Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us

Default Why does this site only cover the city of Miami?

I was thinking with the many members you have on this site from all over the world why donít you make this site cover other cities like NY/LA/CHI ect

Because this forum is the most informative i have come across
    Last edited by Jess; 03-14-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: retitled

Hi Daniel,
    This site was started by a couple named Gus and Michelle, who were at the time waiters in South Beach. Gus's dad came to town to visit and Gus tried to find info to play golf with him... there was no info on the web to be found so Gus and Michelle decided to start their own website: miamibeach411. (411 is the number for information in the USA, like 118 in England.)

The site has grown obviously, but one thing remains: Gus and Michelle and all their staff live or have lived in Miami. So we can give great advice as we see South Beach, Miami, Brickell etc every day. Why cover NY/ LA etc when none of us live there? MB411 works because you have locals writing... And none of us are leaving Miami anytime soon...

I like that story! So, basically if it weren't for Jim none of us would be here!

Miami Golf Courses - Miami Beach Golf Club

Just wanted to make sure, but yes we have lots of golf course listings.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

LOL. You guys are the best.

Jess, thanks for the 411 about all of us.

Christy, thanks for adding the "golf courses" link!

Daniel, that's an excellent question. We try to stick with subjects that are within the Florida State line, but we do have an "Off Topics" category, where we can talk about other things.

Coincidentally, this week, Carlos, Matt, and I are at the SXSW festival in Austin, TX, covering the interactive an film conference, which is not related to Miami, and all I can say right now is, it ain't so easy, when we're out of our element.

I've written several articles comparing life in Miami to other regions and cities, such as Central Florida, New Orleans, Austin and San Diego. While we do like to keep a Miami bent on things, we're still able to see how green the grass is on the other side of the fence! Maybe in the future, we could build an entire network of sites covering other cities, like Lonely Planet or Let's Go USA do....

Hi Daniel,

I also cover a lot of Florida travel outside the beaten path of Disney and we do have many discussions about the pros and cons of living in Dade versus Broward or Palm Beach. I am always the one saying "there's much more to Miami than Miami Beach and much more to Florida than Dade."

I do agree Miami Beach 411 is an excellent model for other community forums. I speak about the site frequently when I make presentations or am on a panel at social media gatherings and conferences.

But Jess is right, the only way a site like this could work in another city is for it to be run and moderated by locals. The other key to this site's success is that it doesn't depend on external advertising. There is no pressure or bias from advertisers. All conversations are organic and user generated. Other review and community sites don't have this freedom.