Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

  1. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    Just a reminder folks. I have been moderating this forum now for years and I know the tricks. So when you decide to spam this forum, not only do I BAN your ass but I also report your IP address. So you will be banned from other forums also.

    So the last spammer who wrote today saying hey, I'm in LA and I love forums... Your spelling was weird, I checked your IP. You were in India my dear so I found the other post you snuck in with some spam link and you're gone

    Your IP is now banned, have a nice day
    Christy and Catt like this.

  2. #22
    rk
    rk is offline
    Senior Member rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Likes Received
    258

    Default

    Jess, a reminder that almost all IP addresses are "floating" i.e. they are not the same from day to day, so banning by IP is one of the least effective things you can do, and in fact counter-productive because you're potentially preventing someone else from connecting in the future, hurting your own site.

    I suggested to Gus a long time ago to either discontinue banning by IP or at the very least have a sunset clause so it expires after a day or two, don't know what came of it.

  3. #23
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    rk, thanks but I was more making the point of F*** off to people who post spam links, not trying to be technical. As in when you say you're in the US and your IP address says India, it's a bit of a giveaway. And I do check IPs all the time, for this reason so I know where people are posting from.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default

    Big Sis is watching us.

    I'm using a remote US network from afar. Just curious, where is my IP reading from ?


    I'll try again later straight up to see if your reading changes.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Big Sis is watching us.

    I'm using a remote US network from afar. Just curious, where is my IP reading from ?


    I'll try again later straight up to see if your reading changes.
    I have those super powers, too, UPS!

    Name:  upsipaddress.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  23.6 KB

  6. #26
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default

    whats me 20 now Doug ?

  7. #27
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    LA is short for Lahore, Jess. You didn't know that?

  8. #28
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    LA is short for Lahore, Jess. You didn't know that?
    Ohhh, and here was me thinking Los Angeles... for God's sake

  9. #29
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Jess, a reminder that almost all IP addresses are "floating" i.e. they are not the same from day to day, so banning by IP is one of the least effective things you can do, and in fact counter-productive because you're potentially preventing someone else from connecting in the future, hurting your own site.

    I suggested to Gus a long time ago to either discontinue banning by IP or at the very least have a sunset clause so it expires after a day or two, don't know what came of it.
    So if we ban someone who pretends they're in the US when they're really in India, they can come on the next day with a different IP address? Hmm, wonder how they do that..very sneaky. They probably work in India and make $2.00 per day...sad.

  10. #30
    rk
    rk is offline
    Senior Member rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Likes Received
    258

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    ...they can come on the next day with a different IP address? Hmm, wonder how they do that..very sneaky. They probably work in India and make $2.00 per day...sad.
    If they're making $2/day they don't have time to spend on the Internet, but to answer your question:

    It doesn't take any skill to get a new IP address everyday, in fact that is the normal thing for most people. Almost all IP addresses are assigned "dynamically", i.e. when you connect to the Internet, you are assigned an IP address, when you disconnect (turn your computer off), that IP address is marked as free and given to the next person who needs one. There is a limited number of IP addresses, this way they are used by many more people, because most people are not online 24/7. The next day when you re-connect, you get the next available IP address, which is almost always different from the day before.

    Thus we see the problem with what Jess was describing. When you ban an IP address, you only harm yourself, because the next person to get that address will have trouble connecting to your site, while the original spammer will have no trouble since he/she now has a new address.

    It may be in most cases this is not a big deal because MB411 only has a few million visitors and there are a few billion IP addresses, so banning a few should not matter. But some addresses are shared more heavily than others. For example, if I sign in using the free Miami Beach WiFi, then spam this site, and someone bans my IP, what they're really banning is future tourists who may try to connect using the free Miami Beach Wifi. Or it could be the free WiFi at any of the hotels, airports, coffee shops, and so on.

    Banning by IP was (somewhat) effective in the 1980's and 1990's, now it is just counter-productive.

  11. #31
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    I meant maybe the spammers are getting paid to spam sites..I thought that companies hire people to spam. Thank u for the ip explanation!

  12. #32
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    whats me 20 now Doug ?
    Never got a response from this which might have proved you can register an IP from two different geographical regions.

  13. #33
    rk
    rk is offline
    Senior Member rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,781
    Likes Received
    258

    Default

    UTS, if you want to test what your IP appears to the outside world, just go to:

    http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm

    and if you click the "Submit" button it tries to show you which area it thinks your IP is registered in (I say "think" because it is only sometimes right).

    Faking an IP address (which is a different thing than what I was talking about above) is not only possible, it is child's play.

    If you want to know how to appear to be from someplace you are not, do a web search on "proxy server".

  14. #34
    Editor Matt Meltzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,738
    Likes Received
    847

    Default

    Yep. That's how I watch Marlins games on my computer when I'm still in Miami.

  15. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    And how I listen to the radio in the UK from Miami, which is against licensing laws

  16. #36
    Editor Christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,456
    Likes Received
    162

    Default

    Jess, how do you go about listening to the UK radio? They always have better music than the US stations..

  17. #37
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    whats me 20 now Doug ?
    It would appear that you're now in Costa Rica.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Blackford Oakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brickell Key / CFL
    Posts
    5,850
    Likes Received
    562

    Default

    Got back and still recovering.

    I brought back some Ronald Fonesca Saprissa Soccer Jerseys if anyone is interested.

  19. #39
    Senior Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    6,900
    Likes Received
    374

    Default

    Pura vida!

  20. #40
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Beach
    Posts
    10,353
    Likes Received
    698

    Default

    Christy it depends on the station I listen to. But usually capital radio London

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •