Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Do you like the new Twitter box?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Question Do you like the new Twitter box?

What does everyone think of the new Twitter box we added on the forum homepage?

There's a lot of cool stuff being shared on Twitter, and we thought the box was a good way for you to stay informed. Keep your eye on the box. Doug and I will be Tweeting interesting updates throughout the day.

If you got a Twitter account, please post your handle in this thread so we can follow what you're up to.

Default Re: Do you like the new Twitter box?

I really like it! I don't use twitter at all so this will help me stay more in touch

I like it. It's how I realized there was a storm brewing over Matt's story.

Oh and I just saw gluten free food trucks in the feed! That one was for me!

Gus

I am a little concerned with the placement of the Twitter box, being above the "New Posts" box.

I'm worried that the people who are not using the "Today's Topics" link in the sub menu will find it more difficult to see the new forum posts.

I agree. My other thought is that the goal of tweeting is to bring people in to the site, whereas a Twitter box will direct them away from the site, no?

Gus

Doug, thanks for letting me know how you feel. By us adding the box in a prominent place on the site, I'm going to need your help to keep the stream fresh with new content. I think you should post at least 2 more times a day. In addition to the 2 forum discussion that you're linking to. Perhaps 1 more Tweet about an upcoming event in the Calendar and 1 more Tweet to a old news story, or travel tip that is relevant to a current event taking place. Let's also train Dylan and Mario, and get him involved, as well.

When we first got on Twitter, bringing people to the site was our goal, but as things evolve, I feel it's important for people to know they can come to the forum and find other great things that are happening online. It will be a little more work for us, but I think people will appreciate it, and it will help enforce Miami Beach 411's position as a leader and the best place to go to find the most important and interesting local information.

I am open to the moving the Twitter box below the "New Posts" box, if rk thinks it's best everyone feels that is a better place for the Twitter box to go.

Perhaps that would be a good idea, but is there a risk in over-tweeting? Here is a different perspective: http://www.raakesh.com/avoid-over-tweeting

Gus

Yes, I agree. We can run the risk of over-Tweeting. This is why I refrain from posting what I ate for breakfast, checking in at the gym, posting cat pics, insiide jokes that don't make sense, and using it as a method to chat with other people. That being said, I did just use Twitter to ask Club Space a question about the free entry offer tonight, and got a reply back from them, which was neat.

I think if we keep our Tweets fun and relevant, we won't bug people with too much stuff.

And while we're on the subject, since you are responsible for Tweeting about the new articles at Miami Beach 411, I think you should mention each article twice, a day apart. You can use the same description. Since we are only publishing about 1 article a week, it's good to mention them twice, to get the word out for the people who missed it the first time around.

Sure, I'm pretty much doing that now, although with differing descriptions. I'm currently making one initial link to it, and post it again as a "weekend review".

rk

I'm OK with the tweet box, but vote for moving it down below the "new posts". Same for the weather panel.

One thing I noticed is that on slower links, the tweet box takes a long time to load, so you're sitting there with a blank panel. Moving it down may hide this problem as well.

I agree with rk. the Twitter box is a great idea, but I think it's more helpful in terms of layout to have recent forum posts and topics up top. That way people can more easily see what we're talking about on the site, if something is relevant to them. Even today, it took me a minute to find the "New topics" section and the scrolling down was kinda a pain. I can deal with it, but if I were a casual visitor it might dissuade me from looking at other info on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    I'm OK with the tweet box, but vote for moving it down below the "new posts". Same for the weather panel.

One thing I noticed is that on slower links, the tweet box takes a long time to load, so you're sitting there with a blank panel. Moving it down may hide this problem as well.
    Agreed. The tweeting takes a lot longer to load, and I get the blank panel.

Gus

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting, the Twitter box loads almost instantly for me. The only thing that lags a little is the Miami Beach 411 Facebook count badge that is at the top of the page.

We'll move the box tomorrow.

Gus

How does everyone feel about the weather information? Do you agree with, rk, and think the weather should be moved farther down the right column, as well?

Right now, the order goes like this:

- Weather Info
    - Twitter Box
    - New Likes
    - New Threads

In the right column, please tell me the order you think everything should go?

We members might find it preferable to move the box down, cause we are more interested in what's being ongoingly discussed on the forums.

but, practically speaking, for new readers who come to the site for the first time - especially if they're just looking for quick travel or visitor info - having the weather and twitter right up top might be better for that demographic, so they can get that quick info 'at-a-glance' ... which also might have an added benefit for the site as a whole, as it may be a good way to attract new members.

but in any case, for those of us who don't care about that info, it's easy enough to just close the whole box. I closed it, so all i see is New Posts, New Likes, and New Threads; just like before; that works better for me since i don't tweet and don't need the weather report.
    Last edited by Catt; 06-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    rk likes this.

Gus

Excellent feedback, Catt. You read my mind about the benefit for new visitors. I'm trying to keep the Tweets interesting and as on topic as possible, but Blackford Oakes is giving me a hard time. He is in California and keeps trying to bait me by mentioning my favorite Mexican restaurants and asking where to go to the beach.

Thank you so much for reminding us that we can collapse the boxes, by clicking the arrow!
    Catt likes this.

Catt you clever thing, I just did that and it's perfect!

Now everyone is happy
    Catt likes this.

I like having the weather visible! It's a nice touch.

Yeah it's like the used to do at the Panthers games, they'd post the weather from whatever city the visiting team was from,then the weather in Sunrise on a scoreboard between levels 3 and 4. Good for visitors to add to the sort of Miami "fantasy."
    Catt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast