Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Miller

Thread: Why is the "Like" box on top of "New Forum Posts"?

Default Why is the "Like" box on top of "New Forum Posts"?

Just curious as to why the new "like" function is above "new forum posts" in the main page of the forums. I found the "new forum posts" when it was readily visible to be more useful. Someone "liking" a post doesn't intrigue me ...

Is this getting more people to engage in the forums?

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Good question, Maria.

I apologize for rolling out the "Like" feature, without introducing it, first. My only excuse is, when I saw it in use, I got so excited, I had to add it, right away. Mike and I feel this feature has enormous potential as it allows people to extract more value out of forums in less time.

That being said, I am not opposed to moving the "Like" box on the forum home page, below the "New Posts".

Does anyone else have a comment about where the box should go?

(I'm going to move this thread to the Site Feedback forum)

I never knew there was a "like" box. Goes to show how (un)observant I am! While we're on tech questions, I keep getting logged out. It used to be so that anytime I left and came back to MB411, I was still logged in, ..... even if it was a couple days later. Now I get logged out any time I close the site. This has been going on for a few days. How do I stay logged in, as I was able to do in the past?

Thanks.

Glenn

Gus

I never knew there was a "like" box.
    That must be because you've been using the "Today's Topic's" link in the main navigaion.

I've been wanting to thank you for mentioning when we removed the "What's New" link. Your comment had a lot to do with the new navigation changes we made. If you notice, we now have have the "Today's Topics" button in the main navigation, as well as links in your "My Account" menu to "View new posts" and "View active topics". If it wasn't for you pointing out how useful those links are, we would have never made the changes.

Now I get logged out any time I close the site. This has been going on for a few days. How do I stay logged in, as I was able to do in the past?
    Sorry about that. I'll add it to the top of the bug report. It might take a week to address. Tim is visiting Ireland until next Wednesday. In the meantime, I'll ask Mike to check it out.

Thanks, Gus.

Glenn

I prefer the new forum posts to be above the like box. It threw me off for a few days as well.

A new "like" doesn't really tell me anything. A new forum post adds to the conversation and usually requires a response.

rk

I agree, the new posts should be above the likes box.

Michael Miller

Cool

I say move it to the bottom... I would say let's meet everyone half way and put it in the middle however order of operations keeps making my OCD kick in lol... - Gus just shoot me a PM when/where you want it and I'll make it happen.

On the logged in issue... hmm I had a issue right when we first introduced the new login on the home page however once I cleared my browser cookies & cache it was resolved. *I will note that some are unaware you have a cache in your browser... most know about cookies or by now have at least heard of them etc but be sure clear both then close your browser and if it's been a while since you restarted.... give it a quick try after closing the browser... it sort of settles the muck you've been stirring around since the last restart . Sometimes that's the fix for some and not others so let's try that first and let me know if it worked?

Thanks!

Thanks Michael. Ironically, it started happening about the time I did clear out my browser history.

Glenn

Michael Miller

GandJ,

Do me a favor and try logging into the home page and forum on separate occasions and let me know if there's a difference?

Gus

Gus just shoot me a PM when/where you want it and I'll make it happen.
    Survey says... move the "Like Box". Yes, please move the "New Forum Posts" box to the top. (Good eye, Maria).

Make the "New Posts" box display 5 threads.

On the logged in issue... hmm I had a issue right when we first introduced the new login on the home page however once I cleared my browser cookies & cache it was resolved.
    Isn't the "logged in" issue controlled by the Expression Engine cookie now?

Default Re: Why is the "Like" box on top of "New Forum Posts"?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post
    GandJ,

Do me a favor and try logging into the home page and forum on separate occasions and let me know if there's a difference?

I'm not sure what you mean by that? I log in to MiamiBeach411.com. How do I log into a the forum or the home page separately from Miamibeach411? Aren't they all part of MiamiBeach411?

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 04-22-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Michael Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Survey says... move the "Like Box". Yes, please move the "New Forum Posts" box to the top. (Good eye, Maria).

Make the "New Posts" box display 5 threads.

Isn't the "logged in" issue controlled by the Expression Engine cookie now?
    Done .

Quote Originally Posted by GandJ View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that? I log in to MiamiBeach411.com. How do I log into a the forum or the home page separately from Miamibeach411? Aren't they all part of MiamiBeach411?

Glenn
    The Home page login, while visually similar are different code i.e. different systems, so I was curious is there was a difference at all between the two, so if you login at:

http://www.miamibeach411.com
    Is there a issue?

AND

If you login at:
    http://forums.miamibeach411.com
    Is there a issue?

Of course you need to logout one from the other but see if there is a difference when you have a second or two.

Just curious
    rk likes this.

rk

The New Posts are now above the Like box, thanks.

Re. the login, I did not do extensive testing, but noticed the following anamoly:

When I login from the Forum page, it acts as I expect, but when I go back to the Home page, it shows "Login" at the top, as if I have not yet logged in.

When I login from the Home page, it lets me login, then throws me forward to the Forum page automatically, which shows me logged in. When I click on Home to go to the Home page, it acts like I am not logged in yet.

It seems like my results are similar to rk's, excpet I get logged out if I leave the site and return.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 04-24-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    When I login from the Forum page, it acts as I expect, but when I go back to the Home page, it shows "Login" at the top, as if I have not yet logged in.

When I login from the Home page, it lets me login, then throws me forward to the Forum page automatically, which shows me logged in. When I click on Home to go to the Home page, it acts like I am not logged in yet.
    Sorry about that. Tim returns home on Wednesday and this is at the top of his list. Soon you see that you're logged in on the Home page and weblogs. You're logged in now, it just doesn't show it yet.

And we'll also change the setting, so you don't get forcefully logged out anymore.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post
    Done .
    Mike, please change the setting on the "New Forum Posts" box to display 5 threads.