Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

Just a reminder folks. I have been moderating this forum now for years and I know the tricks. So when you decide to spam this forum, not only do I BAN your ass but I also report your IP address. So you will be banned from other forums also.

So the last spammer who wrote today saying hey, I'm in LA and I love forums... Your spelling was weird, I checked your IP. You were in India my dear so I found the other post you snuck in with some spam link and you're gone

Your IP is now banned, have a nice day
    Christy and Catt like this.

rk

Jess, a reminder that almost all IP addresses are "floating" i.e. they are not the same from day to day, so banning by IP is one of the least effective things you can do, and in fact counter-productive because you're potentially preventing someone else from connecting in the future, hurting your own site.

I suggested to Gus a long time ago to either discontinue banning by IP or at the very least have a sunset clause so it expires after a day or two, don't know what came of it.

rk, thanks but I was more making the point of F*** off to people who post spam links, not trying to be technical. As in when you say you're in the US and your IP address says India, it's a bit of a giveaway. And I do check IPs all the time, for this reason so I know where people are posting from.

Big Sis is watching us.

I'm using a remote US network from afar. Just curious, where is my IP reading from ?

I'll try again later straight up to see if your reading changes.

Default Re: To all spammers - screw your jerseys!

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Sun View Post
    Big Sis is watching us.

I'm using a remote US network from afar. Just curious, where is my IP reading from ?

I'll try again later straight up to see if your reading changes.
    I have those super powers, too, UPS!

Name:  upsipaddress.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  23.6 KB

whats me 20 now Doug ?

LA is short for Lahore, Jess. You didn't know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer View Post
    LA is short for Lahore, Jess. You didn't know that?
    Ohhh, and here was me thinking Los Angeles... for God's sake

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Jess, a reminder that almost all IP addresses are "floating" i.e. they are not the same from day to day, so banning by IP is one of the least effective things you can do, and in fact counter-productive because you're potentially preventing someone else from connecting in the future, hurting your own site.

I suggested to Gus a long time ago to either discontinue banning by IP or at the very least have a sunset clause so it expires after a day or two, don't know what came of it.
    So if we ban someone who pretends they're in the US when they're really in India, they can come on the next day with a different IP address? Hmm, wonder how they do that..very sneaky. They probably work in India and make $2.00 per day...sad.

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    ...they can come on the next day with a different IP address? Hmm, wonder how they do that..very sneaky. They probably work in India and make $2.00 per day...sad.
    If they're making $2/day they don't have time to spend on the Internet, but to answer your question:

It doesn't take any skill to get a new IP address everyday, in fact that is the normal thing for most people. Almost all IP addresses are assigned "dynamically", i.e. when you connect to the Internet, you are assigned an IP address, when you disconnect (turn your computer off), that IP address is marked as free and given to the next person who needs one. There is a limited number of IP addresses, this way they are used by many more people, because most people are not online 24/7. The next day when you re-connect, you get the next available IP address, which is almost always different from the day before.

Thus we see the problem with what Jess was describing. When you ban an IP address, you only harm yourself, because the next person to get that address will have trouble connecting to your site, while the original spammer will have no trouble since he/she now has a new address.

It may be in most cases this is not a big deal because MB411 only has a few million visitors and there are a few billion IP addresses, so banning a few should not matter. But some addresses are shared more heavily than others. For example, if I sign in using the free Miami Beach WiFi, then spam this site, and someone bans my IP, what they're really banning is future tourists who may try to connect using the free Miami Beach Wifi. Or it could be the free WiFi at any of the hotels, airports, coffee shops, and so on.

Banning by IP was (somewhat) effective in the 1980's and 1990's, now it is just counter-productive.

I meant maybe the spammers are getting paid to spam sites..I thought that companies hire people to spam. Thank u for the ip explanation!

whats me 20 now Doug ?
    Never got a response from this which might have proved you can register an IP from two different geographical regions.

rk

UTS, if you want to test what your IP appears to the outside world, just go to:

http://www.networldmap.com/TryIt.htm

and if you click the "Submit" button it tries to show you which area it thinks your IP is registered in (I say "think" because it is only sometimes right).

Faking an IP address (which is a different thing than what I was talking about above) is not only possible, it is child's play.

If you want to know how to appear to be from someplace you are not, do a web search on "proxy server".

Yep. That's how I watch Marlins games on my computer when I'm still in Miami.

And how I listen to the radio in the UK from Miami, which is against licensing laws

Jess, how do you go about listening to the UK radio? They always have better music than the US stations..

whats me 20 now Doug ?
    It would appear that you're now in Costa Rica.

Got back and still recovering.

I brought back some Ronald Fonesca Saprissa Soccer Jerseys if anyone is interested.

Pura vida!

Christy it depends on the station I listen to. But usually capital radio London

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12