Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rk

Default Suggestions on the new ad layout

[Split from here - http://forums.miamibeach411.com/inde...wthread/6267/]

No timeouts, but there seem to new Ads in every thread since yesterday that take an extra couple seconds to load. Is that by design?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Thanks, rk. We can always count of you to have our back regarding search engines and usability testing.

Yes, we are trying a new ad layout in the forum and in the "News" section, which you find via the "Learn" link.

Thank you for mentioning they ads are loading a little slow.

If anyone notices the forum pages loading slowly, or timing out, please let us know.

rk

Couple of seconds is probably on the max end. Most of the times the new ads take about half a second, I would say.

I am OK with the ad layout, though some will no doubt find it a bit distracting. It's a lot better than those ads on some sites that float over the center of the screen and block the view.

I had actually noticed it but I always blame it on my internet connection.

Gus

rk, thank you for private messaging me your ideas about the ad layout.

Thought it would be good to split the old topic to a new thread.

This weekend, I am going to move the ads to the footer.

(after I get the Advanced Search links working, first)

For the time being, I am going to keep the height of the ads the same, 300 pixels.

Good suggestions all around!

I'll update this thread, after we move the ads to the footer.

I don't really mind them in the middle, I see the point for that. But I think banner style would fit better, wide and short. But, hey, it ain't my bidness so I don't know the behind-the-scenes! If you are getting better play off the boxish ones, go for it.

A thinner, narrower rectangle works much better than the box that is there right now.

I like the idea of moving the ads to the footer.

Gus

Alright, we removed the ad table that was following the first post... you might think ads would perform well in that spot, especially since this is where the pros recommend, but not at Miami Beach 411. In general, the ads performed about 75% less than the previous layout.

We moved the ad table to the bottom of the page, following the last post in the thread.

We also increased the length of the search box.

Awhile back, we increased the width of the site.

Working on the "Advanced search" links, today.

Thank you for the feedback about the ad layout!

(Make sure to ask me the whole story at the meetup)

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Alright, we removed the ad table that was following the first post... you might think ads would perform well in that spot, especially since this is where the pros recommend, but not at Miami Beach 411. In general, the ads performed about 75% less than the previous layout.
    Would those be the social media experts?

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Yes, you could say that.

Next time we meet, I'll tell you who.

rk

I like the new layout. Moving the ads to the bottom is better in a few ways:

(1) There is no longer a perceptible delay in page loading. The (small) delay in loading the Ad panel is still there, but because the top part of the screen loads first, you don't immediately notice that the lower panel has not yet finished loading.

(2) The location at the bottom may actually be more "visible". With most sites (e.g. cnn.com) people tend to not scroll, but just read what is on the main screen. But with a forum like this one, the more intersting post is the newest one, at the bottom, so the first thing one might do is ignore the top and focus on the bottom. More research may be needed to prove or disprove this.

(3) The new layout is also better in that it does not break the chain of thought as you read a thread.

On a related note, you may find that if you focus this site on informing people, and not worry about ad revenue, you may end up a winner in the long run. This is not unlike how Google became popular in part.

Re. the Ad panel, I find the image ad on the left side more inviting, or at least easier to read, than the text on the right. This is in part because most people tend to just spend a fraction of a second looking at ads, and even two lines of small text is too long for that. Also, the fact the image tends to repeat several times is helpful, sort of takes time to sink in by repetition.

Just some random thoughts, please take with a grain of salt.

I have a funny observation. There is almost no differentiation visually between the google adsense stuff and your actual links at the bottom in the little boxes. Those look very much like google ads. It would seem, and I could be totally off, that if I were here to book some stuff with you and saw those, it would not be immediately apparent that they were what I needed to use to navigate your site. Maybe brand them with the logo or something? Or at least the color scheme.

Also, um... I was having a discussion the other day about the very valuable real estate "miami nightlife" in the google search. You guys rank really high, but... your information is a tad dated. Maybe it is not a big enough issue to worry about, but on the landing page - http://www.miamibeach411.com/nightlife.html - you list Voyage as a new club. Now, not only was that a pretty lame club, from all reports, it is no longer open, and hasn't been for a while. Anyway, just thought I would point that out, in case you did not know. If you need a suggestion, I would recommend either mentioning Bardot, a new hotspot, or Space, the long-time world-class club on the landing page. Or both.

As as you don't launch a video about the gal that lost 54 lbs eating at Taco Bell, I'm cool with wherever you place the add.

Gus

rk and coach,

I am listening to all of your suggestions, and have already began addressing your feedback (adios Voyage nightclub).

Over the next few days, I will track the performance of the new ad layout and reply back with the results.

In the meantime, is anyone seeing Google text ads for computer-related products like MYSQL and Oracle tuning?

Most of the time, I see tarted ads, but every know and then I'm seeing some weird ads that don't belong here.

Mostly ads for Disney, LOL. Damn I wanna go.

Right now I'm seeing an ad for Miami Duck Tours, via Buymiamitours.com

rk

Yes, I saw ads for SQL or mySQL related services twice since yesterday, I would esimate about 5% or 10% of the total ads I saw in that period. Just as a guess, I would say your page headers include sql someplace in there, and the google ad generator is not smart enough to separate the header from the body when looking for keywords.

Most of the times the ads seem related to the page topic, however.

One mystery is an ad for a "Remote Desktop" product I saw yesterday.

rk

Just to follow up, I have not seen any more sql ads since my last post above. It is possible those ads I saw earlier were when I visited this thread, which would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by coach
    Yes, you could say that.

Next time we meet, I'll tell you who.
    Hey! You forgot to tell me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast