Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Drudge Report links Magnotta's MB411 post

Default Re: Drudge Report links Magnotta's MB411 post

It's Miami, Doug. I don't even think you're joking.
    Doug likes this.

Drudge again linked a piece on how Magnotta might be a suspect of a Miami crime. The article included a quote Magnotta wrlote on this site:

Internet postings suggest he lived in Miami in 2010

Several online postings declared that a person named Luka Magnotta was living in Miami in August 2010.
    "Just bought myself a new Lotus (sports car) and im enjoying myself in Miami, my new home," the poster, named luka-magnotta, said at the time on a website for car enthusiasts.
    "What do you guys think of my new wheels?... Its hot huh."
    The post was accompanied by a photo of Magnotta sitting in a Lotus. There were also boasts about using the car to sweet-talk a female police officer into reducing a ticket, and about getting frequent sexual attention thanks to the vehicle.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...tta-miami.html

Default Luka Magnotta's Miami Connections

Luka Magnotta, the Canadian accused of murdering and dismembering a Chinese student while videotaping it last month -- and then mailing out the body parts before fleeing to Europe -- apparently did have some Miami connections - an online news article published on thestar.com reveals that police in Miami are currently re-examining some cold cases to see if he could've been involved:
    Miami, where Magnotta is thought to have spent some time in recent years, is now one of several jurisdictions reading up on the unique circumstances around Lin’s death — which has shocked people around the world.
    We here at miamibeach411.com were shocked to see he had posted on our forum back in 2010, announcing that he had just moved to Miami and wanted friends to hang out with. However, despite his comments, his IP address revealed that he was actually posting from Toronto, Ontario at the time.

Was his recent victim his first kill? Or had he been at it for a while? Miami police hope to be able to give us that answer soon:

Sgt. Confessor Gonzalez plans to contact Montreal police to explore possible links between Magnotta and the mysterious, 2009 death and dismemberment of Guatemalan national Omar Laparra.

He said he will also take a look at Magnotta’s movements back and forth across the U.S.-Canada border.
    “I looked up the story — rather interesting,” Gonzalez told The Canadian Press in a phone interview.
    “If Mr. Rocco was in Miami at the time of my murder then yeah, I’ll be definitely looking at him.”
    Miami, where Magnotta is thought to have spent some time in recent years, is now one of several jurisdictions reading up on the unique circumstances around Lin’s death — which has shocked people around the world.
    Police forces in Los Angeles and Gatineau, Que., have also indicated that they’re inspecting Magnotta’s recent activity because both jurisdictions have unsolved homicide cases involving corpse mutilation.
    Miami police say Laparra, 21, vanished after leaving a bar in Miami’s Little Havana neighbourhood early in the morning on May 31, 2009. He was never seen alive again.
    Over the following several days, Gonzalez said Laparra’s remains were found stuffed in four plastic bags floating in waterways around the southern part of the city.

“We were never able to put it together,” he said about the case, which was described by U.S. TV show America’s Most Wanted.

I'm really regretting none of us took him up on an offer for a ride.

I'm really regretting none of us took him up on an offer for a ride.
    We may not have lived to tell about it...I like to think we are all smarter than that

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

We removed the filter -The 2 LRM threads are back open:

Strong Self Esteem - Luka Magnotta 2010
    Miami Florida 2010 - Luka Magnotta

If you feel the site slow down, or you can't access the site, please email me right away.

Gus

Doug,

Tim Elfrink at Miami New Times just posted a good summary of events, and they're quoting you in the article. Good job moderating the thread and tracking down the locaion of the ip.

Like Doug, I also question if LRM was really in Miami at the time he posted at Miami Beach 411. However, I found a picture on his mom's MySpace that looks like it may have been taken in Miami.

Name:  anna-yourkin-at-the-beach.jpg
Views: 5904
Size:  35.1 KB

Her photo album also has pictures of them at Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas, so they very well may have stopped in Miami along the way. If so, their conversation could have gone something like this...

"Mom, don't wait up for me tonight. I'm taking that 411 bus tour of Little Havana. Hey, where did you put my plastic bags?"
    Doug and rk like this.

Wow, I remember hearing about Omar Laparra and ho they found only parts of his body. They believe he went to a club that's on SW 8th Street, between 5th and 10th Avenue,. As far as I know, that's not a gay club, but who knows.

On the New Times page, someone wrote:

"He said he was in Miami... What a coincidence. And you wanna rule him out by an IP address? A guy like that obviously uses a proxy server to hide his tracks, so that's not good enough. And who is it that knows 'every corner' of Miami?"

Is that possible? Can someone use a proxy server?

Yeah, I used to do it all the time to get Marlins games on MLB.TV. Since it's blacked out to local IP addresses. Not hard to hide your location at all. This is how people in China get on Facebook.

Anyone recognize that hotel in the pic Gus posted? That water doesn't look like Miami to me, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    Yeah, I used to do it all the time to get Marlins games on MLB.TV. Since it's blacked out to local IP addresses. Not hard to hide your location at all. This is how people in China get on Facebook.

Anyone recognize that hotel in the pic Gus posted? That water doesn't look like Miami to me, but who knows.
    Matt: Do you also get the Rays' games blacked out from Miami ? From CFL, I'm blocked from both FL teams and the only IP I can proxy to is my wife's workplace network.

rk

Interesting photo. If it's the east coast it would be an evening picture, probably north of Lauderdale. If morning then the Gulf coast. That pool is very distinctive, should be possible to identify.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    On the New Times page, someone wrote:

"He said he was in Miami... What a coincidence. And you wanna rule him out by an IP address? A guy like that obviously uses a proxy server to hide his tracks, so that's not good enough. And who is it that knows 'every corner' of Miami?"

Is that possible? Can someone use a proxy server?
    Yes, very possible, and ridiculously easy. Just do a web search on terms like proxy server, anonymous proxy, anonymizer etc.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Interesting photo. If it's the east coast it would be an evening picture, probably north of Lauderdale. If morning then the Gulf coast. That pool is very distinctive, should be possible to identify.
    Good observation about the photo. After further examination, the sun looks like it is rising more from the north, which would mean the photograph was not taken in Miami Beach. Oceanfront hotels on Miami Beach face east. The pool should be in direct sunlight, rather than in the shade.

It's fun talking like a crime scene Investigator on CSI Miami.

Should we consider the "Luka Magnotta in Miami" case closed?

I never tried getting the Rays games, so I'm not sure. I'd guess not but it depends on MLB's definition of "Market."

Gus

rk, can you please answer a related question about ip addresses? When two people share a public WiFi connection, does that mean they are using the same ip?

Today, I found some comments posted by different people coming from the same ip address. When I questioned them about this, one of the claimed to being using a shared public Wifi connection. If that is the case, would their ip address be the same, even if they were posting from different locations?
    Jess likes this.

rk

Gus, the short answer to your question is Yes, when people are connecting via wifi using the same access point, they will appear to the outside world as having the same IP address. This is even true if they are connected at the same instant. Wireless access points use something called NAT (Network Address Translation) to share one IP address among all people connected. The number of people sharing an IP can be in the hundreds for a busy access point, and in the tens of thousands over time. This is one of the reasons I often ask the moderators here to never ban an IP address.

The subject of how IP addresses are assigned is somewhat complex, esp now that we have many more devices than possible IP addresses (at least IPv4 addresses). While I don't have exact figures, I think easily well over half of all IP addresses in use are shared or dynamic in one way or another, i.e. they are either shared by many devices (people), or they change from time to time.

If you want me to check a specific IP please send it by PM. In a few cases I can make a guess about it.

Gus

rk, you never cease to amaze me. Thank you for educating me on IP delivery. I know how expensive networking consulting can be. I will save up my support points with you for something more important.

The support points you have with Miami Beach 411 run deep. =)

rk

Gus, thanks very much for such generous remarks. Glad to help out. I learn a lot more here than any support points I can help out with!

rk, that was helpful! Thank you!

Although Gus, that coincidental IP in the comments is just too much of a stretch for me to believe they didn't know each other...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12