Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default How to lower megapixels or MB so I can post photos

Sometimes when I try posting, it says-you've exceeded 660 pilexs by 2200. Sometimes it tells me I have too many MB...

For the pics I've already taken, how can I reduce their size so I can post?

Should I change the megapixel setting on my camera?? Assuming I can figure that out, what should I set it on?

Thanks!

Santana

Hey Sungal!

I think you just need to edit the picture in your computer and re-size the picture so it can be uploaded into the forum. Right click on the picture and choose edit, from there click Image - Sketch and Skew - and change the horizontal and vertical %.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi Sungal,

Here are instructions how to resize photos using MS Paint.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to send them to me, and I'll resize them for you.

Here are a couple online resources for resizing pictures.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

http://www.picnik.com/

I have not tried these, but they have been recommended to me.

Personally, I prefer to do it on my computer. One really good program is FastStone. Actually, FastStone has a number of good, free image tools. Find them (and TONS of other good free software) at Snapfiles

Ok, I'm trying to do it Gus's way with the MS Paint tool. My problem is when it says resize horizontal and vertical i don't know what to choose. They currently say 100% so I changed each to 60%- just a guess,(what's the correct percentage?) and I did save it...

I tried to post again and got the message that I'm over the pixel limit by the same amount as before. I guess taking photos with a higher megapixel count is good for enlarging and printing but not so great for posting on the web...

MS Paint is almost the hardest way you could do it. The percentage is based off the size of your original. If your original is 1000 pixels, and you want to get to 600, then it would be 60%. If your original is 4000 and you want to get to 850, then it would be 14%. I mean, too much math for me, but if you want to do it that way, take the target size and divide by the original size and multiply by 100, that will give you the percentage.

Santana

Ha!! Math involved? I didn't know that...I just enter in a percentage, usually starting with 50% and see where it goes from there. :lol:

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by sungal
    Ok, I'm trying to do it Gus's way with the MS Paint tool. My problem is when it says resize horizontal and vertical i don't know what to choose. They currently say 100% so I changed each to 60%- just a guess,(what's the correct percentage?) and I did save it...

I tried to post again and got the message that I'm over the pixel limit by the same amount as before. I guess taking photos with a higher megapixel count is good for enlarging and printing but not so great for posting on the web...
    To find out how big your original image is, right click and chose "Properties."

Rahter than lower the megapixels by percentage, can you input the pixel size?

The maximum width for forum images is 600 pixels.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Here are a couple online resources for resizing pictures.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

http://www.picnik.com/

I have not tried these, but they have been recommended to me.

Personally, I prefer to do it on my computer. One really good program is FastStone. Actually, FastStone has a number of good, free image tools. Find them (and TONS of other good free software) at Snapfiles
    Thanks, coach.

Flickr also has some photo editing software that's easy to use.

Oh good one, Gus, I always forget about that one. Picasa, too. Both Flickr and Picasa scare me though, due to their hardcore terms of service.

Oh, and how about this for funny. Just the other day, of of the 10 people I follow on Twitter posted a link to "The Five Best Image Editing Tool". Dunno about "best", but they are probably good, and a few are free.

Thanks for the info. Visited the shrinkpicture site and issue resolved. I just joined yesterday and ran into the picture load issue.

If you have a photobucket account, the site lets you resize pictures for smaller pixel size.

Gus, why not install gallery software and problem solved?

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Gus, why not install gallery software and problem solved?
    Our CMS (Expression Engine) has a photo gallery module, but no image editing software that is compatible with the Forum.

Do you know of any 3rd party software that would work?

When I add photos to the forum, I take whatever my camera spits out and reduce it in paint to 18%. No complex mathematical equations, nada. And it always works. However, it is a bit time consuming to have to go through the pictures one by one and reduce them. Do these reducing sites do bulk reductions...that consistently work?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    When I add photos to the forum, I take whatever my camera spits out and reduce it in paint to 18%. No complex mathematical equations, nada. And it always works. However, it is a bit time consuming to have to go through the pictures one by one and reduce them. Do these reducing sites do bulk reductions...that consistently work?
    At shrinkpicture.com it takes two seconds. Just download and in my case, checked the bullet on 50%.

Thanks! I'll try them out.