Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Report your bugs here about the new layout (V8)

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Default Report your bugs here about the new layout (V8)

Hey everybody,

If you find any bugs, typos, broken links, problems, or features you'd like to add to the site, please post them to this thread.

Here is my list of things to report.

Forum notes for Mike:

The Sub Menu

- Make all sub menu links bold for members and guests (?)

Miscellaneous notes

- Add weather info to the home page

- Add Recent blog post to home page. See me.

- Hardcode the new home page title, rather than having it pull the tile from the title tag. See me. (forum name should be: Miami Traveler's Helpline. the Title tag should read: Miami Traveler's Helpline Forum

- Remove the unnecessary buttons in the Advanced Post Editor window. We've done this before. See me to discuss what buttons to remove.

- Add white icons to the My Account drop down menu and the Quick Reply form

- Remove IM links below the member name in threads

- Add the missing icons for the 3 boxes in the right column (New Forum Post, Recent Likes, New Forum Thread).

- Change flags alt tags to English names (Spanish, German, Portuguese, Italian, French, Russian, Chinese.)

- Add the "Follow Miami Beach 411" box, with the FB, TW and Google buttons to the yellow Join box for guests. See me to discuss.

Alignment notes

- Main navigation bar breaks when you increase the text size. See me and my email to Atiosis I cc you on. I am also going to talk with Atiosis about removing the cityscape from going all the way across the screen. Miami Beach is an island, after all. The image should fade into the ocean.

- Formatting bug regarding the slider in the footer. *For now there is nothing that can be done to dismiss this, unfortuantely vBulletin did not like the larger rainbow top bar or the cityscape in the footer going all the way across the screen... this was the 4th revision of those two templates and CSS codes before launch and I could not for the life of me (4 tries already!) sort that 100%.

- Formatting bug regarding the centered display, getting truncated at left. This was also reported by Blackford Oaks in another thread, and Fabian has a related issue in the second page of this thread. *Please see above ^ however I will look into this more but for now I suggest trying a new browser because this is only happening for a few at the moment.

- Please confirm the "Post a New Thread" button is working. Fabian said the button would not open the page, after clicking the button. The first time I clicked, nothing happened for me, either, but the second time I click the button, the page opened and I was able to start this new thread. Similar bug also reported by Matt.

Completed:

- In the breadcrumb trail, change the "Forum" link to read "Traveler's Helpline

- Sorry, but will you please revert the note above? In the breadcrumb trail, change the "Traveler's Helpline" link back to read "Forum".

- Align the breadcrumb trail a little to the right. See the breadcrumb on the "Plan Your Trip" page as an example.

- Reduce the size of the breadcrumb trail links. See the breadcrumb on the "Plan Your Trip" page as an example.

- In the footer, add breadcrumb trail for guests per rk

- In the sub menu, to the right of the "Today's Topics link, add a link that reads "Traveler's Helpline".

- In the sub menu for guests, make it look like this: > Sign up Login Today's Topics Traveler's Helpline

- In the sub menu for members, make it look like this: > My Account Today's Topics Traveler's Helpline

- Move the sub menu links 2, or 3 spaces to the right. See the sub menu on the "Plan Your Trip" page as an example

- Fix the sub menu alignment bug, associated with the envelope icon.

- In the sub menu, add a small black arrow pointing down, to the right of the "My Account" link.

- Fix Search button

- On the forum home page, in the right column, move the "Follow Miami Beach 411" box, below the "New Forum Threads" box (Disregard this note for now.)

- Remove Social Member links in Member Profile Basic Information. See my profile:http://forums.miamibeach411.com/memb...mple=1#aboutme

- Remove Social Media fields in the Edit Member profile options.

- On the forum homepage, in the right column at the top of the page, revise the Twitter and Facebook button order. List the FB button first. See the main homepage placement for an example.

- Adding Today's Topics link in the sub menu

- Add bigger comment box.

- Remove the RSS icons from the home page

- How do we link the "What's New/Today's Post" link on the home page. What is the URL?

- Like the vB site does, on the Forum homepage, add text that reads: Miami Beach 411 Traveler's Helpline: Welcome to the Miami Beach 411 community forum

---

- On the Homepage, move the "Last Post" column to the left, allowing space for the title of the last post to fit on one line.

- On the hompage, remove the Facebook box in the Footer.

- On the homepage, in the right column, list 4 recent likes Disregard this note

- On the homepage, in the right column, list 3 new threads

- Disregard my previous to reduce the size of the bread crumb trail links. With there being no "Forum" link in the main navigation, it is good to keep the breadcrumb trail links the size they are now.

---

- Add the 411 icon to the left-side of the "Like" link.

- Remove the "Bookmarks" box in the footer

- Add Admin and Moderate links in the footer, next to the style drop down menu, or wherever you think is the best place for the links. (The forum footer links at vB.com looks very nice.)

---

Please let us know if you find any problems with the new layout pages.

Thanks,

Gus

Default Re: Report your bugs here about the new layout

Forum notes:
    The quick reply box got really small. I don't mind it this way, just pointing it out.

Home page: the twitter amount is still sticking out further on the right hand side Gus, looks weird.

Am still working on travelers this morning, will let you know if I find more.

Travel Tips, the link to Staying Safe in Miami is called Staying Safe in your Hotel on the tips homepage. So the article has 2 different titles.

Michael Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Forum notes:
    The quick reply box got really small. I don't mind it this way, just pointing it out.

Home page: the twitter amount is still sticking out further on the right hand side Gus, looks weird.

Am still working on travelers this morning, will let you know if I find more.
    Ok working on a few things listed atm.

- Added in the Follow us on the forum like you see on the home page (minus the weather snippet but that is pending) Jess will you check to see if it's also overlapping for you like it is on the home page? For me both are ok and if so can you take a quick screenshot and post?
    - Welcome Message is now showing on forum as requested.
    - Corrected footer background on forumhome page (background image was missing, uploaded and all sorted).
    - RSS Icons removed from home page.
    -- Q) How do we link the "What's New/Today's Post" link on the home page. What is the URL?
    -- A) That is in your My Account drop-down .

More to come, I'll be back!

I can't post the screen shot, its too big apparently? But yes, it is sticking out like on the home page.

Any idea how to post a smaller screen shot? Then I can do so for you.

Gus

Jess, please email me a screenshot. The Twitter button looks OK to me.

Mike, on the main home page, we have a link to "Today's Topics" in the forum. What URL do we use for the link?

Also, for members and guests, can you add a "What's New" link in the forum sub menu, to the right of the other links?

Emailed it over

Smileys are the old smileys! Just FYI.... not really at the top of the list right now...

rk

While not a bug possibly, the biggest problem I have noticed (other than not being able to login yesterday) is the missing button in the forum at upper-right that used to say "Today's Topics" or similar and showed all the new posts or (if you were not logged in) all the posts for the last 24 hours or so. Now I notice from Mike's post that something similar is in the My Account drop-down list, but that is not adequate. That Today's Topics was a button I used more than any other single button at this site, and much of the time I don't spend the extra 30 seconds to login, esp so on small screen devices. Removing that button is a giant step backwards in user-friendliness for regular forum members. Please bring it back.

The Twitter format error that Jess reported I don't see on IE9 and Win7 64-bit.
    I did like the larger Reply box a bit better.

Gus

Jess, what version of FF are you running?

Thanks for sending the screen shot. How cute, MB411 has a little Twitter tail...

Name:  Twitter-tail.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  29.1 KB

The Twitter button looks OK to me in Chrome and FF. The button does not overlap, like it does in your screen shot.

Does anyone else see Jess's Twitter bug, with the overlapping Twitter bubble?

Jess, please send me a screen shot of the smaller Quick Reply box that you and rk mentioned.

The Quick Reply box looks about the same size as before, for me.

rk

Here's a formatting bug. It shows on the forum page, not on the home page. Notice the unnecessary horizontal scroll bar. This seems harmless, but I think is the cause of the the bigger problem which I will illustrate in the next post.

Name:  MB411-Bug1-pic01.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  113.0 KB

How do I find out what version I am running on FF?

Shall we move this thread to the Admin forum Gus?

rk

OK, here's the bigger formatting error related to the above, most likely. In this example, I clicked on the link under Blackford's post in the "New Forum Posts" in the green section at right of the forum page. To see this error you have to use IE (not FF) and click on one of the links in the New Forum Posts" section. It does not happen if you click on links in the left column.

The problem is that the display ism no longer centered. This is more of a nuisance on big screen I am writing this on, but on a smaller screen the display moves partially off the screen and gets truncated at left.

Name:  MB411-Bug1-pic02.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  81.3 KB

rk

Here's an example of the smaller reply box:

It's usable, but used to be a bit taller in the old format.

Name:  MB411-Bug1-pic03.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  28.7 KB
    Michael Miller likes this.

Preferred Member

Cant reply either ... This is the only box I can reply to.. Thought it might be cause I'm on a MAC,but does on the PC also... When click on reply it does nothing...

Atleast I can loggin now..

rk, teach me to do those small screen shots and upload them!!! I just print screen, ctrl V and email Gus. You are so good at this with your arrows etc!

Gus

Jess, at the top of the browser, go to > Help > About Firefox.

How to make a screen shot is an excellent question. Will you split it off to a separate thread?

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    rk, teach me to do those small screen shots and upload them!!! I just print screen, ctrl V and email Gus. You are so good at this with your arrows etc!
    OK, here's how I get those small screen shots:

(1) Get a computer with a really small screen.
    (2)...

OK, never mind, just kidding. Here's what I do:

(1) Capture screen as you have been doing
    (2) Launch a program like Paint, PhotoPaint, Photoshop etc
    (3) Paste screen screen capture into that program
    (4) Shrink it, add arrows or comments etc
    (5) Save it as a file in a Temp Folder
    (6) Attach it to your next post

So it really boils down to whether you have a favorite Paint program on your computer. If you have none, you can always use MS Paint that comes with every PC. If you let me know the program name I can send more details. Thanks.

Gus

rk, thanks for the screen shot. Mike can make the Quick Reply box taller. =)

I see the formatting issue you describe - Mike will look into it. During the switch, he also updated to the most recent version of vB, and he mentioned that we'd have iron out the kinks.

Mike and Atiosis are building two separate layouts, with different content management systems, and two CSS, and I'm impressed everything is working so well.

We still have some old pages and missing layouts to change. Atiosis and I are working tomorrow night, and getting as many notes as possible will help a lot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast