hours, and inevitably the new position would have led you back to moderating the forum when business got back on track.

I was disappointed when you turned us down.

You are definitely missed and will always be our friend.

Gus
    rk and GandJ like this.

rk

Maria, thank you for stopping by and letting us know. Your participation will be keenly missed, from your knowledgeable posts about Miami history to your insight into current affairs, and the level way in which you steered many a flame war back on-topic. I wish you all luck with your new projects and hope you'll stop by at times and share your thoughts. No one will be happier than I.
    Last edited by rk; 03-30-2012 at 01:29 AM.
    Blackford Oakes, Christy and Perri like this.

Preferred Member

This forum doesn't feel the same without Maria and Carlos. I miss them!

I've been wanting to respond to this for a while but there is just so much to say that it's best left unsaid. Unless you want to take me out for beers and I'll tell you everything from my perspective.

All I have to say is that I completely disagree with Michelle's statement when she said, "Gus and Carlos thought it would be best for him to take a break while we work on the new site layout."

I had no choice in the matter.

And I also want to say that I completely agree with Blackford Oakes that there were no truer Miamians than Maria and I.

Nobody on this site will even come close as far as experience and contacts in this city. Maria and I were the Miami social media connection this site had. That's completely lost.

But it's all good. I've moved on.

Miami Beach 411 is behind me.

But that's not to say that we're not all still friends. And that includes Gus and Michelle.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for writing in and letting Michelle and I know that we're still friends. We want to stay friends with you.

Michelle was referring to your statement about feeling burned out, writing in the forum. Do you remember that was another reason we asked you to take a break? Our conversation took place around February 7. I told you it would take me about 4 or 5 weeks to complete the layout project. It ended up taking about 7 weeks. Sorry I didn't stay in closer communication, after I started running late. If you were uncertain about our relationship, I wish you would have called me before announcing on Twitter that you no longer work at Miami Beach 411. As your friend, it hurt me you said that. Professionally, I had a big list of projects that I wanted to work on with you.

I can't take you out for beers, right now, but I'd really appreciate hearing more of your perspective about what happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast