Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Some sections of MB411 are blocked on Army networks

Split from http://forums.miamibeach411.com/inde...ewthread/6573/

[quote author="Jess" date="1265782518"][quote author="coach" date="1265754970"]
    I think it is stupid for companies to have internet filters up to keep people out of time-wasting website, but then to allow smokers to go out and puff one whenever they want.[/quote]

So true![/quote]

If you use a computer on the Army network here parts of MB411 are blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by wpns4l
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    Quote Originally Posted by coach
    I think it is stupid for companies to have internet filters up to keep people out of time-wasting website, but then to allow smokers to go out and puff one whenever they want.
    So true!
    If you use a computer on the Army network here parts of MB411 are blocked.
    (Probably half of Matt Meltzer's articles.)

Seriously, what is blocked on 411 at the Army network?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Jess, it appears the Army doesn't want their soldiers reading the featured stories in the "News" section.

wpns4l, we also use the same content management system for Events and Reviews, are those links blocked too?

Oh I see, like the drugs stories and so on. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Jess, it appears the Army doesn't want their soldiers reading the featured stories in the "News" section.

wpns4l, we also use the same content management system for Events and Reviews, are those links blocked too?
    I wont be back in the office for a few days Gus but i'll check then and see if they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess

Seriously, what is blocked on 411 at the Army network?
    The Army blocks a lot of stuff from their networks. No social media sites like facebook/myspace/twitter are allowed. Picture sharing sites like flikr arent allowed. No youtube or streaming music sites like pandora. No blogs, no flash game sites and no game sites like ign.com. Most forums are blocked also.

I dont spend much time in the office anyways so it doesn't really affect me. We have private internet in our rooms so if i want to read the news articles on the site i just do so from the comfort of my bed.

It doesn't really affect soldiers either. Its only Army ran networks that have these filters. Most soldiers here also have internet in their rooms thats unfiltered plus there are MWR facilities with computers for people to use that have no filters.

Still, I think it's cool that we're on the radar (no pun intended) enough that the Army blocks us. I know my friends in Iraq were able to read the old blog back in 2006. But I figured that's because it was relatively obscure.

One place I read 411 from blocks a LOT of sites, same as yours wpns like FB, Myspace, even the Victorias Secret website. But 411 is fine :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    I know my friends in Iraq were able to read the old blog back in 2006. But I figured that's because it was relatively obscure.
    White Dade also somehow gets through. And thank God. It has saved me from my hangovers on more than one occasion.