Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Alright, we removed the ad table that was following the first post... you might think ads would perform well in that spot, especially since this is where the pros recommend, but not at Miami Beach 411. In general, the ads performed about 75% less than the previous layout.
    How are they doing now Gus since you moved them?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Sorry for the delayed reply. I wanted to give the ads in the footer some time to mature.

What we learned is, ads in the footer perform about 33% less than the ads did when they came after the first post. So, this means the revenue is less when you place ads at the bottom of the page, compared to how they perform when they are at the top.

Does this mean we are going back to the original layout? No. rk reminded me what Miami Beach 411's focus is about.

Thanks, rk. I appreciate everything you said.

Coach, this weekend, I hope to address your suggestions about what's going on in the footer, below the search box. I guess we'll have to wait until the next get-together to discuss who was consulting me.

(Side note: The AdSense blog has some tips for forums and a heatmap you might find interesting.)

So if they are working even less there, can you have them at the top?

Gus

Yes, but I am going to take rk's advice and focus on user experience, rather than chasing a few extra $$.

Website owners pay big bucks to get this kind of straightforward advice:

Quote Originally Posted by rk
    (1) There is no longer a perceptible delay in page loading. The (small) delay in loading the Ad panel is still there, but because the top part of the screen loads first, you don't immediately notice that the lower panel has not yet finished loading.

(2) The location at the bottom may actually be more "visible". With most sites (e.g. cnn.com) people tend to not scroll, but just read what is on the main screen. But with a forum like this one, the more intersting post is the newest one, at the bottom, so the first thing one might do is ignore the top and focus on the bottom. More research may be needed to prove or disprove this.

(3) The new layout is also better in that it does not break the chain of thought as you read a thread.

On a related note, you may find that if you focus this site on informing people, and not worry about ad revenue, you may end up a winner in the long run. This is not unlike how Google became popular in part.
    Not listening to all of your feedback with be foolish and disrespectful.

Although we own a tour company and display 3rd party ads, MiamiBeach411.com is a community website. If you see us start to loose direction, please smack me upside the head.

rk

Gus, thank you very much for your kind review of my comments. You have my vote for whatever office you decide to run for...

On the topic of Ads, google is getting ever more precise. I just saw the following in that other thread about the use/misuse of the F-word:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gus

LOL :lol:

Thankfully, Google has a strict policy of not allowing sexual and adult advertisements.

And if I decide to run for office, I'm calling you to be my campaign advisor.

rk

And there are some topics that leave Google speechless. At first I thought it was a network timeout, but I clicked refresh 4 or 5 times and still got this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL! I just tried it too!

Google is speechless! :lol:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12