Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Strange Blue Bar Appearing Over MB411 Navigation Buttons in Explorer 8

Default Strange Blue Bar Appearing Over MB411 Navigation Buttons in Explorer 8

I noticed this morning that when I visit the site using an IE browser, a blue bar is appearing over the navigation buttons, preventing me from logging in/out or visiting other parts of the site. Things seem to be okay with my Firefox browser, however.

Name:  mb411bluebar.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  106.0 KB
    Last edited by Doug; 05-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Michael Miller

Doug do me a favor and check it now?

(I'm on IE9 now... try compatibility view if it's still there after initial refresh)

Thanks

Michael Miller

Actually my daughter's pc still has IE8 (Vista) and I checked my changes there and you can now see the navigation still a slight hint of a thin white line though... off to tinker let me know if it's better on your end Doug .
    Last edited by Michael Miller; 05-06-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: lol spWelling it twas!

rk

I don't see the blue bar in IE9 on Win7 nor IE8 on XP, but if I click the "compatibility view" on either one the blue bar appears. I am guessing Doug either has IE7 or older, or has compatibility view selected by accident.

I do see the thin white line at bottom and right that you mentioned.
    Michael Miller likes this.

rk

Here's another one for you. It may be related to the other fixes you're making so I'll throw it in here. I've been seeing it the last couple of weeks. Normally I use IE8 and IE9 on Win7. (Right now it happened with IE8 on Win7)

The menu bar goes a bit haywire every so often, so items that should appear in the "My Account" drop down list start appearing on the menu bar directly. See attached image for example. When I click on "My Account" in this mode, I just see two items: no. of posts and number of likes (see second attached image below).

As best as I tell I get into this altered menu state just after I post a reply. After that, the only way I can get back to "normal" is by visiting some other web sites then coming back to MB411 forums. Note that there is no log-out option once you get trapped in this alternate menu.

Not very bothersome, so no big rush.

Name:  Menu-error-01.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  Menu-error-02.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  36.4 KB
    Last edited by rk; 05-06-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

I'm running IE 8 with Vista. I just checked and the blue bar is still there. It also tells me I'm signed out, and I can't access the sign in button. So today I'm just using Firefox...

rk

Doug, did you try clicking on the "compatibility view" button in IE? It's just next to the page refresh button (to the right of the address field.)

Hi rk, yes, that fixed it! On my browser, I found it under a heading called "page". It said compatability view was set for all websites, so I unchecked it. I wonder why it changed its settings on its own? Anyway, yes, that seems to have resolved the issue. The blue bar went away!
    Last edited by Doug; 05-06-2011 at 04:51 PM.

rk

It gets clicked by accident sometimes, because it's also a small button just next to the Refresh button (the one that looks like two arrows). I find it's placement somewhat annoying, as people tend to click the Refresh quite often.

In any case glad it's better, and consistent with what happened on my system. Mike will still have to do the hard work and fix it for both cases, still many out there with older browsers.

It's funny, because I think the purpose of compatability view is to make websites easier to read. It is apparently doing just the opposite!

rk

Default Re: Strange Blue Bar Appearing Over MB411 Navigation Buttons in Explorer 8

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It's funny, because I think the purpose of compatability view is to make websites easier to read. It is apparently doing just the opposite!
    Yes, haha, the road to heck is paved with good intentions.

As an aside, the compatibility view is not meant for ease of reading, but to make some older sites work better with the new browser. It's for a scenario like the following: You have a website you visit often, then you upgrade from IE7 to IE8. Suddenly that same site looks weird. What happened, a bug in IE8? No, in most cases the bug was in the site design, but IE7 was more forgiving, while IE8 is more strict, so the site looks weird. So they added the "compatibility view" button to help you in those cases.

Of course the present problem is the reverse, and no doubt Mike will have it fixed faster than I can type this message.

Michael Miller

Ok the blue bar should be completely gone, just tested on daughter's pc... as for your My Account drop-down rk I've checked the code... perhaps I overlooked something so going now to look it over once more .
    Doug and rk like this.

rk

Yes, blue bar is gone. The odd menu I mentioned in my post with figures is still there, in fact I just got it simply by logging in, even before i posted anything.

It's not all that bothersome. Mainly it prevents me from logging out, but I just exit the browser at some point (30 or 60 mins?) the site must log out out inactive users because I get logged out eventually.

Michael Miller

Default Re: Strange Blue Bar Appearing Over MB411 Navigation Buttons in Explorer 8

Quote Originally Posted by rk View Post
    Yes, blue bar is gone. The odd menu I mentioned in my post with figures is still there, in fact I just got it simply by logging in, even before i posted anything.

It's not all that bothersome. Mainly it prevents me from logging out, but I just exit the browser at some point (30 or 60 mins?) the site must log out out inactive users because I get logged out eventually.
    rk,

After you login, I know on the forums you should see a new tab "My Account" and that's one of the issues we are discussing however if you click on the "Home" or "Top Stories" does it show the "My Account" drop-down tab as well OR does it still show the "Login" "Sign-Up" "Help" "Today's Topics" above the search?

Sincerely,

Mike

rk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Miller View Post
    rk,

After you login, I know on the forums you should see a new tab "My Account" and that's one of the issues we are discussing however if you click on the "Home" or "Top Stories" does it show the "My Account" drop-down tab as well OR does it still show the "Login" "Sign-Up" "Help" "Today's Topics" above the search?

Sincerely,

Mike
    If I am logged in and then click on the Home or Top-Stories, I see those pages but with the "Login" on the menu bar, as if I am not yet logged in. If I click on the Forum button then I see "My Account" again, as if I am still logged in (though with that buggy drop list which won't let me log out any more).

This is with IE8 or IE9 on Win7, and IE8 on XP.

rk

I just did an experiment that may shed light on this. Let me test again and I'll post in a minute.

rk

All right, here is a good clue:

If I login under my alter-ego (r_k) everything works as expected, i.e. the My Account drop-list is not messed up, and I can go to Home and other pages and still appear to be logged in.

If I login as my usual name (rk) the My Account and other items are messed up as reported above. I can still post, I just can't log out.

This seems related to the new restrictions that prevent people from logging in with less than 3-char usernames (which is what forced me to start as new member named r_k a few weeks ago).

Then a few days later I discoverd a workaround, and I started using rk again, but that must result in the messed up menu bar.

The way I login as rk isn as follows:

I enter my username and password, and I get a new window that says something like "Usernames must be at least 3 chars in length" and shows a field where I can enter a new username and old password. At that point if I click on the small link at upper-left labeled "Miami Beach 411" it takes me back to the main page, and from there I click on Forum and suddenly I am logged in as "rk". That's what I have been doing because at least I have all my posts back even though that prevents me from logging out.

Hope this information is useful.

rk

Probably related to the new login scheme, the number of 'active' users shown at lower left of forum page has been growing monotonically all afternoon. See new thread started by Jess.

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

rk, are you still having trouble logging out?

Are you using the "Logout" link in the "My Account" menu?

Today, the login cookie was changed to I believe 10 years, so you may see yourself staying logged in, unless you close the web browser, of course.

rk

Gus, thanks for checking. Yes, I can logout fine now. Mike made some changes a while back that fixed that problem. We discussed in another thread, I should have posted a summary here.

There are a couple of oddities with the menu bar which were not there before. They seem to show up on IE9 on Win7 64-bit. I will do some screen captures and start a new thread about it later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast